SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:20 AM
Oxford, CT
Joined Sep 2001
136 Posts
My primary excuse is that I'm trying to keep the pack configurations to a minimum. To do that I figure it's best to have some planes over-powered but none of them underpowered
alaric is offline Find More Posts by alaric
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2007, 02:58 PM
From the bowels of MI
Joined Apr 2004
751 Posts
I noticed on your website that some motors are said to be good for ducted fan applications... do you see the necessary adapters to allow your motors to be mounted in an EDF? I'm looking at smaller EDFs in the 55-70mm diameter range.

Thanks,
Wayno
Wayno-san is offline Find More Posts by Wayno-san
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:51 AM
Chambery. France
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
Hello Lucien,

At first, sorry for my poor English !! I buy a Scorpion S3032-10 for my new Alpina 4001 MPX. I know the best is to put an Inrunner whit a gearbox, but i'd like testing an "economical" motor and the 3032-10 with it 37 mm diameter seams perfect. With Scorpion Calc, I found approximately the type of blade using with a 4S (12.5x7.5, 13x7, 13x8, 14.6) but I like to have your advice for the best result. My wish is to have a very lightweight Alpina to thermaling in the French Alpes.

Bests regards.

Emmanuel
tetram is offline Find More Posts by tetram
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:08 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
3,004 Posts
Alpina in the Alps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetram
Hello Lucien,

At first, sorry for my poor English !! I buy a Scorpion S3032-10 for my new Alpina 4001 MPX. I know the best is to put an Inrunner whit a gearbox, but i'd like testing an "economical" motor and the 3032-10 with it 37 mm diameter seams perfect. With Scorpion Calc, I found approximately the type of blade using with a 4S (12.5x7.5, 13x7, 13x8, 14.6) but I like to have your advice for the best result. My wish is to have a very lightweight Alpina to thermaling in the French Alpes.

Bests regards.

Emmanuel
Hello Emmanuel
Here is Louis. Bonjour.
For the extra weight (S3032 on board) it remains the weight of the battery pack and the prop (hub, spinner blades).
So you have to consider the amps, the pack capacity (mAh) and the desired running time (could be several bursts).
The bigger the diameter, the better is the static thrust.
Cheers
Louis
Fourdan is online now Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:32 PM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
Hi Emmanuel,

do you have a watt meter, try a few different props and see which ones you like ... if you can get performance data...even just watts in, please post results

keep an eye on pack and motor teperatures ... you should get a feel for what works best and gives you the performance that you like
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Oct 17, 2007, 01:43 PM
Chambery. France
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
Hi,

Thank you Louis for your advice. However, I'm going to try 2 or 3 blades in a first time. With your tool Scorpion Calc, I try a lot of possibilities, but of course, it doesn't replace tests on the field. I'm quite tempted by a 14x6, even if it charge a little more the motor, I'm quite afraid with the results of a 14x7 in temp° and current value. In all case, i'll communicate the results.

Its more easy in French, isn'it ??

Emmanuel
tetram is offline Find More Posts by tetram
Old Oct 17, 2007, 07:25 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,759 Posts
Wayno-san,

I just got back to my hotel room from set-up at the Chicago i-Hobby Show. I picked up a sample of a 77mm (3.0") fan for use with our HK-2221 series motors. It is supposed to be good for at least 1000 grams of thrust, so it will test it when I get home. I am going to get one of their 64mm (2.5") fans to try with the HK-2216 or HK-2213 size motors. I will post some info after I test them when I return home.

Stay tuned!

Lucien
Innov8tive is offline Find More Posts by Innov8tive
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2007, 07:39 PM
From the bowels of MI
Joined Apr 2004
751 Posts
Lucien,
Fantastic! (Ha ha ha), I look forward to your results and I'm interested in seeing how the motors are going to be mounted in the fans.

-Wayno
Wayno-san is offline Find More Posts by Wayno-san
Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:37 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Lucien

Do you see any problem with running a 13X4E on 4S with the 3020-14?

Thanks

Joe

Great motor by the way!
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:01 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,775 Posts
How would a 3020-14 compare to a AXI 2820/12?
bobf is online now Find More Posts by bobf
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:06 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
Read back a few posts. He has a link to just what you are asking.
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Oct 20, 2007, 03:35 AM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Lucien,

Hi! My name's Matt and I know that you must be really busy with the Chicago show, but I have a question about a couple of the motors that you are selling. I have almost finished a little 20.5" version of the F-16 that I built a larger one of this summer which is posted below. If it flies well, I want to get a motor for it that spins a small prop with high pitch-speed and I am looking at your line of HK outrunners.
I'm mainly interested in the HK-2208-28 and the HK-2208-34. The -28 is something like 3175kv or something and the -34 is 2600kv or so.

What I want to find out is if you have any solid test data for these motors, or at least an approximation of how they might perform with the following props.
I'm guessing that the HK-2208-28 might be the best motor for this situation because I'd like to run a 4.1X4.1 prop if I can and the high-kv rating seems like it would be ideal for this set-up. On 3S 1300's, how do you think that the HK-2208-28 would do with a 4.1X4.1 prop? The plane's AUW will hopefully be between 13-14 oz., so if it has close to 1:1 thrust that's ok, I'm really just looking for speed with this set-up.

By the way, in both cases I'm trying to stay at or below 17 amps max draw when the lipos are fully charged so that the batteries don't get over-stressed.

Now, for a motor with a little more thrust and less speed, how would the 2208-34HK motor do with a 6X4 or 6X5.5 prop? Would it be OK? Do you have an approximation of the thrust and.or pitch speed with the 6X4 and/or 6X5.5 on the HK2208-34?

Thanks very much. If the smaller one flies well, I think I'd like to try one of the HK series of motors if you think it would work OK.

PS I'm on a Mac and couldn't get your calc program to run for an estimate which is why I need your advice. Thanks a lot. Take care.
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Last edited by birdlives1955; Oct 20, 2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 06:12 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
Here is the comparison chart:
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...ison%20Web.htm
Ken Myers is online now Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:47 PM
Shepherdstown, WV
Joined Jan 2007
195 Posts
Scorpion in a katana md

I am very interested in setting up a katana md from precision aerobatics. This looks like a really well made and great flying airplane. Precision aerobatics suggests that they have done all kinds of testing to get find just the right power system for the plane and it is obvious from the videos that they have done a nice job.

I have several scorpion speed controlers and have a 3008 in my eflight mini ultra stick. In short, I am very pleased with scorpion products. However, If I do decide to get the katana md, I am considering buying it with the PA power system.

My question is: are any of you running a scorpion on the katana md and if so which one? The plane's motor mount has the appropriate thrust angles already built in. Does anyone know if there are any mounting issues with a scorpion in the katana md.

An un related question. I have a scorpion 45amp speed controller. Sometimes when I give full throttle input I do not get it at the motor. I have to pull the stick pack to zero throttle and then advance it to full again in order to get full throttle at the motor. I have a dx-7 radio and have set the endpoints based on instructions found on this thread. Any ideas?

lcoggins
lcoggins is offline Find More Posts by lcoggins
Old Oct 22, 2007, 01:34 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoggins
An un related question. I have a scorpion 45amp speed controller. Sometimes when I give full throttle input I do not get it at the motor. I have to pull the stick pack to zero throttle and then advance it to full again in order to get full throttle at the motor. I have a dx-7 radio and have set the endpoints based on instructions found on this thread. Any ideas?

lcoggins
Are you sure your pack is up to it - this sounds as if you are hitting LVC.... bringing the throttle back to zero resets it, and then you can get another burst of WOT.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi