HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2008, 11:36 AM
Joined Sep 2004
21 Posts
I need to know how far can I fly with RIR4EXA.
Please help!
What range is safe for this transmitter???
Alex Baccilu is offline Find More Posts by Alex Baccilu
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2008, 01:41 PM
Flint, Michigan
Joined Aug 2008
721 Posts
Never Actually Tested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baccilu
I need to know how far can I fly with RIR4EXA.
Please help!
What range is safe for this transmitter???
I have never actually tested the range? I have flown my TB many times and was so far away, I had trouble even seeing the plane! The range was always more than sufficient. My guess is a couple miles??
aviator24 is offline Find More Posts by aviator24
Old Oct 08, 2008, 04:42 AM
Joined Sep 2004
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator24
I have never actually tested the range? I have flown my TB many times and was so far away, I had trouble even seeing the plane! The range was always more than sufficient. My guess is a couple miles??
A couple miles????? 3600 meters? No way! It says in my prospect MINIMUM 200 meters. Two hundred! Only expensive rc stations goes near 1000-2000 meters (~ one mile).
Old Oct 08, 2008, 06:53 AM
Flint, Michigan
Joined Aug 2008
721 Posts
Well I guess it is time...

Quote:
A couple miles????? 3600 meters? No way! It says in my prospect MINIMUM 200 meters. Two hundred! Only expensive rc stations goes near 1000-2000 meters (~ one mile).
I have been wanting to do this, now I have a reason. I will take my GPS and cell phone and see how far the range really is!! I will leave the receiver and servos with my GF and see how far I go before I can no longer control the servos. I have 6 different Tx's. Most are 2.4 G. I will record em all and post my findings here...
Old Oct 08, 2008, 08:51 AM
Joined Sep 2004
21 Posts
Good ideea! Waiting for results. Thanks!
Old Oct 09, 2008, 06:59 AM
Joined Aug 2008
3 Posts
TB-20 motor throttle issue

Hi all:

My TB-20 arrived last night, and after putting it together, I have to say I agree with those on both sides of the fence on the quality. Attention to detail is definitely shoddy, but it's a solid plane, and after all, you get what you pay for. For someone like me, who has experience but in no way is an expert, I think it was a good purchase. The major components are all there, and with some tweaking, I'm sure it'll be top notch.

I'm having an issue that possibly someone will have run into with this plane, or maybe it's a general thing that an expert would recognize right away. All channels seem to be fine except the throttle. The motor is randomly cutting out when I apply throttle. The only thing that seems to be consistent is if I apply full throttle quickly (far more quickly than were I flying it, but this was just for testing), it cuts out immediately. Otherwise, if I apply throttle VERY slowly, I can sometimes get it up almost to 75% before it cuts out. Other times, it'll cut out much sooner. The noise it makes RIGHT as it cuts out reminds me the noise you hear when a prop comes loose and the shaft starts spinning freely (this isn't what is happening in this case, it cuts out with the prop either on or off). This could be a problem sound, or could just be the normal sound the motor makes when power is suddenly cut, I'm not sure. The cut out will happen with and without any/all other channels in use.

Caveat here is that I had a flashing red light, plus a solid green light on the radio. I haven't been able to find any info on what the light combos mean, but flashing red can't be good. However, every other controller I have just goes from all three down to red/yellow, down to red when the batteries are low, so I've never seen a solid green/flashing red combo. Today I will buy some brand new batteries and see what happens, but wanted to throw this out to see if anything jumped out at anybody.

Thanks all, and can't wait to get this puppy in the air!

Brian.
bhawken is offline Find More Posts by bhawken
Old Oct 09, 2008, 09:13 AM
Joined Sep 2004
21 Posts
No problem to motor to my plane but I am so novice!
Problem with colored led, no info find, i search all the Internet!
RICCS thinks this is a toy and maybe their politics is we fly in any condition, crash the plane and buy another. But not from RICCS, no sir!
RICCS, please put here or on your site MORE INFO PLEASE!!!
Old Oct 09, 2008, 05:04 PM
Joined Aug 2008
3 Posts
solved

Well, I figured it out. After looking through some other forums, I happened upon a post complaining about a motor 'chattering' and cutting out. That perfectly describes the noise mine was making. Hobby Lobby's knowledge base had a post about chatter, suggesting the solder joints may be faulty. So, when I started looking closer at the solder joints on the motor, the white wire fell off. Looks like it'd been on there by a couple threads at most. Lovely. Also, the screws that hold the motor mount to the firewall are completely stripped, so I have no way of removing the motor to get at the solder joints. Have to see what Hobby Lobby says tomorrow. Judging by the comments in this group, they're pretty helpful. I'm somewhat more irritated by the RICCS company at this point, now I'm kind of getting the impression that I got a used motor that had been repaired before. Still looking forward to flying the plane, but I'll have to wait. Oh well, I have my slofly foamy to occupy myself with. (-:
bhawken is offline Find More Posts by bhawken
Old Oct 09, 2008, 07:22 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,493 Posts
I bought two TB-20's. One for me and one for a friend. His had the same problem as BHawken's where at about 60-75% throttle the motor would cut out. In his case it was a bad ESC and replacing it solved the problem. Hobby Lobby support is great! It took me 3-4 weeks to get all of my TB-20 problems solved and they stuck with me through it all. Being on the West Coast took longer to get everything resolved as each shipment from them took at least five days. I agree with Bhawken that you get what you pay for but I'm sure glad I got it on sale for $119 rather than the regular price or I'd of really been unhappy. Unfortunately for RICCS I'm unwilling to spend any more money on their kits due to the issues I had with the TB-20. I kind of like some of their EDF Jets but afraid the quaility will be the same as the TB-20. I won't hesitate to buy other Hobby Lobby items from other vendors (because Hobby Lobby's support is so good) but it would take some serious consideration to buy another RICCS product. I was also like Alex Baccilu very disappointed in the poor manual and in the lack of more information on the RICCS web site. It is impossible to find any information that tells me if the motor and speed control can handle three cell lipo's, how to program the ESC, etc. Almost all of my other models (12+) are from Horizon Hobby (Parkzone, Hobbyzone, E-Flite) and I've been very happy with them. Information is available when I need it, the kit quality is much better (but also not perfect), and parts are available if I break something (online and at just about any hobby store). In comparison - there is no comparison between any Parkzone product I have and the quality of the TB-20.

I'm not intending to sound bashing, just honest and my opinion.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Oct 10, 2008, 01:03 PM
Joined Sep 2004
21 Posts
Indeed, Hobby Lobby is a fine place to buy and to get support.
Hope RICCS will learn.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 04:12 PM
Joined Sep 2004
21 Posts
Oh my God, another problem!
This is a Ready to fly plane??? I think not!
At my first fly I can not keep my plane in stright line on the ground!!!
Please HELP!
I think is a problem here: front wheel move to the right and rudder move to the left! It's OK???
My plane go left on the ground even the front wheel is bracket to the right from remote control!

I put a small video in Video Gallery.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...49&postcount=1

EDIT: Another drawing, is what I saw in the plane:
Last edited by Alex Baccilu; Oct 12, 2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: another drawing
Old Oct 12, 2008, 08:56 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,493 Posts
Wow. That's a new one. Obviously they should both move in the same direction. On my buddy's TB-20 the factory didn't bother to connect ANY of the servos to the receiver. Maybe they hooked one of your control arms up wrong. Looking from the front of the TB-20 my rudder control rod exits the fuselage from the left side of the body. I can't tell without taking things apart which side the nose wheel is hooked to. Likewise I'd have to remove the wing to see which side of the servo the wheel control rod is hooked to but as I remember it the wheel and the rudder were both hooked to the same side of the servo control arm (as you show in your drawing). By default that means that the nose wheel arm is hooked up to the wrong side if the wheel is moving the wrong direction. Item #11 on my complaint list is that the canopy isn't removable like the Parkzone T-28 or Corsair. If it was I could easily look inside to tell you how things are hooked up on mine. As it is I have to leave for work now. If you can't get it fixed let me know and I'll open mine up to get you more info.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:36 AM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
The nose wheel going in the wrong direction is one of the big problems with this plane, but its an easy fix.
You will find posts about it in these pages.
I think its just a matter of undoing the nose wheel and loosening the mounts and spinning the nose wheel around the other way.
While your at it glue some depron or balsa either side of the control rod that goes from servo to nose wheel.... its a long rod and flexes too much to turn neatly.
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old Oct 13, 2008, 03:42 AM
Joined Sep 2004
21 Posts
Solved, thanks both of you for answers.
Spinning the nose wheel take me 1/2 day.
This is not a RTF plane.
RICCS, you are still on market?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:37 AM
Flint, Michigan
Joined Aug 2008
721 Posts
Riccs

Quote:
Solved, thanks both of you for answers.
Spinning the nose wheel take me 1/2 day.
This is not a RTF plane.
RICCS, you are still on market?
Yes, they still are around, you can see their new products at http://www.riccs.cn/
I understand your frustration. I bought one of these on the Hobby Lobby Crash sale for $139. I had my share of problems with this bird. Hobby Lobby has discontinued carrying this model, however, they were great and offered me a full refund. When I looked at all I got for that price, sending it back was NOT an option. The radio is nice, never lost a signal. The battery while small, has a lot of power. The plane flies really well once you get the bugs worked out. I am doing a 3 cell upgrade on mine now! I am a speed nut...