HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2007, 04:26 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
77 Posts
Newbe looking for some help. I Just orderd a 2215-18 Motor for my Airfoilz EDGE 540. I will be useing a 35 PHX ESC what settings do you recomend. I have the link for it.

Thanks
Jeremy
Ejbbal21 is offline Find More Posts by Ejbbal21
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2007, 04:39 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Looks like a nice interface, Lucien. Is the program going to run under Windows Vista32? I'd be happy to be the guinea pig to test it for that.

I'm curious as to the program generated outputs. Is it the intent for it to mimic your actual test results, or is it purely theoretical calculations? If the former, are there any pics or details of your test appartatus? Of interest is the motor mounting arrangement and how the test apparatus might affect the thrust readings by interacting with the prop wash.

Being able to replicate what others are reporting with my own measurements has always been an interesting challenge, and the test apparatus is probably the biggest variable (more than the measuring instruments themselves).
Hi Tom
The software is a mix of physical laws and some empirical compensations :
Some adjustments can be made by coefficients power and thrust for every prop.
For every motor there is some adjustments upon
* averaged Kv for a lot of motors (not only one sample) and Io(iron losses) and Rm @ 20C
* temperature parameters (2)
But if we try to follow every tester, we have a risk to "oscillate" a little.
For now I think that a good order of magnitude is reached.
I am open to refine coefficients anyway.
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Apr 26, 2007, 04:50 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
I believe the "fix" was supposed to be the color of the heat shrink on the bullet connectors, not the wire insulation color. Why is it a good idea for color coding? When you ever disassemble a system and then reinstall the motor, with no color coding you have to go through the process of running it again to see if it is turning the same direction! This can be an unnecessary time consuming process if the motor is not yet mounted, the receiver and ESC are not connected or not readily accessible. Colors alleviate having to do that! Good grief! If it's only an issue of "looking cool" with all black wires then you can put some black heat shrink on the connectors so they all look the same.... it's not rocket science
Hi
It would be a good thing
A) To code colours for 3 phases any motor A, B, C to turn a conventional CW (or CCW) when looking to the back flange of the rotor.
B) To code same colours for phases any ESC A, B, C
Unfortunately it is not.
I suggest Georges (Scorpion) to define a Scorpion-color-convention Scorpion motor/Scorpion ESC.
I like red/yellow/blue or green/yellow/blue (to be different of red/black DC In)
Louis
Old Apr 26, 2007, 05:10 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdan
Hi
It would be a good thing
A) To code colours for 3 phases any motor A, B, C to turn a conventional CW (or CCW) when looking to the back flange of the rotor.
B) To code same colours for phases any ESC A, B, C
Unfortunately it is not.
I suggest Georges (Scorpion) to define a Scorpion-color-convention Scorpion motor/Scorpion ESC.
I like red/yellow/blue or green/yellow/blue (to be different of red/black DC In)
Louis
As long as the three wires can be easily differentiated, preferrably by color on the bullet connectors as a minimum, that suits my needs. I hook up motors to the ESC the first time in the most logical way, by color... one is always black it seems, then hopefully one other color matches, usually red or white. That's enough... I can then always reconnect them the same way every time. If the motor runs backwards that way, I reverse the direction via a setting on my ESC, then I'm done.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:45 AM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
I purchased a 3008/32 at the Toledo show. Nice motor!
I have a Graupner Cam 10X6 folding prop on it and a 3 cell Xcaliber 15C pack.

Full throttle is 18.1A and 196W. Just about perfect for my 2lb AP plane.

Brian
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Apr 29, 2007, 02:11 PM
non-recovering R/C addict
Wyoming, USA
Joined Dec 2004
189 Posts
Lucien,

Any news on when the motor kits might be available to purchase?
Kbofwy is offline Find More Posts by Kbofwy
Old May 01, 2007, 05:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,737 Posts
I have a call into Scorpion, and should hear back in a day or two regarding kit availability. Hopefully I can get some with my next order.

Lucien
Innov8tive is offline Find More Posts by Innov8tive
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2007, 09:26 PM
Meridian, ID.
Joined Mar 2005
709 Posts
oops. Sorry!
Tamej is offline Find More Posts by Tamej
Last edited by Tamej; May 01, 2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: New at the computer thing
Old May 01, 2007, 09:30 PM
Meridian, ID.
Joined Mar 2005
709 Posts
Quote:
We will also be introducing a new line of Speed Demon Brushless Motors. These are nice little units in the $14.95 to $24.95 price range for people that are on a budget, and just want a nice little brushless motor for their plane. These are available in several sizes and pole configurations ranging from a 3/4 ounce 1806 stator size, up to a 2815 stator size.
Lucien,
Any news on this line of motors?
Tamej is offline Find More Posts by Tamej
Old May 01, 2007, 09:30 PM
non-recovering R/C addict
Wyoming, USA
Joined Dec 2004
189 Posts
Thanks, I look forward to trying one!
Kbofwy is offline Find More Posts by Kbofwy
Old May 01, 2007, 09:35 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,737 Posts
Tamej,

They are still in the works. I have a bunch here, but I wanted to do a few prop tests before I list them so people know what props to use and how much thrust to expect.

Lucien
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2007, 10:10 PM
United States, WA, Kapowsin
Joined Jun 2004
461 Posts
Hi Lucien: Any Word As To When the 40MM Series Motors Will Be In Stock?
Cheers: Joe
Yardbee is offline Find More Posts by Yardbee
Old May 02, 2007, 12:29 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,737 Posts
Sneek Peek at the 40mm motor line!

Yardbee,

The 40mm motors are still in development, an it will be a little while before they are ready for retail sale. I will be speaking with the owner of Scorpion in the next day or two, and I will see if I can get an ETA on availability. I do have one of each model model that the owner of Scorpion left with me after the Toledo Show. There are currently 14 motors in the 40mm series in 4 different frame sizes: a 4020, 4015, 4035 and 4045. I also have one of the prototypes of the 55mm motors, a 5545-16.

Here is a photo that I took at the Toledo show right after I finished setting the motors out on the table.

Starting in the top row are the 4020 motors. There are 5 different winds in this motor for a variety of applications. From left to right there is the 4020-8, 4020-10, 4020-12, 4020-14 and 4020-16.

The second row starts with the 4015 motors. There are 3 different winds in this frame size including a 4015-10, 4025-12 and 4025-16.

Finishing off the second row are the 4035 motors. There are 3 different winds in this frame size as well, with a 4035-10, 4035-12, and dropping down to the beginning of row 3 is the 4035-14.

Next in the third row is the 4045 series of motors with 3 different winds including a 4045-10, 4045-12, and 4045-14. Finally in the botom right corner is the only 55mm motor that I have, and it is a 5545-16.

I have not tested any of the motors yet, since I have been very busy with other things, but they look very nice! All of the 40mm motors have 6mm shafts, with all of the design specs of the smaller Scorpion Motors. I do not have exact numbers yet, but the power handling of the motors will be around the following numbers:

4020 Series - 1200 Watts

4025 Series - 1500 Watts

4035 Series - 2000 Watts

4045 Series - 2500 watts

And for those that are curious, the 5545-16 motor has a power handling of around 5000 watts or just a hair under 7 HP!

The 4020 and 4025 motors are built like the 30mm motors with 3 shaft bearings, one in the back and 2 up front. The 4035 and 4045 motors have 4 bearings, with 3 on the motor shaft, and a fourth large ID ring bearing that supports the back edge of the flux ring. On a motor this large, the shaft would flex and allow the magnets to crash into the stator under Hi-G manuevers. To prevent this, the large diameter ring bearing is used at the back of the motor to support the flux ring can. Here is a close-up shot of the back end of a 4045 motor that shows this bearing.

So there you go, a quick look at the next motors that will be coming out from Scorpion. As soon as I get some more detailed information, I will post it here for all of you to check out.

More news to follow!

Lucien
Site Sponsor
Old May 02, 2007, 02:51 AM
United States, WA, Kapowsin
Joined Jun 2004
461 Posts
Hi Lucien: Thank You Very Much For the Sneak Peek @ The 40mm Series Line Of Motors!!! They Look Very Nice!! Cant Wait to Give Them a Try On 2 Of My Big Yak-54's Which Iam Converting Over to Electric

Best Regards: Joe
Yardbee is offline Find More Posts by Yardbee
Old May 02, 2007, 03:25 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,962 Posts
Hi Lucien

Could you get the weights of the samples 40 and 55 mm ?
Best regards

Louis