Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:16 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,994 Posts
Hi all
Scorpion Calc v3.44 is ready to test
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736782

The main sheet is re-arranged to be "more rectangular"
I hope that it is more convenient with a notebook PC (please feedback)
some frames (Gearbox or Air condition have changed their locations)

Regards
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:49 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,815 Posts
Hi Terry: I was wondering about the prop sizing right from the start. I did not find a combo to spin a 14x14.
Here's what I did find, Scorpion 4025-16, running on 12S, motor weighs 12 1/2 ozs. A 12/12 Apc E shows 145.8 mph at 77amps draw, turning 12832 rpm and 87.5% efficient for 15lbs thrust.
Same motor with a 12x14 (apc did make them)shows 168.9 mph on 12S @87% efficiency,12739rpm on 81 amps nd 13.8 lbs thrust. Again on 12S.
This motor is rated 80 amps continuous, so number here are within safe limits.
Your buddies combo intrigues me, do you know what amps he is drawing for that motor? Must be sky high on 6S,
All these numbers came from Scorpion Calculator, available as a free download at Innov8tive Designs,com. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:18 PM
Massachussets
Joined Nov 2005
248 Posts
Lucien

For some time now the Scorpion website has listed the S2503-1610KV Motor as available within 30 days. Any updates on delivery?

Thanks
wingster is online now Find More Posts by wingster
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:26 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,709 Posts
I finally flew the motor first posted at post 7541 , im sending it back , doesnt seem to perform very good as compaired to the other 3026 i already have .....now where did i put that Nitro Planes Monster Power 32 i had in the plane that worked fine .........
Dennis Everett is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Dec 24, 2010, 07:57 AM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,414 Posts
I've been flying my Sig Kougar with a 3026-10 on 5S pack and 10X7 prop. It flies quite well and fast but would like to speed it up some more.
The 3026-1190 would seem to be the answer but when I try it on the S Calc the results are way past the stated recommendation in the catalog which indicates using a 12X6 prop with a 5S pack. Now what?
Should I consider using one of the HK series instead?
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
I have a question as how to interpret ScorpionCalc

Looking @ a HK4035-560 it reads on the right hand column under Performance WOT: Current 134A In Power 3995W Out power 3595W

This differs greatly from the middle column titled short time peak that reads :

Current 69A In Power 2042W Out power 1838W

So how do I interpret these numbers? Will the in-flight amp draw be at WOT 69 or 134?

Thanks!
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:30 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Hey Jolly

I also fly a Kougar <wet> and I'm pretty sure you could get a 6S pack in there no? Least as I recall the 10oz tank I have is most likely fatter then say that 6S 4000's I own.

Anyways the Kougar I fly Spins <on the ground> a 10x7 @ 14,500 RPM. No doubt it gains a tad more as it's on the pipe in flight. Even with it's super fat wing she's good for 100 MPH even.

Just something to consider when putting yours together, IMO it's all about volts baby if you want to go fast.

Good Luck

Tommy D
Old Dec 24, 2010, 03:28 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post

Looking @ a HK4035-560 it reads on the right hand column under Performance WOT: Current 134A In Power 3995W Out power 3595W

So how do I interpret these numbers? Will the in-flight amp draw be at WOT 69 or 134?

Thanks!
Hi
Middle frame in blue is a point at Peakeff
Performances WOT in red (right side) corresponds to the propeller selected
in the frame Propeller.
So it is not the same load, not the same propeller, generally.
If you click on the button "Peakeff" you get the propeller close to the Peakeff
point.
For the HK4035-560 (weight 430g) a current 134A, power 3995W (so 29.8V) is far too much overpropping

Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Dec 24, 2010, 03:30 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,741 Posts
Hey Guys! Merry Christmas to you all!

First of all I want to wish everyone out there a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Now on to answering your questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredVTT View Post
I've been away...did the Inrunners ever come to America..?

Bill

Bill,

The Inrunner motor line has been put on hold until Scorpion can get caught up with the production demands for he Outrunner motors. THey have recently switched their production to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to get as many parts made as possible so they can get cusght up with the demand for the products. Once they get the Outrunner line caught up, they will start producing the Inrunner motors. I do not have a time line for that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Everett View Post
I received my scorp 3026-710 in the mail today

I had a problem with a earlier motor having the magnets chipped out of the box so i took this one apart , it also has small chips in the magnets , WTH ! its hard to get a clear picture , maybe you can tell if this is gonna be a problem ?

The last one i flew before looking inside , power was way down .......

black dots are where chips are ..

Dennis,

I am not sure what happened to your motor, but it should not look like that. If you send it back directly to us, we will replace it for you under the factory warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given View Post
I race warbirds. Usually a 40 size mustang. Looking to turn a 14x14N APC prop at 10,500 rpm or so. Does Scorpion make a motor capable of this?

Thanks, Terry
Terry,

It takes a BUNCH of power to turn a 14x14 prop at 10,500 RPM. Basically twice the power it takes to turn a 14x7 prop at the same RPM. The Scorpion S-4025-10 motor will turn a 14x7 prop at 10,200 RPM on 6 cells, and it takes 55 amps of current or 1230 watts to do it. Based on that, It would take around 2500-2600 watts of power to spin the 14x14 prop at the same RPM.

The Scorpion 5525-225 motor would come close to doing this on 12 Li-Po cells. You would get about about 9500 to 9600 RPM and a pitch speed of 125 MPH. 56 amps of current and 2580 watts of power.

The 5030-220 motor is a bit more efficient and would get you up to about 9700 to 9800 RPM on the same prop with the same current and power numbers.

To get the extra RPM you are looking for, you would need a motor with a Kv of about 250 for operation on 12 cells. You can run a 6-cell set-up, but you need a motor with a Kv around 500 and you will have to pull about 110 amps to do it. Not a real efficient way of operating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingster View Post
Lucien

For some time now the Scorpion website has listed the S2503-1610KV Motor as available within 30 days. Any updates on delivery?

Thanks

We did get a couple of them in this week, but they went out to customers that had them on back-order. Scorpion has gotten a lot of the airplane parts built, and we have been receiving shipment every week for the past month. We will be getting a lot more after the first of the year, so we should be back in stock shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
I've been flying my Sig Kougar with a 3026-10 on 5S pack and 10X7 prop. It flies quite well and fast but would like to speed it up some more.
The 3026-1190 would seem to be the answer but when I try it on the S Calc the results are way past the stated recommendation in the catalog which indicates using a 12X6 prop with a 5S pack. Now what?
Should I consider using one of the HK series instead?
Once you max out the SII-3026 series of motors, the next step up is the S-4020 series. You can get about 50% more power from one of these motors, and really make your plane tear through the sky.

The S-4020-8 does very well on 5 cells with 10 and 11 inch props. Props such as the 11x8.5 and 10x10 will really do well on the Scorpion S-4020-8 motor. Here are some numbers for those two combinations at 18.5 volts (5 Li-Po cells under load at 3.7 volts per cell)

APC 10x10E

Amps - 77
Watts - 1425
RPM - 12,650
Thrust - 124 ounces
Pitch Speed - 120 MPH

APC 11x8.5E

Amps - 73
Watts - 1350
RPM - 12,750
Thrust - 133 ounces
Pitch Speed - 103 MPH

How do those numbers look to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post

Thanks!

The number in the middle of the screen shows you the current level when the motor is running at peak efficiency. It also shows you the Efficiency at that point and the corresponding input and output power. It has nothing to do with what the motor will pull with a given prop, it simply shows the point on the graph where the maximum efficiency occurs. These numbers will change, depending on the voltage applied to the motor.

The numbers that you will actually get with a given prop are shown in the Performance WOT (Wide Open Throttle) section of the display. THese numbers will change for every different prop you select.

Hopefully that explains it for you.

That looks like everything for now.

Have a great Christmas tomorrow with your families!

Till next time.

Lucien
Innov8tive is offline Find More Posts by Innov8tive
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 24, 2010, 05:53 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,414 Posts
Lucien, Thanks for the reply on my Kougar. Looks good to me and the current draw isn't too much either. I may have to use some Hyperion G3 series in the 5000mAh range to get some useful flight time but on the other hand I could probably only take flying at those speeds just so long before the pucker factor sets in. LOL
Cheers and Merry Christmas to all!
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:28 AM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,709 Posts
I sent " Chippy " the chipped magnet scoripion back to the dealer i bought it from today , 2nd one in a row i got from them chipped , and there wont be a third .
I thought he would/should send me a motor out asap ... NOT , he's waiting till my motor gets to him THEN he's sending one out , i told him " keep it , just refund my money "
If you have , or get a scorp , pull it apart and see what shape your magnets are in , ive had them with chipped magnets , un-even spaced magnets or both , seems someone in QA dropped the ball ( if they do have QA )..........
Dennis Everett is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:34 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Everett View Post
seems someone in QA dropped the ball ( if they do have QA )..........
Or more like dropped the motor!

I couldn't resist!

Merry Christmas!

Tommy D
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:07 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,189 Posts
Thanks Lucien for the Inrunner update.., also thanks for simply "being there" with constant updates and problem solving for us modellers. How many other representatives of manufacturers are as available as you..? Not many.!

Merry Christmas Dennis ....not sure what grade of stuff you got into on Christmas Eve, but it didn't come across as high grade..! Hope Santa's visit cured that..!

Hope everyone has a 2011 full of new Scorpion trinkets..!

..now where's that eggnog..!

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Dec 25, 2010, 04:36 PM
Pilot in command
Oly Wa.
Joined Dec 2009
16 Posts
Merry Christmas every one. Wow got the parts needed to get thy heli back up and running, so i thought.
Now the Issue is the Scorpion ESC commander is getting hot, so much so one can get burned. It's never done that before, warm after a flight but nothing this hot, so my first question is why? Nothing like a broken wire is visible. this also may be the reason during one of the first times it was plugged in nothing worked, yet it chimed in. also the tail rotor servo is getting very warm, this tail thing was the reason it wasn't flying pretty sure a new gyro was in order, and Santa was kind enough to make this happen , that and new Lipos too. Every thing was fine up to this last harder than normal landing which was a result of a tail rotor issue. Now wondering first off thoughts on this could be? really very disappointed as I was sure nothing happen to the ESC from a visual inspection from the last Opps. all thing lead to the tail rotor gyro fix. any thoughts in looking whats what would be great thanks, hohoho
RVFR is offline Find More Posts by RVFR
Old Dec 26, 2010, 09:56 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1 Posts
sebart sukhoi 140e

Hi
i would like to know scorpion motor you suggest for that plane

http://www.rcmodelshop.gr/index.php?...a14245d46fe776

i will use 6cell lipo
sportser is offline Find More Posts by sportser