SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:31 AM
Joined Jan 2007
82 Posts
Question
extra battery needed for retract servo?

I am considering getting a hangar 9 warbird (corsair or warhawk) and want to know how you can add an extra battery to compensate for the increased load of a retract servo. In serveral reviews of these birds it is mentioned a second battery is used just for the retract servo. how can I splice that into the system. I'm sure it might be common protocol but this is my first retract experience. Thanks.
fullscalepilot87 is offline Find More Posts by fullscalepilot87
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:39 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Why not just increase the mA value of your pack, and add an extra cell?

My suggestion would be a 6-volt 1200 mA battery pack.
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Mar 22, 2007, 12:49 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Would this take care of the problem of draining the battery if the retracts got stuck?
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:48 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
No it wouldn't. But is adding a separate battery the solution. If I did that, I'd need 6 battery packs in my plane just "to be sure" - one for each servo.

Redundency is cool, but can get out of hand.

How about a seperate rx just for the retracts? Would that ease your worries?

Better to go with pneumatic retracts to be on the safe side!
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Mar 22, 2007, 02:52 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,519 Posts
A separate battery for retract servos is a good idea, to guard against loss of volts if a servo stalls. I haven't done it myself (I've only tried pneumatic retracts), but I've read that it is done.

Not sure how, but I believe you need to make up a special Y-lead to send your retract servo lead(s) in two directions -- signal and ground (neutral) need to go to the appropriate channel in your receiver (with the positive lead disconnected), and neutral and positive go to the separate battery.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 22, 2007, 02:58 PM
Joined Nov 2006
432 Posts
I,ve seen where the guys used a Y harness and cliped one wire :the power line; And plugged it into RX then feed a switch lead into one side of Y the switch had a second batt on it. the other side of Y went to the retrack. Now you have to turn switch on to send power to retrack which is still controled by other batt and RX , But powered from second Batt. Most Y harness made up of three wires RED ,WHITE, BLACK, NOT SURE WHICH ONE YOU CLIP ,THE RED??????? YOU Only clip one wire on the lead to RX , WHICH WIRE ,THE HOT ONE ,YOU GOTTA GET VOLT METER TO FIND THE HOT ONE. I would draw a Diagram if I was More Computer literate.
wylieruneyjr is offline Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:16 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Bigplums done it,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...597267&page=15
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:46 PM
Joined Jun 2006
284 Posts
i have a plane i am put mechanical gear on still hsant flown it was a kit ultra sport 40 and im goignt to run 2 batterys you need another switch,battery,y harness clip the red wire (the positive its RED on JR stuff nt sure about other companies) now plug that end to the rx plug another end to the servos and the last end to a switch and and the switch to the exdtra battery i did it to because of the risk of a stalling servos.. i dont trust mecahnical retraks yet as this is my first set...
Flying freak is offline Find More Posts by Flying freak
Old Mar 23, 2007, 08:44 AM
Joined Jan 2007
82 Posts
thanks; that is very helpful.
fullscalepilot87 is offline Find More Posts by fullscalepilot87