SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2008, 08:17 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Not a Scorpion but I ran a very hot wind motor in pusher configuration on a Speed Wing 250. I could not run the motor static for more than 5 seconds without it overheating yet in flight it always came down cool. It is amazing what a 100 MPS plus airflow will do to cool a motor.

When I posted about getting 980 watts out of my Scorpion 3026-10 several were nice enough to point out that at 68% efficency I was wasting a lot of power creating heat. Well fact is tha after a vigerious 5 minute flight the motor is perhaps 15 F above ambient. Another simple fact is that most of my flights are well below WOT most of the time.

2000 mAh = 2Ah . 2Ah X60 min(one hour) =120 amp. minutes. 120 AM/6 min. flight time = 20amp.average. so somtimes 80 amps. are being pulled for perhaps 5 second,sometime zero amps are being pulled and a lot of time 15 amps. are so are being pulled.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2008, 09:08 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_boy99
Well I think I may have found a nice sweet spot for my 3014 on the 36" Demon.

Flew it today and it went verticle on 3/4 throttle and it had no signs of ever coming down!!!

A pitch speed of 144mph didn't hurt either.

Vids to come,
B
I'll say that thing was fricken smoking....

I own the wing this beast in mouted too.. Brian has worked hard and long to dial it in right but it has a sweet spot.
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Feb 08, 2008, 09:22 PM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hweird
Jim,
Please review the charts posted at the beginning of this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=68. For example the 2215/22 motor rated at 200 watts is starting to overheat at anything over 100 watts. True, static testing creates heating challenges, but very surprising considering all the advertised high temperature components in the motor.
Howard
cloud-9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud-9
Last edited by cloud-9; Feb 08, 2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 09:28 PM
I do it cause it's FUN!
Oak Ridge
Joined Jun 2007
198 Posts
I liked the first 2 better Jim.
Smiky is offline Find More Posts by Smiky
Old Feb 08, 2008, 10:37 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,133 Posts
Howard - the point is that the motors can take a large amount of heat abuse and not die an ugly death, like so many cheap motors will. The motors are rated and classed so that YOU can make the right choice and get a motor that will get the job done - with comfort and a decent safety margin. {edited}

Wow - where did the forrest go? All I can see are these dang trees.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Last edited by JimNM; Feb 10, 2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2008, 07:07 AM
Flying is FUN
Joined Apr 2005
153 Posts
Reading pass post on the 30mm motors for .20-.25 planes it never said what esc to use he talk about the 25 esc but they do not sell a 25 Scorpion esc now and i belive it would be to small for what i need so for lazzy day flying my J3 cub .25 useing the 3014-20 motor and ni batterys what esc do i pick thanks
layback2 is offline Find More Posts by layback2
Old Feb 09, 2008, 07:21 AM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,184 Posts
a good example it to go at least "a half size larger"

if you think you'll draw 20 amps...go for a 30 amp esc..etc etc..

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Feb 09, 2008, 01:30 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Over heard during photo shoot.

What's that ,you say you have a Scorpion in your nose? It will be fine believe me I have had the same condition for months.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 09, 2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2008, 03:09 PM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiky
I liked the first 2 better Jim.

The angel on my other shoulder won out over that other guy.

Jim
cloud-9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud-9
Old Feb 09, 2008, 03:24 PM
HKG
Joined Feb 2006
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer_2
Will Scorpion be offering any inrunner motors?
Not in the near future, we still have a lot to do in developing our outrunner motors ranges, we are currently planning to release 7 or 8 series of new motors this year, so we donít have any plan to work on inrunners at the moment.
Regards.
Georges
scorpion_ESC is offline Find More Posts by scorpion_ESC
Old Feb 09, 2008, 04:48 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,184 Posts
Wow Charles, they look like they came out of the same factory..

Nice looking birds, flocking together..!

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Feb 09, 2008, 06:51 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
I would not be surprised at all. Construction very similiar, hardware is the same and colors match exactly. Phyton is almost exactly 10 ounces heavier but then it has two wings.

The Scorpion hit 920 watts on a cool 5S A123 today with a 14X7 and it was flying rather well Fri. with only a 4S and 560 watts. It will hover at 450 watts so I think I will have enough power on tap.

Charles
Old Feb 09, 2008, 07:11 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Jul 2005
263 Posts
Got a Pheonix 45 with a CC BEC and a Scorpion 3020-14 giving me fits.

I am running "fixed thottle" and have tried pretty much all of the settings I can think of.
If I "blip" the thottle very quickly past the lowest setting, the motor runs smoothly.
If I try to slowly advance the throttle I get a gawd awful noise,motor runs rough, and appears to start backwards before correcting rotation.
I also get the 3 flashes indicating an "over current" occurred.

Watt meter on fast blip run up to full thottle with 12X6e APC - 394wp and 35.8ap

Watt meter on slow advance (very rough start) not going past 1/4 throttle-614wp and 61ap!! <---over current

I have swapped in e-flite 40amp ESC and the motor works fine on slow throttle advance with it.

I have resoldered the bullet connectors on the CC 45, but still get the same results.
What am I missing here??
LandCruiser is offline Find More Posts by LandCruiser
Old Feb 09, 2008, 08:03 PM
I do it cause it's FUN!
Oak Ridge
Joined Jun 2007
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
Got a Pheonix 45 with a CC BEC and a Scorpion 3020-14 giving me fits.

I am running "fixed thottle" and have tried pretty much all of the settings I can think of.
If I "blip" the thottle very quickly past the lowest setting, the motor runs smoothly.
If I try to slowly advance the throttle I get a gawd awful noise,motor runs rough, and appears to start backwards before correcting rotation.
I also get the 3 flashes indicating an "over current" occurred.

Watt meter on fast blip run up to full thottle with 12X6e APC - 394wp and 35.8ap

Watt meter on slow advance (very rough start) not going past 1/4 throttle-614wp and 61ap!! <---over current

I have swapped in e-flite 40amp ESC and the motor works fine on slow throttle advance with it.

I have resoldered the bullet connectors on the CC 45, but still get the same results.
What am I missing here??
LandCruiser,

Take a look at post #1090 that may answer some of your questions.

Mike
Smiky is offline Find More Posts by Smiky
Old Feb 09, 2008, 08:18 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
I have a 3026-10 on a CC Phoenix 60A that does exactly the same thing. tried most every setting and gave up. just blip the throttle at start up and make sure brake is off unless you like excitement.

Those powerful Scorpion magnets are the blame so it would seem ,that and the fact that CC has a hard time keeping up with advancements in OR motor advancements.
Charles