HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2003, 12:50 PM
Monte Cristi - Dominican Republic
Joined Sep 2000
855 Posts
And here is my solution to lightening servos. I removed all of the case and gears, and soldered a small control arm directly to the motor (all from an HS-50). I just glued the motor to the servo amp board and mounted the thing directly on the stab. If you use a LONG control arm on the control surface, the motor has enough to torque to give you positive control. Mine was literally about 1.5 inches, I didn't get a lot of throw, but it worked incredibly well.

The feedback pot was mounted to the stab, with the wipers connected to the control suface so that it moved with along with the rudder and elevator. You must use a fancy transmitter to get this to work, I had to set my throws to about 4% ATV or it would burn the motors up trying to push the feedback pot further than it mechanically could. It was a lot of effort, but at the time it was worth it

Jason
jnowell is offline Find More Posts by jnowell
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2003, 05:29 PM
Ireland
Joined Aug 2003
116 Posts
I have just been working with a multiplex ms-x1 and if you do the speed hack you can indeed use only 3 gears which brings the gear box weight down to 0.5g from teh origional 0.6g. But the includes the "ball race" (its not a actual ball race but its a kind of plastic thing) it also includes all of the out put gear so you could probably get it down to 0.3g with a bit of effort. a good saving in my opinion.

Regards
Ian Mc Donald
Team Ireland is offline Find More Posts by Team Ireland
Old Oct 25, 2003, 05:49 PM
Ireland
Joined Aug 2003
116 Posts
Did another weigh in simply by removing what would be the ball race the servo gear set is down to only 0.3g

A nice simple saving

Regards
Ian Mc Donald
Team Ireland is offline Find More Posts by Team Ireland