Old Oct 27, 2007, 06:16 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoggins
Lucien or feathermerchant,

Is there any update on the low power behavior of the 45amp scorpion esc used with a spektrum dx-7?

Also, what motor would you recommend for the 3D hobby shop 47' Extra 300 SHP? For this plane I would like to use my existing 3s 2100 and 2200 lipos. I want good to extreme 3d performance.

Here is the plane:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646632

No big rush on answering these questions Lucien, particularly if you are still dealing with the the fires. Glad to hear that you and yours apparently made it through in relatively good shape.

lcoggins
I have several of the 3DHS planes and also sell them. The 3014-22 flies the 47" Katana great so it should also do well in the SHP. The 3020 series may probably too long to mount properly. I get about 330W on 3S 2100 and an APCE 13/6.5

As for the ESC problem, I fly Castles and Hackers and AirBoss on the DX7 with no problems. I have a Hacker on it now. I have sent the ESC back to Lucien to test. The problem I have experienced never happened on takeoff, but after a throttle off when I throttle up. Sometimes I get only about 1/2 power and sometimes it is normal. Ben of 3DHS also flew it and had the same experience. I hope Lucien finds some defect in the controller I had.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:32 PM
Shepherdstown, WV
Joined Jan 2007
195 Posts
Well I had my throttle set to 115% on high on my dx-7 radio so I set both the high and the low on 100% and recalibrated the esc. I had no problems with the esc today. Hopefully that will continue.

Thanks Lucien and feathermerchant for the info on the 3dhs extra. Given Feathermerchants info on the size requirements for the extra, I guess i will go with the 3014-22. That is equivalent to the motor that 3dhs recommends based on luciens comparison chart.

please let me know if any additional info pops up about the scorpion esc.

thanks,

lcoggins
lcoggins is offline Find More Posts by lcoggins
Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:20 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
I just received my first Scorpion motor yesterday. Shipping was a little delayed because of the fires but no worries, the plane I ordered it for isn't even close to being finished!

The 3014-16T was so beautifully packaged I felt like I was opening a box for a fancy watch or piece or jewelry!!! A lot different than the $9.00 cheapies in plasctic bags I've been getting from UH. Even puts E-flite to shame!

The price / warranty / performance / construction pushed me to try this brand. The fact the the motor wires are extended through the back of the motor and are not cut / spliced was a big seller. I've a had a rash of failures this way recently and in some cases the motor has to be thrown away . I've also had a few cheapo motors just stop working all together... perhaps the coating coming off the wires somewhere internally.

I just may throw the Scorpion on one of my other planes just to see how it does!

Chad
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:41 AM
San Antonio TX
Joined Aug 2006
363 Posts
I installed my new 45A Scorpion ESC last night and the programming card worked great. After some WOT ground testing, the ESC wasn't even warm.

With other ESCs (Hacker and Hyperion) I could connect the battery and then turn on my DX6 TX and the system would arm. With the Scorpion, I had to turn the TX on first before connecting the battery so the ESC would arm. Is there any particular reason why?

Also, I wish you would consider shipping the ESCs with the motor connectors already soldered/installed since they are pre-installed on your motors. I didn't realize they did not come with them so it took a trip to the LHS to buy the connectors at $5.00 per pack. Of course, they come two to a pack so you have to buy two packs for an extra cost of $10.00. I'd rather pay a couple of bucks extra and not have to go through all of the hassel of buying and soldering the connectors on. Just a thought.

I haven't had a chance to fly with it yet, but the quality seems to be on par with your motors which are superb.

Thanks for a great product and customer support.
TXTATE is offline Find More Posts by TXTATE
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:48 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTATE
With other ESCs (Hacker and Hyperion) I could connect the battery and then turn on my DX6 TX and the system would arm. With the Scorpion, I had to turn the TX on first before connecting the battery so the ESC would arm. Is there any particular reason why?

You should NEVER plug in a pack without turning on the Tx first! Without a signal your motor could fire up, and your servos chatter until they strip.

Same when shutting down - ALWAYS unplug the pack before turning off the Tx.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:00 PM
Team Hammer
Downey,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
66 Posts
TX always on First !!!

Dr. Kiwi Boy you got that one RIGHT always TX on FIRST it also saves fingers , hands , arms, other planes and all kinds of stuff Steve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi
You should NEVER plug in a pack without turning on the Tx first! Without a signal your motor could fire up, and your servos chatter until they strip.

Team Hammer is offline Find More Posts by Team Hammer
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:04 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi

Very true when using 27 , 72 ,75 and other such bands but not likely with 2.4.

Many are using the Trans. as a motor kill switch. No signal from the Trans. and the receiver does nothing so ESC does nothing also.

I programed a Thro. Loc. on the Gear Sw. of my DX7 however.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:51 PM
San Antonio TX
Joined Aug 2006
363 Posts
That's probably good advice even with a 2.4 GHZ. With the DX6, until the TX and RX "bind" with each other, the esc is dead. The only reason I pluged in the battery first was to keep from accidently moving the throttle until I was completely ready to launch. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,759 Posts
TXTATE,

The Scorpion ESC's have a built-in safety feature during boot-up. If they do not sense a proper idle position signal from the receiver during start-up, they will not arm. This prevents run-away airplanes or helicopters in the pits, and is a very good feature. If you get into this mode, you need to unplug the battery, turn on the transmitter, and then plug the motor battery back in to reset the ESC.

Due to the wide number of different style bullet connectors available, Scorpion decided to leave the connectors off of their ESC's, since in about half the installations, people would have to take them off and change them anyways.

What Scorpion does do is include a free set of Female Bullet connectors, that match the ones on the motor, with the motor. That way, when you buy a Scorpion motor and ESC, you get the bullet connectors that you need, and are designed to be a perfect fit with the motor connectors.

If you ever need any more, we sell them on our website in sets of 3 male and 3 female for $2.50 a set.

Lucien
Innov8tive is offline Find More Posts by Innov8tive
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 31, 2007, 01:54 PM
San Antonio TX
Joined Aug 2006
363 Posts
Thanks Lucien - I'll have to check the motor box again. I didn't remember seeing them but I bought the motor about a month before the ESC. They could have very well been in it and I didn't notice it. FYI - just got in four flights at lunch with my new Fliton mini 260, Scorpion 3308-32 and 45A ESC. It's a very good combo. Thanks for your response, great customer service, and great products.
Last edited by TXTATE; Oct 31, 2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 09:01 PM
Zagreb, Croatia
Joined Sep 2002
378 Posts
Hello Lucien,

I'm interested when we can expect 40mm series motors in kit form? I'm very satisfied with my 2215 which is better then similar AXI or Hacker, so I belive 40 series is another winner in this power level class.

Regards,
Hrvoje
hrvojekl is offline Find More Posts by hrvojekl
Old Nov 01, 2007, 01:27 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,759 Posts
hrvojekl,

All of the 40mm motor parts are now in, and the 40mm motors are in full production now, so Kits should be available very soon. I will check with Scorpion and get a date for you.

Lucien
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 01, 2007, 11:25 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,862 Posts
Any news on European dealerships Lucien or are you still doing Europe too?
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Nov 02, 2007, 05:54 PM
United States, NJ, Paramus
Joined Jun 2004
1,811 Posts
3020/12

Hi All Question can I run my 3020/12 with an APC e 10x5 with out the prop washer..I using a Dubro spinner and don't have enough threads on the shaft to use the prop washer..Awhile back I tested the 3020/12 just to get some numbers, and I think I did run IT with the spinner, but I'm not sure..

Thanks Dan
DBono99 is offline Find More Posts by DBono99
Old Nov 02, 2007, 09:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,759 Posts
DBono99,

I just received a shipment of the new extended length 5mm prop shaft adapters from Scorpion. These new prop adapters have 1/4" more threads on them compared to the original prop adapter, so they are perfect for use with a spinner. I will be adding them to the website later this weekend, so you can pick up some if you would like.

Lucien
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Innov8tive; Nov 03, 2007 at 06:40 AM.