SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Mar 24, 2007, 07:15 PM
Joined Feb 2007
20 Posts
Hi guys, well i maidened my Cub about an hour ago, my first ever flight ( ) and have a BIG question!

My engine keeps stalling. It starts up, goes for a while, then when i try to really throttle up it cuts out. It happened about 30 seconds into my maiden flight, and surprisingly i didn't panic, luckily there was a breeze blowing so i glided for about 10 seconds then rethrottled. It then cut out again so i glided down for a landing which was relatively successful but i flipped over at the last second!!!

So any ideas. Basically i can't get a consistent spin on the prop. I have just tested it at home, just holding the plane in my hand, and the same thing happens.

Some points that might help you diagnose - My battery only took 10 mins to charge in my car. That's quiet fast right?

My TX is not the standard one that comes with the Cub. It has separate sticks for horizontal and verticle movements and the throttle slide is on the back on the controller.

Also, just so you know, at no point did i lose "controls" of the plane. I could turn etc at all times. Just no prop spin.

Thanks heaps in advance for any tips!!
NovaSensei is offline Find More Posts by NovaSensei
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2007, 07:25 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSensei
Hi guys, well i maidened my Cub about an hour ago, my first ever flight ( ) and have a BIG question!

My engine keeps stalling. It starts up, goes for a while, then when i try to really throttle up it cuts out. It happened about 30 seconds into my maiden flight, and surprisingly i didn't panic, luckily there was a breeze blowing so i glided for about 10 seconds then rethrottled. It then cut out again so i glided down for a landing which was relatively successful but i flipped over at the last second!!!

So any ideas. Basically i can't get a consistent spin on the prop. I have just tested it at home, just holding the plane in my hand, and the same thing happens.

Some points that might help you diagnose - My battery only took 10 mins to charge in my car. That's quiet fast right?

My TX is not the standard one that comes with the Cub. It has separate sticks for horizontal and verticle movements and the throttle slide is on the back on the controller.

Also, just so you know, at no point did i lose "controls" of the plane. I could turn etc at all times. Just no prop spin.

Thanks heaps in advance for any tips!!
Well, first of all, CONGRATS! Sounds like you did a heck of a job with your first flight!

Now... did you have the ACT turned on? That might've had plenty to do with it. It likes doing funny things, especially if you're stalling or starting to go down quickly. Honestly, it does more harm than good, so go ahead and turn it off.

The other thing I can think of is that the TX is different than the stock one. Did that come with a new plane?

About the battery... that's quite a fast charge, you're right. But I've never charged my batteries on the car, I've just peak-charged them on the way to the field. Do you have the little gauge set all the way to the right (I think that's something like 1.2 amps or something like that...). And was it the first time you charged it?

Hope that helps!
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:06 PM
Joined Feb 2007
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
Well, first of all, CONGRATS! Sounds like you did a heck of a job with your first flight!

Now... did you have the ACT turned on? That might've had plenty to do with it. It likes doing funny things, especially if you're stalling or starting to go down quickly. Honestly, it does more harm than good, so go ahead and turn it off.

The other thing I can think of is that the TX is different than the stock one. Did that come with a new plane?

About the battery... that's quite a fast charge, you're right. But I've never charged my batteries on the car, I've just peak-charged them on the way to the field. Do you have the little gauge set all the way to the right (I think that's something like 1.2 amps or something like that...). And was it the first time you charged it?

Hope that helps!
Hi Spackles!

Sorry i knew there were some other things i needed to clarify above! ACT was definitely turned off. I live in Australia, and purchased my Cub here, i think (not 100% sure) Australian sales get a different controller to other parts of the planet. It is the one that came in the box though, so i haven't tried to do anything tricky!

Regarding the battery, when i first discharged it, i figured it must almost be out because the plane kept stalling after 5 seconds or so. I only have the car charger, so i charged on the way to the field. It was set to 1.2 amps, but i was *really* surprised that it had charged so quiclky! I might go try charging some more now actually!

Thanks again for all the help, and also the kind words! I only flew for about 3 minutes but wow it was so much fun. I couldn't believe it but i wasn't nervous at all, just plonked it down and took off down the runway (well cricket pitch!!!). I'm so glad i had read all the great threads from here though, because i really didn't want to bring it down even though i knew things weren't quite working as they should be. But luckily i remember all the tips from RCgroups.com and brought her down safely! As a side note, i was amazed how well the Super Cub glided, just beautiful! So much fun!!!
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:30 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Hi Spackles!

Sorry i knew there were some other things i needed to clarify above! ACT was definitely turned off. I live in Australia, and purchased my Cub here, i think (not 100% sure) Australian sales get a different controller to other parts of the planet. It is the one that came in the box though, so i haven't tried to do anything tricky!

Regarding the battery, when i first discharged it, i figured it must almost be out because the plane kept stalling after 5 seconds or so. I only have the car charger, so i charged on the way to the field. It was set to 1.2 amps, but i was *really* surprised that it had charged so quiclky! I might go try charging some more now actually!

Thanks again for all the help, and also the kind words! I only flew for about 3 minutes but wow it was so much fun. I couldn't believe it but i wasn't nervous at all, just plonked it down and took off down the runway (well cricket pitch!!!). I'm so glad i had read all the great threads from here though, because i really didn't want to bring it down even though i knew things weren't quite working as they should be. But luckily i remember all the tips from RCgroups.com and brought her down safely! As a side note, i was amazed how well the Super Cub glided, just beautiful! So much fun!!!
Glad you're having fun. The Super Cub definitely is a nice plane to learn on. I'm enjoying it a lot myself. And yes, this is a great source of information, and you'll find that everyone is eager to teach and help. So, enjoy it, and soak up as much information as you can!

OK, so it's not the ACT (or so it seems) and it's likely that it's not the TX either (otherwise you would not be able to use the controls). Couple more things then... I take it your prop was tightly screwed in? I know, it sounds odd, but who knows.

Sounds like it could, indeed, be the battery. Yeah, I'd try giving it a good charge again. If you have a volt meter, it would be interesting to see what it says once it's fully charged.

It could also be the ESC, which, if it's messed up, they're going to have to replace the ESC and the RX, since they're both one piece.

I recommend that you charge the battery again and test it on the ground. If it's still messed up, just go ahead and let them send you a replacement.

Keep it up!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 01:13 AM
Joined Feb 2007
20 Posts
Thanks Spackles, it was the battery. Charged it properly now, and it's working perfectly. Heading out for a flight soon hopefully. I can't believe it got off the ground before, now that i can see how fast the prop actually spins with full power!!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 01:27 AM
2nd Plane
Lakewood, CA
Joined Dec 2005
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandus Gallus
Heres a good example of the wheel upgrade.
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...ead=1170126972

Thanks, using electrical tape is soo easy I never would have thought of it
Charlesbusa is offline Find More Posts by Charlesbusa
Old Mar 25, 2007, 08:38 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Spackles, it was the battery. Charged it properly now, and it's working perfectly. Heading out for a flight soon hopefully. I can't believe it got off the ground before, now that i can see how fast the prop actually spins with full power!!
Good deal, glad you got it all figured out! You see, these things are pretty simple after all! (Try troubleshooting a glow engine this easy )

Let us know how it went!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 08:40 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesbusa
Thanks, using electrical tape is soo easy I never would have thought of it
Yeah, it sure beats having to deal with one more thing, such as the brass tubing. I'm really tempted to give this a try... I may look and see if there's a better alternative to the shafts, too, something a bit more sturdy. I've gotten them bent from hard landings before...
Old Mar 25, 2007, 09:13 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Hey, do any of you folks use a prop saver for the SC? I've been thinking of getting one, but I don't even know where to started finding one...
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:23 PM
Joined Feb 2007
20 Posts
Hi,

Well after sorting out my technical difficulties i took to the skies for my second maiden! The wind was gusting at around 20km/h, which i know isn't ideal, but i thought i'd brave it.

First flight was great, pulled a little to the left when taking off down the runway (not sure if that is due to engine torque?) but got her airborne a flew around for a good 5 minutes. Managed three loops and even a stall thing (not sure of the correct term but basically got the plane vertical, hung for a second, then dropped back down nose first) and wow the speed generated comming down was just amazing!! I pulled up with about 6 feet to spare and then throttled down for my first really successful landing.

The second flight was where things really got interesting. My flying spot is a connection of 5 cricket and soccer fields. Right next to these fields a TUNNEL is being constructed to pass under a railway line. Uh oh i hear you say!! Midflight i made a real newbie mistake. I was flying downwind and pretty close to the contruction area. Uh oh i hear you say again!!!!

You guessed it, a huge gust of wind literally stole my cub away from me! I watched in a panic and my new plane soared over a 3 meter (that's reasonably high for you non metric folk) security fence! The worst part was i didn't even see it land!!! It just dissapeared into the void!!!

Well i'm sure you can imagine how hard i was kicking myself! I walked up and down the fence line looking for my plane but couldn't see it anywhere. I throlled the controller (stupid i know) and heard it firing up somewhere below me.

After about 15 minutes of walking up and down i finally found a good spot to climb the fence (stupid i know) and eventually i got over!! My plane was sitting part way down the sloping excavation area upright and in one piece! A perfect landing! I climbed down and grabbed the plane then got back to the fence line. Uh oh, how to climb the fence with the plane in my hand. Can you believe it took me five minutes to think of just flying it over!!!! Silly me. So i throttled it up, back away from the fence and launched that sucker right over!! One poor landing and difficult fence climb later and my cub was on her way home with one very dusty propeller but in one piece!

So that was my exciting Sunday afternoon down here in Australia. I'll try to take some pictures of the contruction site next time i'm there!

Needless to say, when i got home and my fiance asked how i went, i just said "yeah really good, no crashes at all!"......

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention, the fence had barbed wire on top!!!
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:00 AM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
I suppose it could have been worse, lol.

You could have broken your plane.. AND your family jewels, lol.
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old Mar 26, 2007, 09:38 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Hey, nice job! And yes, it could've been much worse. But it looks like you did a pretty good job altogether! And you didn't lose the plane, so I'm sure that you're already looking forward to going on your second adventure (sans wind, of course ).

Hey, and you technically didn't crash it!
Old Mar 26, 2007, 02:49 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Yeah, great job! You can probably get in trouble for jumping that barbed wire fence though
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Mar 26, 2007, 03:00 PM
L.I. NY
Joined Dec 2006
243 Posts
Anyone else have their throttle slide break off? Happened on my second flight and I honestly didn't feel like I was abusive to it. Sent it back for replacement and on my second week waiting for it to be sent back. Any tips on how to prevent this from happening again? Thanks.
fly20 is offline Find More Posts by fly20
Old Mar 26, 2007, 03:20 PM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Depending on where it broke.. (ie: the plastic part you move with your thumb/finger.. or inside, where it attaches to the circuit board).. you could use some CA glue to bond it to the slide again. Just pop it off... and then add a drop of CA.. (but no more than that or it may run down and freeze the control).. and you should be back in business!
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Closed Thread