HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:56 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,030 Posts
The prop was an APC 13x8E and the spinner was a standard 2-blade plastic spinner. I may try an APC 13x10E to see if I can load the motor/batteries to the 1000 watt level. They are presently running at about 780 watts. Even at that level, there is plenty of power and speed as you can see in the videos.
Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2007, 03:27 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,125 Posts
Looks like it flies great to me. Nice review. I am slowly sliding toward electric everything and getting rid of my glow planes. This makes me think that I am not doing it fast enough.

Did you balance your plane laterally? It looks like the same wing, (left), is low even when the motor is not running. I have several friends who have Seawind's and none exhibit the wing low problem as bad as yours seems to.
mdennis is offline Find More Posts by mdennis
Old Jul 12, 2007, 05:08 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Mike do you think that an 'E' brand 46 power outrunner will fly this ok ???
also it seems that the long leads from the ESC to the battery didnt bother your set up , comments ?? ......... Ian
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Jul 12, 2007, 08:49 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,030 Posts
MDENNIS, the more I fly electric, the more I agree with you. I'm fast getting addicted to instant, reliable, enormous power!
As for the lateral balance, I need to have another go at it. Initially it looked pretty good, but I agree that left wing seems to taxi heavy. I'll post my balance results here soon.
PALEFACE, I've seen some folks use the E-60, but haven't heard of anyone trying the 46. It might be too small for this plane. How do the 46 specs stack up against the 50-55-500kV Rimfire? The power leads from the batteries to the ESC are very fine, multi-stranded #12 wire.
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5156
Hope this helps. Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:27 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
MDENNIS, the more I fly electric, the more I agree with you. I'm fast getting addicted to instant, reliable, enormous power!
As for the lateral balance, I need to have another go at it. Initially it looked pretty good, but I agree that left wing seems to taxi heavy. I'll post my balance results here soon.
PALEFACE, I've seen some folks use the E-60, but haven't heard of anyone trying the 46. It might be too small for this plane. How do the 46 specs stack up against the 50-55-500kV Rimfire? The power leads from the batteries to the ESC are very fine, multi-stranded #12 wire.
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5156
Hope this helps. Mike McD
The 'E' 46 turns a 13x8E at 8,250 rpm at 745w , which I think is comparable the the 'R' motor , what rpm were you getting ??
Old Jul 13, 2007, 09:20 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,125 Posts
I ran some numbers through Motocalc using Great Planes numbers for the size of the plane and adjusting for the weight difference reported by Kingflyer.

Using Kingsfire's setup of the Rimfire 50-55-500 motor with a 13x8 prop and 3200 Mah 6s1p batteries as a baseline. Motocalc calculates it will draw about 42.5 amps, about 852 watts, have a static thrust of 119 ounces and a climb rate of 1433 ft/min.

Adjusting the prop size to keep the amperage and wattage as close as possible to the baseline, I came up with the following results. (See attached PDF for a comparison chart with more numbers.)

The E-Flite 46 would need to turn an 11x6 prop, would run very hot, and not climb as well.

The E-Flite 46 with a 13x8 prop would draw more amps, (about 50), still run pretty hot, and still not get you near the rate of climb. (Of course more amps means shorter flight times as well.)

The E-Flite 60 would need to turn a 15x10 prop, (I doubt there is clearance to do it), but would give similar performance. (Motocalc says not quite as good, but it's close enough.)
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:32 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,030 Posts
PALEFACE, Just checked and the Rimfire is turning the 13x8E at 9000 RPM. The E-46 may fly the plane, but not as well as the E-60 or the Rimfire. On the E-60 I think they are using a 13.5x13.5 3-blade prop. They may even have to trim it slightly, or adjust the motor mount up slightly or out more foreward, because with the 13" prop there is not a lot of clearance to the fuselage.
MDENNIS, Can you run the numbers on the E-60 with the 13.5x13.5 3-blade prop to see if it would work?
Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2007, 02:11 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,125 Posts
Here are the numbers on the E-Flite 60 tuning a 13.5x13.5 - 3 blade prop running on the same 6s1p 3200 20C LiPo batteries.

Looks like it would fly fine and be close to the Rimfire motor.
Mark
Old Jul 13, 2007, 03:39 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Thanks guys , looks like I get a Rimfire , the diff is the power losses/efficiency of the motor , looks like it is wound for 4s not 6s....
Old Jul 13, 2007, 09:47 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Maxford USA has a Neptune flying boat, like the Seawind, which is written up in the August issue of Fly RC, along with the PBY. I first bought the PBY and determined in was a toy, built it, flew it, and guess what? It was a toy, several hundred wasted. I then got the Neptune which represents the quality that we have learned to appreciate.

The Neptune was a one week build, a real quality ARF, has a wood covered fuse, and is much lighter and less expensive than the Seawind. Nothing wrong with the Seawind and I think it is awesome, but I already lost a few hundred on the PBY, so I was after a bargain.

If you don't want to afford the Seawind, you might take a look at the Neptune. This is my tip of the week, stay tuned for more. LOL

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jul 14, 2007, 02:23 AM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Al , I have a Neptune too , which will definitely have the E flight 46 power in it , it is too strong/heavy , so I am lightening it with my Dremel , mainly the fuse.. .
Old Jul 14, 2007, 07:24 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,030 Posts
While the Neptune is a nice plane, it sure doesn't have the SEXY looks or Scale PIZZAZZ of the Seawind. In the air, the Neptune looks like just another Sea Dancer, Sea Master, Sea Monster, Mariner, etc. The Seawind has such a unique look, that you can't mistake it for any other plane. In the air, or on the ground, the Seawind always draws a crowd of admiring onlookers. It's sorta like the P51 of waterplanes.
Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2007, 09:25 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Mike, I couldn't agree with you more, the Seawind is a real beauty. However, it may be a big step for the first time water plane pilot. Yes, the Seawind is the P-51 of water planes, it is fast, smooth, and sleek. I can't wait to step up to something that nice.

For me, it's my first time, so I feel better with a plane made of wood, wood floats and the Neptune appears to be able to fly really slow. LOL

More videos....

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:06 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,030 Posts
SCALEFAN, You are 100% correct! The Seawind is NOT for the 1st time Water Flyer! A high wing trainer type on floats or the Neptune look like much better choices as water trainers. I guess I should have been clearer in my review when I classified the Seawind as not for a Beginner. While it certainly is not for a true beginner in the sport of RC, it is also not a good choice for a 1st waterplane.

However, know that at some point you are gonna want a Seawind. Just like most RC pilots lust after P51s, most waterplane pilots lust after a Seawind. When the time comes for your Seawind, you will be even happier if you use E-Power.

Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Jul 14, 2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 05:39 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
I think the Neptune is a take off of the older Ken Willard Sea Master design and is considered one of the best handling on the water and flying water planes there is , so it would be an ideal water plane intro , if you read the Neptune posts , it does go well
Because over the years I have learnt that 'lighter planes fly much better' Im ADDING lightness to mine
And after engine stalls, "out there" , electric is the way to go
The only probs I see with the Seawind are , step position , tip floats , weight /distribution , CoG , once these are addressed ...........