4,895 Posts
Geez-that's beautiful!
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:39 PM
O stewardess I speak jive
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
At 240 bucks a pop I do not think they will sell out of those things. I think I will wait for GWS or somebody to come out with one at 1/10 of the price.
Jake Williams is offline Find More Posts by Jake Williams
Old Mar 22, 2007, 03:13 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,633 Posts
Yeah the price is tough... but hey you only live once. Whoever was flying the one in the vid greased her right in on landing. I got a little nervous there when I first watched it. She sure looks sweet!
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Mar 22, 2007, 07:06 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
It's a beauty, but too much bling for this boy!
J
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Mar 22, 2007, 07:31 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Nov 2004
353 Posts
Odd that HL didn't put the info about the retracts up with the kit. I know Mike Hines posted about how easy the install of the Alfa retracts was...Just curious if the speed controllers they list will handle the retracts.
williamciv is offline Find More Posts by williamciv
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:07 AM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
$230.00 ouch, looks great. Need Mike to chime in here and tell us he did a photo shoot of the retract install before I lay out my $$$.

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Mar 22, 2007, 04:27 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,288 Posts
Quick questions for those with experience with FSK models. How are they to build?

Also...Mike H...can you tell us what colour scheme the BIV will come in?

Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is online now Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Mar 22, 2007, 05:36 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Mike

I have done five FSK's, a bit more time involved for sure, depends on the degree of detail you have in mind. They fly nicely for sure. I have 6 Alfa's as well. Fly great, go together real quick, but lack in the detail of the FSK's.

Looking at the parts pictures for the Mossie, the fuselage sought looks like you need to add the nose cone, this could be for either the bomber version, yet to be released, or use the what appears to be an all black nose piece for the gunship version. so why all black or do my eyes deceive me

Is it a use the touch up paint to match it up with the fuselage paint scheme

Mike H, where are you...?

Jim
Last edited by Pilot44; Mar 22, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 09:00 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
O.K.

Let's see if I can answer a few questions.

The nose piece on the gun nose version is pre-painted to match the camo of the rest of the model.

If one was not doing the retract install on this model it would be one of the easier FSK kits to build. With the installation of retracts the work load goes up a bit as a lot of cutting and fitting is up to you. I will try to take some photos and do a little video to help explain the process.

There is a step on the plans that I feel is out of place. FSK has you installing the stabalizer fairly early on in the build. I feel that it is much easier to get the alignment with the wing correct if this is done at a point after the main wing is installed. A very minor amount of sanding/trimming of the mounting area can make a significant difference in the alignment of the tail.

I added a steerable tail wheel, very easy to do, it is directly under the hinge line of the rudder. I have the tailwheel mounted on a small dowel that extends up to the rudder. Works very well.

The retracts are Alfa units and the installation is very similar to the one in the Alfa Beaufighter. The Mossie comes with foam wheels, but I switched them with a set of Lyt wheels that was one size smaller in diameter for an easier fit in the nacelles. I did have to cut openings in the bottom wing skin inside the nacelles for tire clearance.

I recently sent a couple of emails to Jeti asking for some clarification of the use of BEC's in multi engine applications. I was always told in the past that one of the BEC's needed to be disconnected in a twin application. Well something has changed as I am now being told that it is O.K. to run both BEC's. I did a bit of experimenting this past weekend with my Alfa Beaufighter. It has 6 servos and I was flying it with both BEC's active. I had no problems with this at all.

The flight character of the airplane is solid, its an easy plane to fly and take offs and landings are really pretty easy. I am flying at the forward (they are calling it the trimming CG location). I had to extend the battery box further into the nose than shown on the plans, probably due to the retract install. The battery access is through a hatch on the bottom of the airplanes nose, much nicer than having to remove and replace the canopy.

I'm sure that more will come up and I will try to help.

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old Mar 23, 2007, 07:44 AM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,288 Posts
Thanks a lot for the comments Mike.
You don't by any change have any pictures of the BIV do you? Just curious what colour scheme they went with. I seem to remember a while back seeing a photorecon all blue with red tail scheme (which looked pretty sharp).

Jim...Thanks for the comments. I was getting a little worried there that they might be a bit of a pain to build. Although the cost is scaring me a little.

I wonder if FSK are going to be totally accurate with the B vs FB version. If so then they will have to change more than just the nose cone for the bomber version. They will also have to change the canopy. The FB and B versions had slightly different canopy shapes (little blisters on the sides of the bombers, and I think a flatter windscreen to assist aiming on the FB versions).
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:02 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Michael

The color scheme on the bomber version is the alternate camo version from the gun nose version. I don't remember which one is the "A" camo and which is the "B" camo but basically it is the same basic camo with the colors reversed.

I believe that the canopy on both models is the same, but I don't have the sample yet.

These kits are not inexpensive, partly a function of a terrible exchange rate combined with a very highly detailed model with a ton of very difficult scale work provided for you. To my eye this is the nicest flying scale model of a Mosquito available until you get into the really large models.

Mike Hines
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:56 AM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Mike Hines,

Hey, thanks for the good information on the Mosquito. Nice model.

Jim
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:59 AM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,288 Posts
Thanks for the info Mike.
I didn't mean to sound like I was leveling any sort of "complaint" about the cost towards H-L. Just a general comment on relative prices of things. I guess its the same for pretty much everything these days. Gad I sound old saying that. Maybe I should hitch up my pants under the armpits and start pulling a grandpa Simpson .
Anyway...I definately agree that by far this is the best looking Mossie that I've seen in this size range and therefore one that I will have to add to the hanger sooner rather than later.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 05:29 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Hey guys

Here are a few photos of the retract install and operation.

Mike Hines