Old Mar 23, 2007, 01:57 PM
and proud of it!
Northern Kentucky
Joined Jan 2007
240 Posts
Discussion
World Engines

Hello everyone,

Has anyone heard of World Engines, based out of Cincinnati, OH? I have an 15- year old ASP .40 from World Engines and was wondering how common they were. This isn't my preferred RC line...

KG
kentuckyglider is offline Find More Posts by kentuckyglider
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2007, 06:52 PM
Joined Jan 2006
262 Posts
Does it have a two piece crankcase? If not it is just about the same as tne current Magnum. New Magnums and ASP engines are made by the same people, also SC. I am currently trying to fix mine, it has a loose needle valve and just needs the little O Ring I hope. I belive World Engines was sold to ISD then ISD to Hobbico. I learned this here, that Hobbico does not have many ASP parts; but there is no need to wory in that Hobby People sell the Magnum, have alot of parts and good info on their website.

If it is like mine most parts would not be available, except for the ones that are used on the more current Magnum, carb muffler. Bearings are just about always available from bearing vendors.

When I first got the engine I took it apart (it rattled) removed the loose piece of metal, cleaned the crank pin, then my dad cleaned up the porting a little. It is a very powerful engine, but if memory serves the engine drank a bit, used it for two year on a QB 40; which was made in the other china. I plan on using it this year.

Greg
gzkpez is offline Find More Posts by gzkpez
Last edited by gzkpez; Mar 23, 2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:21 PM
Aberdeen, WA
Joined Sep 2001
315 Posts
actually, I believe World Engines was sold to
Horizen Hobby.
Ben
benlo2d is offline Find More Posts by benlo2d
Old Mar 24, 2007, 03:47 PM
and proud of it!
Northern Kentucky
Joined Jan 2007
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzkpez
Does it have a two piece crankcase? If not it is just about the same as tne current Magnum. New Magnums and ASP engines are made by the same people, also SC. I am currently trying to fix mine, it has a loose needle valve and just needs the little O Ring I hope. I belive World Engines was sold to ISD then ISD to Hobbico. I learned this here, that Hobbico does not have many ASP parts; but there is no need to wory in that Hobby People sell the Magnum, have alot of parts and good info on their website.

If it is like mine most parts would not be available, except for the ones that are used on the more current Magnum, carb muffler. Bearings are just about always available from bearing vendors.

When I first got the engine I took it apart (it rattled) removed the loose piece of metal, cleaned the crank pin, then my dad cleaned up the porting a little. It is a very powerful engine, but if memory serves the engine drank a bit, used it for two year on a QB 40; which was made in the other china. I plan on using it this year.

Greg

To be honest, I have no idea whether it has a two piece crankcase or not. It looks like it comes apart, so you might be right.
I've never built a fuel plane before, my dad had a trainer kit and this engine in the garage for 15 years. He finally just let me build it, but I'm having a heck of a time getting it to start. I'm using the sticky at the top of the forum on the subject, but I still managed to flood the crankcase and damage my prop. Off to the hobby shop...

KG
Old Mar 25, 2007, 09:46 PM
Joined Jan 2006
262 Posts
Do you have the instructions that came with the engine? If you do there is an error (at least in mine) in a diagram that reversed the "idle needle valve" and the "throtle stop". If you do not I recomend downloading a PDF of the new Mag. 40 (it is a different engine but the same carb). http://media.hobbypeople.net/manual/210756.pdf

The props suggested in the ASP manual that I have are 9x8 to 10x6 which is a little different. (no 11 inch prop)

Greg
gzkpez is offline Find More Posts by gzkpez
Old Mar 27, 2007, 05:52 PM
and proud of it!
Northern Kentucky
Joined Jan 2007
240 Posts
I have the original instructions, but the diagram was alright. This is really pretty old. I'd scan the instructions for those of you who are curious, but I don't have a scanner.

Thanks for the info, everybody!

KG