Closed Thread
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:03 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fuzz
Sure, I could use a link to browse through. I already glued the fuse together though. . . I read a few threads about the weak tail, but I checked mine before gluing and it seamed pretty strong, so I went without the reinforcements. . I figured maybe the redesigned it a bit. I am planning on not crashing it, so it shouldn't be an issue. Do you think the Super Cub battery will work, or will it be to heavy? I have a 7 cell AAA size 650mah that I was going to use, but I was wondering if the SC battery would work as well. . .
Fuzz,

Don't worry about not reinforcing it. I didn't do anything to it, and it's fine. Besides, reinforcing is for when you're planning on crashing. And you're not planning on doing any of that, now are you?

Besides, the lighter you build it, the better. And a lighter plane won't sustain as much damage as a heavier plane.

If you can put Gorilla Glue or Sumo glue on the front landing gear, that'd be a good thing to go ahead and do. Mine came out the first time I landed, and it wasn't a very rough landing. So some expanding foam glue would do the trick I did mine with epoxy the first time around, and fixed it with Gorilla Glue. It hasn't moved ever since.

As far as batteries, obviously LiPo is the way to go, but if you can't do that right now, the E-Starter was actually set up for NiMHs, so you'll be OK.

But that's one more reason to build it light light light then!

Be sure to keep an eye on the CG. And if you're using the brick-style batteries from the SC, you might want to go ahead and put them on the inside of the plane instead of on the battery compartment. That's actually what I do with my LiPos, I just put a piece of Velcro to them and attached them to the inside, right above the battery compartment.
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:06 PM
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Jul 2007
1,116 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I was going to put the SC battery in side, as It wouldn't fit in the battery compartment! I test fitted, and there is room. I was just wondering if it would get off the ground! I am definatly trying to build light though. Have you had problems with the wing stablizer connector thingies coming out? The attachment seams rather weak, and I have heard that this can be a problem.
The_Fuzz is offline Find More Posts by The_Fuzz
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:07 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,257 Posts
FLYBEAR...Take a Look at HOBBY LOBBYs BUSY BEE rtf,high wing ,airerons,brushless.li-po,pusher prop,everything..182.00 and after a mo. &1/2 of being out of stock they finally have it.Im getting one next mo.Looks to be perfect for a.p.w/cam. mounted under bubble.
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:35 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fuzz
Sure, I could use a link to browse through. I already glued the fuse together though. . . I read a few threads about the weak tail, but I checked mine before gluing and it seamed pretty strong, so I went without the reinforcements. . I figured maybe the redesigned it a bit. I am planning on not crashing it, so it shouldn't be an issue. Do you think the Super Cub battery will work, or will it be to heavy? I have a 7 cell AAA size 650mah that I was going to use, but I was wondering if the SC battery would work as well. . .
I flew my E-Starter with one of my Astro Flight 010, 14-turn in the GWS EPS-300 Gearboxes and using the "A" gearing (3.75:1 ratio) and at first with the 10-Cell, AAA-size, 720mAH, Ni-MH's and then later with the 3-Cell, ETEC 1200mAH, 6C discharge, Li-POLYs. I flew the tar out of my E-Starter...

I commanded to perform all kinds of stunts and several reverse Rudder and Aileron inputs for a perfect Flat Spin...(don't do this too close to the ground!!!) and in one attempt to recover, I was not high enough and it pancaked perfectly on it's landing gear but, it did break off the tail....the tail was hanging from the control rods....however, slight hard landings on smooth "Hard" pavement will break the tail boom clean OFF and this is the reason for my recommendation of re-enforcing the tail boom with balsa or other material....if you have glued the halves together already...then never mind

Here's my E-STARTER thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102350
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Jul 20, 2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 02:55 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Yeap, got everyone drolling at the mouth when they saw my Parachutte and Bomb streamers coming down from 60 feet up...

I took her up for four flights and had a total of 6 drop demos...of course I landed her in mid-point of one of the flights in order to do this

It was awesome! Just great to see these bomb streamers and the parachutte guy coming down in the Blue sky background!

Here's some pictures!
Also, we had Three (3) Super Cubs in the air at the RC Club this morning and I had an experience with RF issues with the 3rd cub....he was on Channel 5 and I was on Channel 3. I do not have an issue with my buddies Cub on Channel 1 so, it seems like these transmitters have a trashy bandwith bleed or not narrow enough bandwith.

Example....as soon as the Cub with Channel 5 took off and the flyer came close to me in the Flyer's pitt my Cub's Drop Release was activated and fortunately I was not that far down range. Also, then he landed his throttle was turned on unsolicited by my transmitter as I was still flying my Cub.

Strange that I have no issues with Channel 1?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 03:08 PM
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Jul 2007
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Also, we had Three (3) Super Cubs in the air at the RC Club this morning and I had an experience with RF issues with the 3rd cub....he was on Channel 5 and I was on Channel 3. I do not have an issue with my buddies Cub on Channel 1 so, it seems like these transmitters have a trashy bandwith bleed or not narrow enough bandwith.

Example....as soon as the Cub with Channel 5 took off and the flyer came close to me in the Flyer's pitt my Cub's Drop Release was activated and fortunately I was not that far down range. Also, then he landed his throttle was turned on unsolicited by my transmitter as I was still flying my Cub.

Strange that I have no issues with Channel 1?
Interesting . . .we are in the same situation here, I have 1, and 2 friends with 3 and 5. We haven't all flown together yet, but I haven't had a problem flying with 1 and 3. I'll let you know if we have problems with the 3 and 5 when we get out. Definatly something we will be now testing for first though. . . Figured we would be in the clear having a spread like that.
The_Fuzz is offline Find More Posts by The_Fuzz
Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:13 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,257 Posts
flybear..Another plane..Go to bananahobby.com Look at "Phoenix-2000" R.T.F. brushless, li-po, ailerons ,charger @ 148.00 Cant beat the price.
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jul 20, 2007, 07:19 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2006
4,267 Posts
... except their website keeps hanging my browser... ;-(
msnyder is offline Find More Posts by msnyder
Old Jul 20, 2007, 08:59 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Flying into the SUNSET at work after work

We have a large field within the guard gates for Space Center employees and took off from the smooth pavement called the access road.

With the 3-Cell, Pro-Lite, 1320mAH, 15C discharge, Li-POLY she zoomed upwards like a Home Sick Dove. perhaps less than 7 feet and with payload...parachutte, and two drop bombs with streamers.

I commanded her to fly into the wind and gained significant altitude....it was exactly 7:47pm and this tinted orange Glow of the sunset was coming to focus. I thought the model was far enough down range and the parachutte and the bombs were let go.....bombs came down with pin point accuracy right next to a pinic table on the field but, the parachutte figure continue to float and float where I then realized that it was cought by a thermal like breeze going directly North and near the Causeway.

To my relief, the parachutte figure came down almost at the edge of the field adjacent to one of the merge on-ramps for the causeway. It took me a good walking distance to retrieve this parachutte figure as the grass on that part of the field was pretty tall and I broke into a sweat as Sunset was upon me.....I don't like walking in tall grass when the Sun goes down in swap like conditions such as the Space Center Well, there it was flapping in the wind from a tall stalk of grass / weed and it was visible from 30 feet.

The landing was something to dream about.....under 1/10 throttle with the propeller still spinning (almost wind milling) she touched down very smoothly and with accurate and grace.....taxi her all the way to my feet with a slight turn. I then was visited by a guard in an unmarked SUV and told me how surprised he was to see this small and light model take off.....fly sustained inverted (after the drop was initiated of course) and land so well. He told me that he flys Glow but, he was going to the hobby store and get a SUPER CUB first thing in the morning.

Another convert!!!!!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:09 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Flying into the SUNSET at work after work

We have a large field within the guard gates for Space Center employees and took off from the smooth pavement called the access road.

With the 3-Cell, Pro-Lite, 1320mAH, 15C discharge, Li-POLY she zoomed upwards like a Home Sick Dove. perhaps less than 7 feet and with payload...parachutte, and two drop bombs with streamers.

I commanded her to fly into the wind and gained significant altitude....it was exactly 7:47pm and this tinted orange Glow of the sunset was coming to focus. I thought the model was far enough down range and the parachutte and the bombs were let go.....bombs came down with pin point accuracy right next to a pinic table on the field but, the parachutte figure continue to float and float where I then realized that it was cought by a thermal like breeze going directly North and near the Causeway.

To my relief, the parachutte figure came down almost at the edge of the field adjacent to one of the merge on-ramps for the causeway. It took me a good walking distance to retrieve this parachutte figure as the grass on that part of the field was pretty tall and I broke into a sweat as Sunset was upon me.....I don't like walking in tall grass when the Sun goes down in swap like conditions such as the Space Center Well, there it was flapping in the wind from a tall stalk of grass / weed and it was visible from 30 feet.

The landing was something to dream about.....under 1/10 throttle with the propeller still spinning (almost wind milling) she touched down very smoothly and with accurate and grace.....taxi her all the way to my feet with a slight turn. I then was visited by a guard in an unmarked SUV and told me how surprised he was to see this small and light model take off.....fly sustained inverted (after the drop was initiated of course) and land so well. He told me that he flys Glow but, he was going to the hobby store and get a SUPER CUB first thing in the morning.

Another convert!!!!!
They let you fly an R/C plane at Kennedy Space Center?!? Wow, I thought they'd be more restrictive, but hey, good for you!

I'm glad you're able to fly at your work site!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:21 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
They let you fly an R/C plane at Kennedy Space Center?!? Wow, I thought they'd be more restrictive, but hey, good for you!

I'm glad you're able to fly at your work site!

Hey......what's 15,028 ft long and 300 ft. wide? (4572m long x 91 m wide)???

Give up?????????

We had three Fun Flys at the Shuttle Landing facility and hopefully another one soon will be realized after the next Space Shuttle mission is over...

Check out the local club Talk thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493479
Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:28 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Extremely cool indeed!

I take it anyone can go there and fly any time, right? After all, it's taxpayer money...
Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:31 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Extremely cool indeed!

I take it anyone can go there and fly any time, right? After all, it's taxpayer money...
Read the first paragraph that I wrote at the link I provided.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:40 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Read the first paragraph that I wrote at the link I provided.
I know, I was just teasing...
Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:46 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
I know, I was just teasing...
It is nothing new.......NASA stands for other things beside Space Exploration.....just take a look and these people fly RC Models almost daily for their jobs!!!!!

http://oea.larc.nasa.gov/PAIS/Concep...echnology.html

I just like Florida too much to leave......
Closed Thread