HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 26, 2007, 03:24 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Maybe you could even replace it with the stick of your choice... I personally would rather have a stick than a slide, so if mine were to break off, I might even consider using some sort of wood/brass stick, it would make it easier to control...
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Last edited by Spackles94; Mar 26, 2007 at 04:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2007, 03:46 PM
L.I. NY
Joined Dec 2006
243 Posts
If it happens again thats what I'll do. It figures since I have no trans. that it's been great flying weather.
fly20 is offline Find More Posts by fly20
Old Mar 26, 2007, 03:46 PM
3D it
grandjunction, CO
Joined Feb 2007
511 Posts
this happened to me...and then i tried the ca trick...which lasted all of 5 min an then had to land with the throttle cut off , to fix permanaently i used a 1/16 bit and drilled into the center of the slide an then epoxied a small screw into the hole...which while looking ghetto did the job
kell0993 is offline Find More Posts by kell0993
Old Mar 26, 2007, 04:43 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell0993
this happened to me...and then i tried the ca trick...which lasted all of 5 min an then had to land with the throttle cut off , to fix permanaently i used a 1/16 bit and drilled into the center of the slide an then epoxied a small screw into the hole...which while looking ghetto did the job
Well, as long as it gets the job done, I don't care about looking ghetto. Otherwise, give the amount of Gorilla Glue and tape I've used, my plane probably could've come out straight from the projects...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:36 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Help with firewall/thrust angle

So today I found out that I have a cracked firewall. The plane kept turning to the right and having a hard time climbing. Yeah, it wasn't pretty. But at least it didn't break anything too bad...

Anyways, it seems the LHS doesn't have it in stock, so I'm looking at a homemade remedy for now. A friend and I were able to get the plane working a bit better by propping the firewall with some plastic, so that obviously helped out, and I thing I can fix it that way, with plastic and Gorilla Glue (because Gorilla Glue fixes everything, doesn't it? ).

My question is: How can I figure out the right thrust angle? After all, even if I replace the cowl, I'm still going to have to figure that out, though to a lesser extent. I know it's "a bit down, a bit to the right," but how much is too much?

And what's the best way to fix it in the meantime?

Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:03 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jan 2007
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly20
Anyone else have their throttle slide break off? Happened on my second flight and I honestly didn't feel like I was abusive to it. Sent it back for replacement and on my second week waiting for it to be sent back. Any tips on how to prevent this from happening again? Thanks.
I broke mine after I tensed up in an oncoming crash and applied a lot of pressure to shut the throttle down. Too bad the stick is not metal. I'm trying to search for a replacement part for it. If I get some, I'll post the source or offer some to others here. I was able to fix mine for now by taking the slider off the circuit board, disassembling the slide control for microsurgery, and removing the plastic stem part and gluing it back with some CA after drilling the base out a tiny bit to form a cavity. I felt that was the best approach to avoid having the glue run into the cavity and seize the control as already mentioned. It seems to be ok but not as strong as original. I expect it will break eventually again.

Actually, thinking about how I broke mine, you may be able to prevent it breaking by gluing in some plastic support stops to the ends of the slide control inside to support the plastic slide stem. I assume I broke mine because I caused excessive moment force at its end of travel. These stops would hopefully limit that force somewhat.

dave mc
davemac2 is offline Find More Posts by davemac2
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:33 PM
L.I. NY
Joined Dec 2006
243 Posts
Sounds like it's worth a try. I have to call hobbyzone and find out how long before I get it back.
fly20 is offline Find More Posts by fly20
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:13 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
How much of the Super Cub electronics do you folks think can be taken over to another plane? I know, they're not worth much, but still...

Say, for example, I wanted to go with an estarter without ailerons... do you think I could move everything to it and not have a big problem with it? Once I feel like I'm ready for ailerons, I could just get all new electronics...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 09:34 PM
Phila. Pa.
Joined Feb 2004
412 Posts
spackles94,
If you temporarily attach the motor to the firewall and attach the cowl, you can align the motor with the center of the propshaft hole. That should give you the proper thrust angles.
Chuck
chuxtruk is offline Find More Posts by chuxtruk
Old Mar 27, 2007, 09:43 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuxtruk
spackles94,
If you temporarily attach the motor to the firewall and attach the cowl, you can align the motor with the center of the propshaft hole. That should give you the proper thrust angles.
Chuck
Chuck,

Thanks for the response. So you're saying that, if the center of the propshaft is in the center of the cowl, it should have the correct thrust angle?

I'll try that -- though my cowl has seen better days.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:00 PM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
How much of the Super Cub electronics do you folks think can be taken over to another plane? I know, they're not worth much, but still...

Say, for example, I wanted to go with an estarter without ailerons... do you think I could move everything to it and not have a big problem with it? Once I feel like I'm ready for ailerons, I could just get all new electronics...
Realisticlly.. you "could" take all the electronics out of your supercub, and put it in an e-starter. But most anyone will not recommend it. You're better off getting new electronics that you can use with different radio brands, etc... and more importantly... get away from the 27mhz frequency that's far more prone to interference problems from other rc operators.
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:01 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustypagan
Realisticlly.. you "could" take all the electronics out of your supercub, and put it in an e-starter. But most anyone will not recommend it. You're better off getting new electronics that you can use with different radio brands, etc... and more importantly... get away from the 27mhz frequency that's far more prone to interference problems from other rc operators.
Yeah, I know what you mean... I was just wondering, though...

I'm still trying to decide whether I should go with the Spektrum stuff or if I should just stick with a used 72Mhz, since I'm not that experienced a pilot yet and I don't need all the bells and whistles...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:08 PM
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
Yeah, I know what you mean... I was just wondering, though...

I'm still trying to decide whether I should go with the Spektrum stuff or if I should just stick with a used 72Mhz, since I'm not that experienced a pilot yet and I don't need all the bells and whistles...
If you think there's at least an 80% chance that you're staying in this hobby through thick or thin.. i'd say GO FOR THE SPEKTRUM STUFF!! You'll be glad you did. It's the "wave of the future" in RC and it's where most remote control aircraft is headed anyhow. So you'll have a system that'll last you many, many years to come!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:19 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustypagan
If you think there's at least an 80% chance that you're staying in this hobby through thick or thin.. i'd say GO FOR THE SPEKTRUM STUFF!! You'll be glad you did. It's the "wave of the future" in RC and it's where most remote control aircraft is headed anyhow. So you'll have a system that'll last you many, many years to come!
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards... and besides, everyone's getting the DX7, so you can occasionally get the DX6 for a good price used...
Old Mar 31, 2007, 07:21 PM
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandus Gallus
Heres a good example of the wheel upgrade.
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...ead=1170126972
Nice little website over there.
Closed Thread