Closed Thread
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:36 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2006
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
Dave,

One more question: How long did you use it before you felt comfortable moving to a second plane? And what did you get after that?
4 or 5 months-Multiplex Minimag, with a brushless inrunner-believe it or not, it handles "the same" in all axes, just faster (or, if you wish, as slow).
Dave Matison is offline Find More Posts by Dave Matison
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2007, 09:08 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
I have a Super Cub section on AmpAviators:

AmpAviators SC Articles

Includes a full review plus assorted mods and prop tests.
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
Old Mar 21, 2007, 09:32 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Matison
4 or 5 months-Multiplex Minimag, with a brushless inrunner-believe it or not, it handles "the same" in all axes, just faster (or, if you wish, as slow).
Cool plane, seems like a nice alternative to the Estarter. And it's nice to know that it'll handle just as fine as the SC. It'd make a nice transition to ailerons...
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Mar 21, 2007, 09:34 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaFly

AmpAviators SC Articles

Yeah, I've checked that out before. Nice job!

One question about your prop tests (I also asked this question on the RC Universe forum...): Do all the props you tested fit OK in the SC, as in not needing a separate spinner, and just being able to attach them with the lock-nut system?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 12:52 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaFly

AmpAviators SC Articles

Awesome page! I learned a lot there! I am looking for one of those Eflite 1147s today.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Mar 23, 2007, 08:44 PM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
I know this is probably a little random.. but, how many people that own a supercub, or want to get one.. wish that they would make an ARF kit, so you can put your own electronics on it instead of having the stock stuff that you can't use on any other project..? I know alot of people would buy them. After all, the supercub IS a great flyer!!

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old Mar 23, 2007, 09:29 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustypagan
I know this is probably a little random.. but, how many people that own a supercub, or want to get one.. wish that they would make an ARF kit, so you can put your own electronics on it instead of having the stock stuff that you can't use on any other project..? I know alot of people would buy them. After all, the supercub IS a great flyer!!

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
Count me in!

Well, sorta.

Right now, I would probably like an ARF Super Cub (granted, you can buy the pieces separately at Hobbyzone, but that's still a bit pricey) as a second/third plane. I would put a DX6, a brushless, custom wheels, all that jazz, and it would be awesome. And I may very well do that some time in the future.

HOWEVER, I'll say this: It's the perfect beginner plane for me, and it's really nice that it came with all the electronics set up and all I had to do was screw a couple of things and charge the batteries and I was ready to go -- on a budget, too! And, if it wasn't because of that good price, I probably wouldn't have started flying.

SO... I think Hobbyzone should have an ARF option for sale (with ailerons, please!), but it's really nice that it does come as a RTF.

My $.02
Old Mar 23, 2007, 09:33 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
I believe www.hobbyzone.com can (or if not, will soon) offer all of the pieces seperately though it might be a bit pricey to buy it that way.

The thing is that these planes work EXTREMELY well with the stock gear...there are absoluetly no concerns with range either. I flew mine up to the very limit of my eyesight (which is good) with no problems at all.

Some people walking dogs in the park thought I was insane because I was staring up at a "blank sky" with the TX in my hands.... until I put it into a steep dive and brought it in for a landing a while later.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Mar 23, 2007, 09:42 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
OK, I just added the parts really quick (including prop shaft and spinner and prop and whatnot) and it's about $67. Not too bad, if you ask me... Still, I figure they can do better than that if they sell everything together...
Old Mar 24, 2007, 03:33 PM
2nd Plane
Lakewood, CA
Joined Dec 2005
26 Posts
I have tried searching, but the search engine doesn't work well unless you know what thread you're looking for.

Wheels, where/what kind of larger wheels can you put on the HZ super cub?? Hopefully, a set of wheels that don't weigh much more and can fit the stock parts.

Thanks.
Charlesbusa is offline Find More Posts by Charlesbusa
Old Mar 24, 2007, 03:55 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Charlesbusa,

Someone told me that they use the 2 3/4 inch Du-Bro wheels. He said they were good for grass take-offs... Here they some on Tower Hobbies (about $5-$8):

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZF1&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD762&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD779&P=7

I personally like the first ones.

I think you might need to drill a bit to get them to fit on the shafts, but I don't think it's bad. Of course, you could always go with a new wheel setup. Something like this perhaps?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNM65&P=0

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ921&P=0
Old Mar 24, 2007, 03:59 PM
2nd Plane
Lakewood, CA
Joined Dec 2005
26 Posts
Thanks Spackles94
Charlesbusa is offline Find More Posts by Charlesbusa
Old Mar 24, 2007, 04:04 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
I do what I can, and I do it gladly. (Read: I don't have much knowledge, but I sure can play around on Tower Hobbies).

Let us know what you end up with. I'm personally looking at upgrading the stock gear, too. I guess we'd need to put a bigger tire on the tail, right?)
Old Mar 24, 2007, 04:23 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,095 Posts
Heres a good example of the wheel upgrade.
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...ead=1170126972
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Mar 24, 2007, 04:43 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Grandus Gallus,

Thanks for the link. That looks like a nice, inexpensive setup. I think I'm going to give it a try some time.

Oh, by the way, today I "replaced" my wing struts with fishing line. I'm going to test the plane out tomorrow, let's see how that goes. I used braided Spider Wire, which apparently doesn't stretch. Since my stock ones had broken, I just took the part where it attaches to the fuselage and ran the line through it, then tied the line to the wheel. That way I can just unscrew it from the fuselage and I'll be good to go.

The line is a bit tight, but it still has plenty of give. Is that OK? I think the wings are a bit more straight now, which I guess will make for a bit different flying experience, right? But I think it might be a nice, inexpensive mod to the SC, because the stock struts don't do anything to performance of the plane, as far as I know. Other than add weight, of course.

I'll report on how it goes some time tomorrow.
Closed Thread