Old Mar 21, 2007, 06:02 AM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
567 Posts
Discussion
Which F3F model

Hi All,

I currently have a Pike WR which I think is a great Ship, however I am looking to add to my fleet and think its wise to have another plane for Competition.

I do have an Xrace 2.5m but its too far off the pace

Which F3F would compliment the Pike best? I still think the Trinity is very good value and with the MG06 profile it's a quick design, however I don't think anyone in the UK uses one, so wonder why?. Any input advice would be appreciated. I also like the skorpion but its a bit pricey and theres a 5 month waiting list, unless anyone knows of a second hand one?

Dave
rumbey is offline Find More Posts by rumbey
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:08 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,520 Posts
I know a few people who tried the Trinity but couldn't get on with it - it's not a bad design, but the turn characteristics seem to take some getting used too (it's a "carver" rather than a "pinger" from what I understand). Suggest you get hold of the latest RCM&E, Mr Ellison summarises the latest birds and their current waiting lists there. FWIW though, the Acacia 2 seems to be having a rennaissance recently, and they are supposed to be pretty easy to get hodl of compared to Skorpions/Ascots etc.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:12 PM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
I can send you the .pdf in exchange for your private e mail address.....

Andy
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:39 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,299 Posts
I got a 31.61 seconds with my double carbon Trinity F3F at Parker in January (FROM A HAND LAUNCH, YOU DOUBTERS!)
My plane weighs 106 oz without ballast, and I had ballast to 120oz in the plane at the time. The plane likes good lift.

The lighter F3F Carbon D-box versions are coming in much lighter, and should be better in light conditions. I believe they build out to about 83-84 oz, which isn't very heavy, as the plane has a big wing.

Tuning is important with the Trinity, maybe even more so than some other planes.

The 3 piece fuse is very nice in the event that you mess up the nose on a landing.

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:53 PM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
567 Posts
Hi Target,

I've noted that the Trinity seems to be more widely used over the pond and having had the Banana which I loved and was very quick, I thought the Trinity would be ideal and its available!

Dave
Old Mar 21, 2007, 03:14 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,299 Posts
I wouldn't mind sampling a flight on one of the lighter D-box Trinity's- I hear that they are fast in light air, and the parts over here are pretty available.
Plus, they are a lot of $$ less than some of the other planes.
Both pluses...

People have gotten a little greedy with the aft CG on these planes, asking too much from them, with the predictable results...

Some fading color on the top of the wing and tails would be a nice addition; I had a hard time seeing my yellow one in some conditions before I added red to the tips of both on mine.

Bob Bro has a high-vis orange one, I kinda like that for the vis.

If you can get a good deal on a nice used one, I'd get it. If you don't like it, sell it to the next guy.

T

PS. The Acacia's are great planes too, and there are a lot of used parts in circulation. Something to consider.
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 21, 2007, 03:29 PM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
567 Posts
So what seems to be the best C 0f G + snapflap to get the Trinity to ping a turn? or as Matty stated earlier its move of a carver
Old Mar 21, 2007, 03:41 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,524 Posts
No the trinity will be very grippy when set up right. You need to use a lot of Snap flap on this plane, lots of camber with elevator deflection. There is a whole thread on Trinity Tuning, just do a search.

It is a great time to buy a competition model. There are so many good choices.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:03 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jul 2004
1,344 Posts
I am certainly no expert as Target and Dave can attest, but at my first F3F in quite a while at Parker last month I flew a 36 and change with my Trinity. That was with it certainly not optimized, I have not had time to do that. But I have slightly less than 1/2 " snapflap on the flaps, half that in the ailerons.

I have one of the newer carbon dbox ones Bob sells at SUSA, w/o the lugs for the RUD/ELE in the fuse. I never got a final weight as I don't own a scale. Given the opportunity, and in my case with much encouragement from both Bob and Timmig on the bang for buck issue, I have not regretted the Trinity at all. It is a very strong contender with the other cutting edge gliders, and at a much lower price point than most of them. A lot more than some of them. Talk to Timmig or Target. Timmig has considerable experience with all the different versions of the Trinity, and he sticks with it for several good reasons, among them strong consistent times, good value, and parts availability.

As usual. very long winded, but take it FWIW.

JIM - Tehachapi, CA
Who only wishes he had more time for F3F
Tehachapi Jim is online now Find More Posts by Tehachapi Jim
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:10 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,901 Posts
I'm a Trinitiy believer too---I've got over 10 sub 40 second runs with the Trinity F3F and I'm currently flying the carbon D-box version. AUW is 87oz with the CG at 110mm. This weight allows the plane to turn VERY hard and accelerate out of the turns as well. The older Trinities at AUW like Target's work very well in good conditions--but you need to get under 90oz AUW when you're seeing 50 second times to still be fast.
They will "ping" turns as well-- recently at Fermin practise race--the Trinity was the equal of the Skorpian-Aries-and NYX that it flew against in mid 50 second air.
There are lot's of great planes out there--pick one and get to know it REALLY well.
FWIW
Timmig
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Mar 22, 2007, 02:23 AM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Ah - Beware the talk of my plane being faster than yours and I did so many sub 40's..... In reality there's not a bugs nadger between the performance of the top models and the top pilots will still be the top pilots if they fly one of the supposedly 'slower' designs. If you get your air and don't f*** it up, you can squeeze a great time out of a real heap.
Anybody want to bet against an Ellipse 2V taking a comp in the hands of a Herrig?.....
Thought not..
My advice will always be to pick a model you like the look of and get to know it real well. You'll always get on better with a model you like. You'll fly it more for starters.
Andy
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Mar 22, 2007, 03:05 AM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
heino@tragi.ee
Try a Tragi, The best quality plane out there, and still a great contender.
A friend recently ordered one it arrived within 6 weeks.
Heino speaks English, responds very quickly to emails, will supply spares very quickly and is a please to do business with.
Took me to Third overall in the UK BMFA league last year.
Mike
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old Mar 22, 2007, 03:14 AM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
567 Posts
Thanks guys for all the info.

One area where I am a bit concerned is build quality/toughness of the Trinity (d box Carbon model) compared to others.

Mike ... Tragi. I am aware of a used one think its the 704? Any advice on which model

Dave
Old Mar 22, 2007, 03:40 AM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Hi DAve,
The 704 is the right one for F3f/slope flying, this has the RG15 section the others are better suited to flat field work, although the 704 is very good here as well.
The 704 is the later version of the 702, the only difference is that Heino bowed to popular demand and changed the ballast from the wing to the fuz. I have both options ( a 702 wing on a 704 X tail fuz) I prefer to ballast in the wing.
I currently fly a X tail which feels better in thermal turns than the V tail and very slightly more solid in F3f style corners.
The down side is that you only have one elevator servo, and the tailplane is more vunerable on landing. Overall I would recommend the V tail for slope.
They do come in two layup options either normal (F3B and heavy for F3f)
I wouldn't worry about this though if you have the option on a second hand one. Some days light is better some days having a very tough model is useful.
Mike
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old Mar 22, 2007, 05:13 AM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
567 Posts
Thanks for the helpful info Mark... Question is though, how much better is the Skorpion?

I know there is a 4/5 month wait but, I feel the Tragi with the RG15 profile is no better than my Pike WR?

Dave