HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2002, 05:25 PM
Owensboro, Kentucky, United States
Joined Oct 2002
296 Posts
Rene Fonck's SPAD XIII colors

Hi All,

I'm trolling for a little information on Rene Fonck's SPAD namely the paint scheme colors. I have pictures of his SPAD and others painted in the French 5 color scheme but am unable to determine the true colors (or close approximations ) I had read that the french actually mixed in aluminum with the paint to reduce the damage from the sun's ultra-violet rays and so far the pictures I have bare this out. It just seems a little strange seeing a WW1 aircraft with paint that looks like it should be on a Hot Rod. Any help will be appreciated. Also any ideas for plans for a SPAD XIII?

Thanks,
Tracy
wespe is offline Find More Posts by wespe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2002, 10:30 PM
FLB
Montreal-Toulouse
Joined Jul 2002
420 Posts
Hi Wespe,

Here is a link to "Musée de l'air et de l'Espace" in Paris with a picture of Fonck's Spad XIII. Search for "Les collections" then "La Grande Gallerie", number 27 (I join the picture):

http://www.mae.org/

I have no plan but some 3 views. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Regards.

FLB
FLB is offline Find More Posts by FLB
Old Oct 13, 2002, 08:37 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,013 Posts
Yes the French did add the aluminum powder to their paints. It wasn't as "sparkley" as you might fear. A friend did a Proctor N.28 some years ago and used powder in his paints very effectively.

Have you got the Osprey "Aircraft of the Aces" book on Spad aces?

You can get very accurate colours with the Albatros Datafiles on the Spad VII and XIII. These are available through Hannan's Runway.

Cheers,

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Oct 13, 2002, 09:35 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
WW1 info

WESPE, perhaps I can help somewhat. I have an extensive library of info on WW1 aircraft. One of my hobbies is the research of this era of history. I'm glad there are other people who share this passion. Feel free to E-mail me. Would love to chat. By the way, am looking for a set of plans for an Albatros DIII-Va. Can you/anyone help?
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Oct 13, 2002, 12:53 PM
Owensboro, Kentucky, United States
Joined Oct 2002
296 Posts
SPAD colors

Thanks for all the input guys. I needed a starting place, I think that there will be a few raised eyebrows when this monstrosity finally shows up. Hopefully I can stretch this puppy out to match up to scale with the Fokker DVIII I have stashed in my closet partially finished using modified Earl Stahl plans. She's about 1/6 scale.

Thanks,
Tracy
wespe is offline Find More Posts by wespe
Old Oct 14, 2002, 08:45 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,013 Posts
Martys, I have a fair bit on the DIII-V. What do you need and what is your snailmail address?

Cheers,

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine