HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2007, 08:57 PM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
Discussion
Basketcase (Wayne Leynse) Rest in Peace

I am sorry to have to tell everyone that Basketcase (Wayne Leynse) passed away today.

He was a great flyer, friend and resource to me and I know many of you here on Ezone/RCGroups. Through all his illness and setbacks he was always pleasent and positive. I have had the pleasure to call him my friend and flying buddy for 5 years. He truely enjoyed our hobby and it kept him going in good times and bad.

I am in contact with his family and they asked that I post his passing on the forum because they were aware of his enjoyment conversing with the many extended friends he had here. I have been asked about where people could send flowers and cards and I will check with his family and post that here.

I would ask that you post any thoughts, prayers, or sympathy in this thread as I will be printing the responses and providing it to his family.

I have included in this thread a few pictures of Wayne as well as his last post on RCGroups below.

Thanks,

Jay

Hi everyone, thanks for asking. Jay let me know about this thread so here I am. I'm still alive and getting back to normal after a way too long break. Had another bout with the same old heart problem I've been dealing with for years. Along with some other stuff. The name Basketcase describes more than just my flying ability. lol

Made my first re-entry flight just about a month ago. Then the weather turned and I've only gotten out six more times since then. Pretty rusty but it's coming back to me. So far have only managed to crash one plane, the MUS, and it's an easy fix. And the weather is improving too. The better the weather gets, the more motivated I get, hopefully I'll be back out flying and back on the Zone a lot more soon.

Take care all,
Wayne
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2007, 09:10 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
When I go, I won't ever regret all the planes, not one of them
So many planes, so little time..
RIP, Wayne.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Mar 24, 2007, 09:28 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
8,006 Posts
What a shame. I had some interesting and enjoyable exchanges with Basketcase over the years.

He will be missed.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Mar 24, 2007, 09:35 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
It is really hard to express what goes through your mind when something like this happens.
It seems unreal that he is gone. But still there are his posts on here to help remember him by. And others will benefit from them.

I am sorry he is gone taken too soon. But I am glad he did get to enjoy his hobby till the end.
So long BC,
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 09:36 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,513 Posts

'Nuff said.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 24, 2007, 09:45 PM
pray for our troops
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2005
959 Posts
I really didn't know Wayne well, but we did talk here and there on the groups. I've still got some music that he e-mailed me back over the summer last year. Appropriately enough it was bi-plane music that he had attached to video he took of flying his pico moth. Looked like he was having a great time too.

Yes, he will be missed around here.

Rob
pac ace is offline Find More Posts by pac ace
Old Mar 24, 2007, 09:48 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,254 Posts
RIP..Wayne.

So sad to learn of Waynes' death,I never met him but we exchanged comments about his Switchback & TM...I think he was instrumental in me getting both those planes a few years ago...& having so much flyin them....peace be to your soul Wayne.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Mar 24, 2007, 09:48 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,948 Posts
Wayne was the most compassionate, generous and kindhearted person I've ever known without actually meeting in person.

Even in times of duress, Wayne was always there to lend his knowledge to those asking for help. His high spirits and unselfish attitude will always be remembered.

Most importantly, I hope his family weathers this storm. My condolences to them.

Dave Purwin
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:05 PM
pray for our troops
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2005
959 Posts
Does anyone know how to attach a wma file. I wanted to share the music that I mentioned above in post #6. It seems appropriate.

Rob
pac ace is offline Find More Posts by pac ace
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:15 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quite simply stated, I would never have discovered the joy and fun of flying the Pico Tiger Moth if it had not been for Wayne. His knowledge of the model, the modifications he developed and/or categorized for all to see, were the building blocks of knowledge for my Tiger Moth. A young friend of mine had already discovered RCGroups and Basket Case. When building the Tiger Moth that I ultimately bought from him, we both referred many times to the posts that Wayne made concerning the model, questions that people asked, including many of the dumb questions I posted.

Today, I was privileged to be at the wedding of my young friend, who built my Moth and introduced me to RCG and Basketcase. How bittersweet it is that I come home, go up on RCGroups, and learn that Wayne as left us and the Tiger Moth community. I jokingly referred to him as the Father Moth many moons ago, in recognition of his contributions to "Mothdom". The term now has a more permanent association with flying Tiger Moths. Each flight of my Tiger Moth, from this point on, will indeed be a salute to Wayne. He will be remembered by me as indeed, the Father Moth. My sincere condolences to his family. Please know that out here in cyberspace, there are many, many people who benefitted from Waynes knowledge and generosity with information and tips about building and flying our little Tiger Moths. He will be sorely missed.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:17 PM
Needs a vacation
In a house
Joined Nov 2005
2,246 Posts
Although I never personally talked to Wayne, I will miss him just as much as everybody else. My condolences go out to all of his family and friends. I hope many will benefit from his posts well into the future, and hope in that way, he will live forever here on RCGroups.
I assure you the next time I fly, I'll be rocking my wings in salute to you, Wayne.
Rest In Peace, and keep the blue side up.
thermlin' is offline Find More Posts by thermlin'
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:17 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
though i could never fly with Wayne - (we were on the same channel ) - i always enjoyed his thoughts when i was getting back into the hobby. My condolences to the family.
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:26 PM
Make 'n Break!!
Walled 'tucky, MI. USA
Joined Apr 2006
1,766 Posts
I don't know if I ever talked to Wayne but I do recall reading his last post. Didn't know it at the time. Hopefully he's flyin high now. Everbody goes sometime. Watcha gonna do. Rest in peace Wayne. May God be with you and your family.
roosevelt is offline Find More Posts by roosevelt
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:41 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
This a sad time for me as I flew with Wayne and the Crash Fest bunch and a finer gentleman I have yet to meet. The whole group graciously let me fly with them and I enjoyed talking to all but especially Wayne. I recently purchased the big Tiger Moth primarily due to the PMs that Wayne and I exchanged and will dedicate it's maiden flight to Wayne along with the video! I will miss you buddy and may you always have fair skies and calm winds on your journey's. Good Bye and God speed! You will be greatly missed!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:43 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,840 Posts
It's hard to think of ezone and not think of Basketcase-really nice guy and probably the Tigermoth authority!

I found one of my first posts from back in 2002 and there he is.

2002 post

It feels strange reading it and seeing his avatar and now knowing he is gone.

Remember the video of him weaving the moth through the trees?

I just hope he is flying moths and switchbacks in a beautiful open field (with some trees for moth weaving) with no wind and lipos that never run down...

rest in peace, friend.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar