SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:21 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,732 Posts
Joe,

Thanks for the support! THere is not much for us to do here right now but sit and wait, so I would rather be chating here with you guys to take my mind off things!

BlazerB52,

I did notice the issue with the Scorpion Calc glitch. It is a problem, and I will let Louis know about it so it can be fixed.

Thanks!

Lucien

Oh, by the way, things are still OK here. The fire storms around us have settled down a bit, and it looks like they will be diminishing as long as the wind does not kick up again. I will keep you all posted.
Innov8tive is offline Find More Posts by Innov8tive
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:26 PM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,269 Posts
Good to here everyone is safe and I will pray for others effected. My wife is at Seal beach on a business trip with Boeing. Wish they could have waited till all this tragedy is over.

Blazer
BlazerB52 is online now Find More Posts by BlazerB52
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:59 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Lucien,

I really hope that the wildfire situation is clearing up for your family and that everyone there is safe. That sounds really scary and I will hope and pray that the fires will be put out very soon. I hope that nobody you know lost too much stuff in the fires.

I'm sure that you must be very busy with real-life stuff right about now, but if you happen to see this and have a minute, I'm just wondering what the foloowing set-ups would produce data-wise. I'm looking for pitch speed, amps, and thrust readings for the following 2 HK series motors becuase I think I would like to try one for my little F-16. I just need to know the readings for both motors so I can know which one will fit the application better. If you don't have time right now, that's totally cool and I completely understand, but if you even have an appxorimation of the following set-ups that would be great. I don't have a PC so I can't run the calculator program for the scorpion motors (I'm on a Mac).

All right, the set-ups I need to know about are for the HK series of motors and they are the HK-2208-28 and the HK-2208-34. I'll just list the props and motors I'm interested in with those two motors, there's just a few with each one.

HK2208-28: 4.1X4.1, 4.5X4.1, 5X5 (I think the 5X5 would be too much for this motor but if it happens to work within the amps specs I'd be interested to know)

HK2208-34: 6X4, 6X5.5, 5X5

Thanks a bunch Lucien, take care.
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Oct 25, 2007, 12:31 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,732 Posts
birdlives1955,

Thank you for your thoughtfullness and concern. Everyone here is fine, and the fires have died down in our area. We had a very close call with a house that belongs to our best friends daughter and her family. The houses on either side of hers, and the one directly across the street burned to the ground. The only damage to her house was a partially burned garage door along with a car and a few items in the garage. The house miraculously survived with only minor smoke damage and a little singed paint. It could have been a LOT worse!

Getting back to your questions, the HK-2208-28 and 2208-34 are very good for a plane this size. We have a customer of ours using the 2208-34 on a VecJet from Dimension RC that works very well with a 3-cell pack.

Here are the numbers that you requested, based on the latest version of Scorpion Calc.

HK-2208-28 with APC 4.1 x 4.1 prop @ 10.5 volts

Amps - 14.6
Watts - 154
RPM - 24,906
Thrust - 13.1 ounces
Pitch Speed - 96.7 MPH

HK-2208-28 with APC 4.5 x 4.1 prop @ 10.5 volts

Amps - 15.6
Watts - 164
RPM - 24,381
Thrust - 14.4 ounces
Pitch Speed - 94.7 MPH

The 5x5 prop would draw 20.4 amps, which is beyond the max recommended current of 18 amps.

HK-2208-34 with APC 5 x 5 prop @ 10.5 volts

Amps - 13.2
Watts - 138
RPM - 18,743
Thrust - 12.1 ounces
Pitch Speed - 88.7 MPH

HK-2208-34 with APC 6 x 4 prop @ 10.5 volts

Amps - 16.0
Watts - 168
RPM - 16,548
Thrust - 19.4 ounces
Pitch Speed - 62.7 MPH

This combination is actually an amp over the recommended max of 15 amps for the HK-2208-34 motor, but as long as you limit the full throttle operation, you should be OK. Anything larger would be too much.

Hopefully that helps!

Lucien
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2007, 01:24 AM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Lucien,

Thanks so much for the help. I'm really glad to hear that your friend's daughter's house made it through the fire safely. That sounds like a pretty close call.

That's really nice information to hae, thanks very much for the help. I appreciate your time. The -28 looks like a nice speed motor, but the -34 looks like it would be a thrust monster for the airframe that it might go in. I'll have to try flying it with the motor I have in it now and try to decide whether it could use more speed or just more power. Thanks again.
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:31 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,951 Posts
Lucien

Thanks for the relatively good news about fires in your county.
We are glad to hear you.

Regarding Scorpion Calculator and the Mac ? I am completely out of knowledge about this world. (I am 100% PC XP)
Is there somebody to tell here, how to run an exe file on a Mac ? May be a windows soft simulator ?
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:51 AM
Oxford, CT
Joined Sep 2001
136 Posts
Fourdan,

The most common method of running Windows software on a Mac (intel based) is called Parallels. It basically runs Windows as a process and you then get to run your Windows software from it. This of course requires the Parallels license, Windows license and whatever software you want, so it can be costly.

If it's not an intel based Mac, then Virtual PC would be required since it's able to do CPU emulation, not just virtualization.

If you need more info feel free to PM me.
alaric is offline Find More Posts by alaric
Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:18 AM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,418 Posts
You can skip the Parallels license with Apple's Boot Camp. This lets you restart your machine as a native Windows PC, maintaining all the possible speed. Naturally you will still need a Windows license.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:36 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,951 Posts
Hi
Thanks for the replies.
Scorpion Calc (.exe) needs also some free VB6 dll
My question was not for me (I am PC, XP), but to inform Mac owners desiring working with my freeware.
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Oct 25, 2007, 06:04 PM
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
552 Posts
Hi Lucien,

I thought I had seen a posting by you stating which motors are best for a 4S motor on a T-Rex 450, for the life of me, I can't find it again.

I am building a HOSS X4E (belt driven T-Rex 450) and can't go as low a pinion as the geared versions. Has anyone tried a HK2212-12 on 4S? (2500 KV seems like the right KV for the HOSS.)

Ron
rdespins is offline Find More Posts by rdespins
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:01 PM
I do it cause it's FUN!
Oak Ridge
Joined Jun 2007
198 Posts
Just read the excellent review of the SebArt Katana 30E on RCU and noticed a striking similarity (they're identical except for the color) between the Scorpion 3020-14 and the FORTE 3020-14, same with the 55 Amp ESC.

I thought that the Scorpion line was exclusively distributed by Innov8tive . Can any Company have the Scorpion line re-badged and then market them as their own? Just curious, I don't want to ruffle any feathers..

Mike
Smiky is offline Find More Posts by Smiky
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:07 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,732 Posts
rdespins,

The Scorpion HK-2221-12 motor works very well on 4S Li-Po packs. With the lower Kv, you can use the same size pinion that you would with an HK-2221-8 motor with 3S Li-Po pack. You end up with the same power, but you get 33% longer run times due to the lower current draw.

Smiky,

I looked all over RCU, and cannot find the motor you are speaking of. Can you please provide a link.

Thanks!

Lucien
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:03 PM
I do it cause it's FUN!
Oak Ridge
Joined Jun 2007
198 Posts
Lucien,

Here's the link http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=935
Smiky is offline Find More Posts by Smiky
Old Oct 26, 2007, 08:13 AM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
Wow, that's sick...

They even ripped off the descriptive text from Luciens's web site word for word, replacing Scorpion for their name. That's LOW!
the ing ers.
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Oct 26, 2007, 08:36 AM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,188 Posts
Ok...appears we have two additional names..
..here is quotes from above article..
"Forte55 Amp Speed Control
Forte Commander Series Brushless Speed Controllers represent one of the best values in the speed controller market today. Everything about the Scorpion Speed Control shows the company's commitment to quality

Fedon Commander Series Speed Controllers are also backed by a 2 year manufacturers warranty against defects in materials and workmanship, so you can buy with confidence. "

..Was the reviewer confused..? because he has the reader confused..!

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT