HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:13 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,755 Posts
New Product
Model Solutions sound module

I'll be reviewing a new sound module shortly… have it in possession, just need some quality time with it. But I'll start the thread now so you can see what's coming.

It's from a new outfit in Canada, Model Solutions, http://www.modelsolutions.ca/ . Really a one-man operation, but the product looks top notch- a professionally designed board and interface software with a large but complete manual. I have yet to turn it on!

The product is not inexpensive- CAN $169- but its flexibility may well justify the cost against other digital sound products (especially if you need to buy multiple modules for all your desired sounds).

What's it got?

- Ability to record and playback 10 sound clips OF YOUR CHOICE with up to 350 seconds of total sound;

- High power audio output;

- 4 additional switched outputs for activating other devices;

- 16 button keypad to attach to one channel of your Tx;

- Ability to program two additional outputs to turn on with any given sound clip (like flash a strobe for gun fire when the gun sound is above a certain volume threshold);

- Programmable for momentary/latched operation on all switches;

- Loss of signal and low battery alarms that can be connected to any given sound;

- Remote volume control- cool!

- PC software so you can program the board with your own sounds and settings;

- A small sound library is included (KMOT- includes "PT-109" engine sound with start-up cycle!), but you can also use your own recordings or clips;

- Speed sensitive engine sound, and software to help you generate your own variable speed sounds.

The one challenge I see so far is that the product requires some electronics and computer savvy… not much really, but digitally challenged modelers may be intimidated by the tech jargon in the manual.

More later!

Pat Matthews
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Mar 21, 2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Clarify switched output functions.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2007, 02:01 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,464 Posts
Hmm,
Will it attach to the gear or flaps channel of the DX6?

And they do seem to be retailing the Mtroniks ESC. Good news for the
Canadian members of the board.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 21, 2007, 02:09 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,755 Posts
Don't know Umi- would have the same reqs as an MCD Switch-8. Didn't we figure that one out a while ago? I fergit.

BTW, the subject unit is a SFX4-3. They have another unit, only 8 sounds and two lamp flasher outputs, SFX4-2, which can be operated by remote switches (no decoder chunk). So if you have a static display or RR layout, just use panel switches to activate. Or if you already have an MCD switcher, use that to activate the lower cost SFX4-2.

PM
Last edited by patmat2350; Mar 21, 2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Correction: SFX4-2 DOES have prop. eng. sound!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 02:31 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
Don't know Umi- would have the same reqs as an MCD Switch-8. Didn't we figure that one out a while ago? I fergit.

PM
yeah,... had to be a proportional channel...
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 21, 2007, 03:40 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,991 Posts
Sounds (no pun) most interesting!!!!!!!!!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 21, 2007, 04:59 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,991 Posts
Quote:
Up to ten sound clips, including a semi-proportional engine sound, may be stored in one module and two sounds may be played simultaneously.
Pat, I would like to know what you think about the semi-proportional engine sound characteristic.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 05:04 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,755 Posts
Don't know much yet, but seems like it ought to work fine. Not sure that we don't have this with some of the other systems anyway.
Instead of taking one engine sound sample and squeezing it in time variably to speed it up, this system takes a base (slow) sample, and creates seven more clips each slightly faster than the last. Then, depending on throttle position, it plays an appropriate speed. Maybe on a very slow throttle run-up you might notice some steps, but I doubt it.
We'll see! (I mean, we'll hear...)

PM
Old Mar 21, 2007, 05:17 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,755 Posts
Also, since each clip has length, I wonder if you'll notice when it breaks out of one in the middle and jumps to the beginning of the next...

PM
Old Mar 21, 2007, 05:24 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,991 Posts
Something very interesting I just saw in the software manual. The PT-109 startup sequence takes 29.62 seconds. I am wondering if it starts each engine individually during the sequence? That would be very cool.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 06:26 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,755 Posts
3 starts? If not, the package includes some sound file editing software... I imagine one could overlay and stagger the clips into one file that has sequential starts.

PM
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:24 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,991 Posts
$169 is actually a resonable price:

169.00 CAD = 146.217 USD
Canada Dollars United States Dollars
1 CAD = 0.865187 USD 1 USD = 1.15582 CAD

I have the JJC sound module $80 and a slave unit and cable $60, $140 total, and combined it has 4 sounds and no other features. This unit, in contrast, has 8 sounds and multiple programmability and possibly many more sounds. It is worth it, as long as it works as claimed.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:38 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Hummmm, sound is next on my list of things to add to my boats...

Looking forward to your futher thoughts on this one, Pat- 'sounds' good so far!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:40 PM
Sound System Expert
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2006
420 Posts
Corrections - From Model Solutions of Canada

Some corrections :
The SFX4-2 switched interface version DOES have proportional engine sound.

The PT109 sound DOES include all three engines starting up - you can hear them wind up, then fire into action. Very deep, throbbing sound - very satisfying!

You CAN use a flaps channel. I have my keypad attched to the flaps channel of my Futaba Skysport 6 TX. As long as it is a proportional channel (stick or flaps) it will work.

You can have as many engine sounds as you like - up to the maximum ten, but only ONE can be associated with the proportional engine feature.

Yes, if you move the throttle stick slowly you will hear the individual steps -
but typically you don't.

There are EIGHT additonal engine steps (not seven) in the forward direction and two steps in reverse (you don't need to go full speed in reverse) - if you do you'll likely sink your boat!

Our prices are VERY reasonable when compared with competing high end units from Robbe and Graupner. Both of these are more expensive, neither have very limited programmability and are limited to 5 or 6 sounds!

If you want only one or two sounds, these units are overkill, but if you want extreme flexibility, programmability, reload any sounds you like (unique in the world!) and a ton of other features, then these modules win hands down!

See our competeitive comparison document at :

http://www.modelsolutions.ca/docs/So...Comparison.pdf

David Harrison
Owner and Chief Product Developer
Model Solutions of Canada
www.modelsolutions.ca
DavidHarrison is offline Find More Posts by DavidHarrison
Last edited by DavidHarrison; Mar 21, 2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:48 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,991 Posts
Hah-hah! I just came back and see David has posted here.

Welcome David! Your product is most welcome as well.

Guys, I e-mailed Model Solutions of Canada today and asked for some sound bytes. I have received them, and came back here to post that yes indeed, the PT has sequential start-up. It floored me, to be honest.

The difference between the JJC module and the MSoC module is night and day. I am most definitely sold on this product!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:06 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,755 Posts
Kmot- I think you lucked out, as Dave is also a PT fan... so you get good PT noises!
But now you'll also need to put little strobes in your twin 50's...

PM