HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 04, 2007, 10:59 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
hey guys. question about the tx. were do you change the crystal? do you have to take the remote apart.is it possible to change crystals?
flyin C is offline Find More Posts by flyin C
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2007, 11:48 PM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin C
hey guys. question about the tx. were do you change the crystal? do you have to take the remote apart.is it possible to change crystals?
You can't switch the crystals on these radio's. The only thing you can do, is switch out the entire "receiver/esc unit" if you ever dicide to get a different tx.

They have 6 channels.. (frequencies).. to choose from....

Channel 1 - 26.995
Channel 2 - 27.045
Channel 3 - 27.095
Channel 4 - 27.145
Channel 5 - 27.195
Channel 6 - 27.255

But for whichever "transmitter channel" you choose to use.. you MUST have the SAME matching channel in the receiver/ESC unit as well.

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old Apr 05, 2007, 08:20 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Tim's right, but another thing is this: If you're thinking about changing your channel because someone else you fly with is using your channel, you're far better off just getting a new radio system. The stock setup with set up back some $60 if you buy it off Hobbyzone, but you could probably get a used 72Mhz radio system with a couple of servos and an ESC for not much more than that, and you'll be far happier with the performance and the fact that you won't get nearly as many glitches as you would with a 27Mhz one...

Or, you could go all out with this, but I don't think any of us need this for the SC...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPTU8&P=0

Hope that helps!
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Last edited by Spackles94; Apr 05, 2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2007, 09:42 AM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
thanks, so i wont even bother changing frequency's. what 72mhz radio is good for the price? around the $125 range because... i cant really afford that radio Spackles suggested
Old Apr 05, 2007, 10:02 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Oh, c'mon... what's stopping ya?

Well, if I were you, I'd personally go a bit over the $125 and go with the DX6, which is great because you don't have to worry about the frequencies, since it's a 2.4Ghz radio. A lot of people are moving toward that right now, so if you're thinking of staying in the hobby, that would be your best bet. You can find it new for as low as $180 shipped (with four servos and receiver included) , but you might be able to find one for less than that used.

Then the only other thing you'll need would be an ESC, and there's a WIDE array of choices out there, depending on whether you are using brushed or brushless. Tower Hobbies has some GSW brushed ones for as low as $10-$15. But there are tons of them out there (and plenty of used ones, of course...).

If you want a 72Mhz radio, though, there are plenty of choices out there. A lot of people like the Hitec stuff, and of course there's always Futaba. You can't go wrong with either of them, and they're probably the two most popular ones out there in the 72Mhz stuff...

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 05, 2007, 04:54 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
thanks a lot

i will get the 2.4Ghz radio
Old Apr 05, 2007, 05:10 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Good choice!

Sending you a PM, by the way.
Old Apr 06, 2007, 12:06 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
How much of the Super Cub electronics do you folks think can be taken over to another plane? I know, they're not worth much, but still...
I did. The biggest problem is the Cub wires from the servo to the tail cross so they have to cross for this application also otherwise something will be screwed up unless you do some creative stuff with the mounting.

flydiver
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Apr 06, 2007, 08:03 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver
I did. The biggest problem is the Cub wires from the servo to the tail cross so they have to cross for this application also otherwise something will be screwed up unless you do some creative stuff with the mounting.

flydiver
So, could you actually hook up a regular servo to the Rx? I know the standard servos have five wires and all, but I don't know how that translates to the standard stuff...

Not that I'm really interested, but I'm just of the curious kind...
Old Apr 06, 2007, 08:13 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Hey, has anyone put a prop adapter or prop saver on their SCs? I was looking at some different props today at the LHS, but they wouldn't work with the stock setup, which involves the lock nut and all that stuff.

So, what options are there out there if you want to use something different?
Old Apr 06, 2007, 08:44 PM
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Hey, has anyone put a prop adapter or prop saver on their SCs? I was looking at some different props today at the LHS, but they wouldn't work with the stock setup, which involves the lock nut and all that stuff.

So, what options are there out there if you want to use something different?
Pssst.... "this is the part where you get frustrated, and decide to go bruhless once and for all, lol.

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
Old Apr 06, 2007, 08:54 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustypagan
Pssst.... "this is the part where you get frustrated, and decide to go bruhless once and for all, lol.

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
Ahhh... good point.

So, how do you attach your prop to your brushless motor? Prop adapter? And I take it you don't have a gear set then?
Old Apr 06, 2007, 09:25 PM
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Ahhh... good point.

So, how do you attach your prop to your brushless motor? Prop adapter? And I take it you don't have a gear set then?
I used the stock props that I got when I ordered my SC. By the time I used up the 6 extra props I bought.. (which actually, I still haven't).. I switched to an AXi brushless outrunner. And those come with a "radial mount" so there aren't any adaptors, just a 4mm stud that the prop slides onto.. (which conveniently, the APC props come with little shims for different diameter prop shafts).

Hopefully someone else in the forums can shed some light on those prop adaptors......

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
Old Apr 06, 2007, 09:43 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
i was breaking in the motor and smelt melted plasic took it apart and think i saved the gear box in time. i forget to put the bearing and washer were the main gear and shaft go into the gear box. am i correct?
Old Apr 06, 2007, 10:12 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
i was breaking in the motor and smelt melted plasic took it apart and think i saved the gear box in time. i forget to put the bearing and washer were the main gear and shaft go into the gear box. am i correct?
That sounds about right. Unfortunately.

I think there are two bearings, then the washer. And, if I'm not mistaken, there's some sort of plastic tube there, too. I'm nowhere near my plane right now, otherwise, I'd tell you...
Closed Thread