HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 23, 2007, 01:19 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,915 Posts
Discussion
Gas engine blowing white smoke... help please.

Okay, to be honest, this isn't a plane question, and I'm sorry. If this needs to be posted in another section, please move it. However, I thought this would be the best place to ask for small gasoline engine advice.

I just brought out the lawn mower after sitting in the garage all winter (long, wet winters in Oregon) and after starting it up, it blows a lot of white smoke. I shut it off immedietly and thought I'd ask if anyone knows what's up. Is there oil or water in my gas? Should I drain it and refill it with fresh gas? It uses a seperate oil tank and I believe it's a 4-stroke, but I could be wrong.

I'm an electric flyer and I probebly should've bought an electric lawn mower, but the cordless ones were out of my price range, and I didn't want a corded one because I feared running over the cord (Zap!).

Any help would be apresiated.

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2007, 04:58 PM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Turn it on, and let it run for a bit and see if things clear up.
Put new fuel in there also, and oil.
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Mar 24, 2007, 08:49 PM
Joined Apr 2004
76 Posts
A little wine, a romantic dinner,,, what better way to "turn on" your lawn mower!
N726AC is offline Find More Posts by N726AC
Old Mar 24, 2007, 09:27 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
437 Posts
if it has an oil fill it's a 4 stroke, it is prob just old gas, drain it and replace the gas.

If it has a seperate oil fill that isn't part of the engine casing it will be a 2 stroke.

A picture would help of the engine
jnida63 is offline Find More Posts by jnida63
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:53 AM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW
Okay, to be honest, this isn't a plane question, and I'm sorry. If this needs to be posted in another section, please move it. However, I thought this would be the best place to ask for small gasoline engine advice.

I just brought out the lawn mower after sitting in the garage all winter (long, wet winters in Oregon) and after starting it up, it blows a lot of white smoke. I shut it off immedietly and thought I'd ask if anyone knows what's up. Is there oil or water in my gas? Should I drain it and refill it with fresh gas? It uses a seperate oil tank and I believe it's a 4-stroke, but I could be wrong.

I'm an electric flyer and I probebly should've bought an electric lawn mower, but the cordless ones were out of my price range, and I didn't want a corded one because I feared running over the cord (Zap!).

Any help would be apresiated.

-Frank

-----------

White smoke is usually an indication of having water in the fuel. Drain the fuel tank and refill with fresh gas.

On the other hand, I doubt that running water through the engine will damage it at all and it might clear up after a while. So, if the engine is running well enough to mow the lawn, just go ahead and mow.

Ed Cregger
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:41 AM
Joined Apr 2004
76 Posts
Ok, it will not run with water in the fuel, it obviously seems to be a four stroke engine. I am betting it is an overhead valve engine, also betting that a little oil has seeped by the valve guides and/or seals. Just start the thing and let it run. It will 'burn off' the residual oil and every one will be happy (except for the local mosquito population!)
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:26 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,889 Posts
Some mower engines that set will have there rings get stuck in the piston and not seat with the cyclinder. I had this happen 3 years ago. Once the engine got good and hot I shut it off, then when I started it up, no more smoke. Then last year I had it happen again and I broke the engine down and the ring was stuck so tight that I broke it getting it off the piston. Not sure what caused this (maybe not changing the oil enough).

Just my 2 cents

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Apr 05, 2007, 08:05 PM
Joined Apr 2004
76 Posts
Well Frank, whats' the vedict??
Old Apr 05, 2007, 09:18 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,915 Posts
Oh yeah, sorry. It was the gas. I drained it and refilled it, no more smoke. Thanks for the advice guys.

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Closed Thread