Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 14, 2003, 02:22 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
If you need a small/light receiver, the MPI micro RX is light. Mine weighs 4 grams w/ the long Azarr antennae and regualar connecting pins, im sure removing the pins and their plastic bases would shave off a gram. Im not brave enough to do that, and none of my stuff would notice a gram.
Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2003, 02:20 AM
Ireland
Joined Aug 2003
116 Posts
Hi

What do you people think of the new Saturn s49 servo that has ben released. Its specs are:
Weight: 4.9g
Torque@4.8v: 1.2kg/cm
Torque @6v: 1.5kg/cm
Speed@4.8v: 0.12
Speed@6v: 0.10
Size: 20 x 8 x 16.2
And it only costs 17.20pounds sterling.

What you think?

Regards
Ian Mc Donald
Team Ireland is offline Find More Posts by Team Ireland
Old Sep 25, 2003, 02:44 AM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2001
155 Posts
I'm using the saturn 4.9 in my ventus and soon to appear rc whoopee (quintuplane!!!)

I'll let ya'll know how they fair.
fastbloke is offline Find More Posts by fastbloke
Old Sep 26, 2003, 05:47 PM
Ireland
Joined Aug 2003
116 Posts
I reckon they could (like the saturn 54) as they have a push fit gear set so you could remove the top of the case.

Regards
Ian Mc Donald
Old Sep 29, 2003, 03:31 AM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted and just wanted you all to know that I got word from a cool company that has taken my suggestion and desire for a lightweight and affordable ultra micro servo, that we could use both in "palm size" fixed as well as rotary wing miniature models, for total RC control.

I am happy to know this is in the works and that it will be around 1.5 grams, as an "off the shelf" affordable item, something I have been craving desperately, for a while now, so that I can make available my "Palm Size" heli kits.

Stay in tune either through this post or through my web site which I will update as soon as I can disclose more.

Mario I. Arguello
www.micro-flight.com (revamped with new stuff)
Mario is offline Find More Posts by Mario
Last edited by Mario; Sep 29, 2003 at 03:45 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 09:49 AM
Crashmaster Extraordinair
Clarksville, TN
Joined Apr 2002
730 Posts
is there anything wrong with re-gearing a servo to increase its torque and decrease its speed, or vice versa?
Sparr is offline Find More Posts by Sparr
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:02 AM
Hmm, kerosene... :)
Weert(LB) - the Netherlands
Joined May 2002
953 Posts
Sparr, I wouldn't be concerned with increasing torque (e.g. higher gear-ratio)

Increasing speed will probably also increase the current the motor needs (to start up) . This may lead to smoking motors and/or control circuits.

Other than that, good luck and let us know how it works out

Hans
NightSwan is offline Find More Posts by NightSwan
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:40 AM
Clarksville, TN
Joined Apr 2002
730 Posts
Actually I was less interested in the speed/torque results than in the weight savings from eliminating gears (and gear shafts). I have some stripped gears from a HS55 here, just counted all the teeth. Ratios look like 20:8, 48:10, 48:12, 32:8, and 31:10, for a total of approx 600:1 with 6 gears (including the 8 tooth metal pinion). Replacing the first drive gear with a clone of the second drive gear and then removing the 4th drive gear would give you a ratio around 372:1. This would give you about 80% more speed, 40% less torque, and save you the weight of one of the two heaviest gears at the cost of the weight of half of one of the middle gears. If you could replace the pinion with a 6-tooth plastic pinion then you would save even more weight and get back closer to the original performance.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:56 AM
Clarksville, TN
Joined Apr 2002
730 Posts
also, it seems that the wires from the PCB to the POT could be eliminated completely. the pins on the POT line up almost perfectly with the contacts on the PCB. the PCB would be mounted kinda crooked inside the case, but thats a nonissue. I am going to be trying both this idea and the previous one shortly.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:27 AM
Clarksville, TN
Joined Apr 2002
730 Posts
unfortunately the small half of the second drive gear doesnt quite fit in place of the first drive gear, and I am not up to the task of building a new gearbox. maybe the wire removal idea will work out better
Old Oct 01, 2003, 05:18 PM
Ireland
Joined Aug 2003
116 Posts
I along with many others have been "Speed hacking" servo's for quite a while now. The best servos we have found so far are the supertec pico, the multiplex ms-x1 and the supertec s136l/2bb (this one is 33g so is not suitable for micro flight)

The pico and ms-x1 both weigh 6g(ish) and have a 5gear gear box.

Here is a link on how to speed hack them.
http://www.teamspark.co.uk/hsp/

I am not sure if it is possible to remove the 2 gears which are no longer used i will check in the morning.

I hope this helps

Regards
Ian Mc Donald

(p.s. the guide says "this guide assumes the servo is already modified for 360deg controlled movement". This is what we do in robotics to make the servo's go continiously around by disabeling the pot. Leave the pot as it is and you will be fine)
Old Oct 01, 2003, 09:51 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
IAN,

How much lighter does the servo weight after the speed hacking?

MIA
Mario is offline Find More Posts by Mario
Old Oct 01, 2003, 09:58 PM
account suspended
Joined Jun 2003
453 Posts
is the 1.5 the 1.7 falcon servo or the 1.4/1.9 didle servo?
my palm heli is only 3 in.
EricCartman is offline Find More Posts by EricCartman
Old Oct 02, 2003, 12:40 PM
Ireland
Joined Aug 2003
116 Posts
Mario to be quite honest i dont know but i should be back on later at about 11-12o'clock gmt and will put up the weight of the full gear set and the weight of the gear set less the gear accurate to 0.1g

Regards
Ian Mc Donald
Old Oct 02, 2003, 12:45 PM
Monte Cristi - Dominican Republic
Joined Sep 2000
855 Posts
Here's an old, ugly pic of my first GWS Rx lightening project. I took off the Pos and Neg pins, and most of the pin block. Replaced everything with Magnet wire, and even mounted the ESC on the side and connected it up with magnet wire as well.

It was my first sub 1 ounce model, before I found RFFS and actuators.

Jason
jnowell is offline Find More Posts by jnowell