Closed Thread
Old Apr 21, 2007, 08:46 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrud
Speaking of batteries, how do you guys determine if it's about time to land? I know the manual says once you lose enough power to climb at full throttle, but are there other techniques? Generally I just keep it safe and only fly for about 8 minutes so the motor doesn't die while I'm flying.

-Derrud
Yes, those are good places to go buy batteries from. And, from what I hear, they ship them out quickly...

As far as flying time, I personally err on the side of caution and keep it safe like you do. But eventually you'll notice when you're running out of steam, so to speak... I don't wait for the cutoff thing, but that's what it's for, so that's another way you'll find out... just don't be too far away.
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2007, 08:54 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
when the throttle cuts off, you can easily fly back towards you with half throttle, I use it for most of my flights unless its windy
flyin C is offline Find More Posts by flyin C
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:25 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2006
4,267 Posts
Quote:
What are some good batteries that can be charged with the stock chargers? From the sounds of it the 8 Cell 9.6V 1100mAh battery can only be charged with the wall charger. What about the Elite 1500? Just looking for an extra battery or two without having to spend a bunch on Lipos and new chargers.
Well, the supplied chargers aren't very good -- but you should be able to use them with any NiMH battery that has the same number of cells and equal or greater capacity (ie. eg. the Elite 1500). They'll just take longer, 'cause the charger puts out a fixed amount of current.
msnyder is offline Find More Posts by msnyder
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:30 AM
United States, MN
Joined Mar 2007
39 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the replies!!

I'll probably still fly my shorter flights to avoid the throttle cut off, or at least until I'm more experienced.

So I was looking at the Elite 1500 battery from cheapbatterypacks.com, and it looks like you have to 'build one' to make it 8 cell, correct? Otherwise it seems the one they sell for the Super Cub is the 7 cell. I've read that the difference between them is that they give about the same flight time, but the 8 cell will give more thrust. Does that sound right?

Anyway, if I were to have them build me one would this be the correct configuration:
8C/ELITE1500A/Brick/18AWG Wire/Small Male Tamiya

Thanks all
Derrud is offline Find More Posts by Derrud
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:46 AM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,197 Posts
Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the replies!!

Anyway, if I were to have them build me one would this be the correct configuration:
8C/ELITE1500A/Brick/18AWG Wire/Small Male Tamiya
Hi Derrud.

Thats a good set up except i would change over to Deans instead of Tamiya.

Dont forget Cubbers to pop in @
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/index.cgi
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:10 PM
United States, MN
Joined Mar 2007
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandus Gallus
Hi Derrud.

Thats a good set up except i would change over to Deans instead of Tamiya.

Dont forget Cubbers to pop in @
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/index.cgi
Like this?
8C/ELITE1500A/Brick/18AWG Wire/Male Deans

The Deans will fit fine with all the other stock equipment? It looks so different.

Thanks!
Derrud is offline Find More Posts by Derrud
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:50 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,197 Posts
Quote:
Like this?
8C/ELITE1500A/Brick/18AWG Wire/Male Deans

The Deans will fit fine with all the other stock equipment? It looks so different.

Thanks!
No..

Female Deans plug on your batt. Then you would have to change your plugs on your charger and the lead that comes from your rx/esc on the cub, with male Deans plugs
Old Apr 23, 2007, 05:35 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
That's a great setup, Derrud. Deans are fine, but no, I'm not trying to get into a connector battle here I'd consider Powerpoles, since you won't have to solder them, and they're easier to connect/disconnect, and cheaper, too!

But that's just my two cents.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:57 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2006
4,267 Posts
Spackles94, funny you should say that -- I just decided to go with
Anderson Power Poles myself. Bought two pair over at RC World of Planes.

I like that they can be crimped, but will probably solder them in addition to
crimping them.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:08 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Good deal! I think I'm going the Power Poles route myself, too. Now, I've heard that the less you to do them, the better, so I wouldn't even worry about soldering them. There's a great thread going on around over here (and on the following pages):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...663797&page=14

Also, check out this site: http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp...015&CtgID=3014 . They have 10 sets of Power Poles for $10! And the crimper is only $12. So that sounds like a great deal to me, actually.

Also, here's a good article about Power Poles: http://www.flyrc.com/articles/using_powerpole_1.shtml

Have fun!
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:43 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,197 Posts
Everybody has there favorites, mine happens to be Deans. Plus if derrud is getting his batts made up by CBP i dont think they give the option of Powerpoles.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:03 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2006
4,267 Posts
Well, I just did the Power Pole conversion! Seems to work great.
I didn't have the crimper, so I soldered them. I now have two
battery packs to fly in the morning, weather permitting.

The immediate impetus for this conversion was that I didn't have
a spare Tamiya connector to put on my new battery pack. ;-)
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:59 PM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Well... my buddy finally got around to ordering his very own HobbyZone SuperCub. It came in this past thursday. He's flown it twice so far, and he loves the way it flies! Weather permitting.. him and I are going out to do some flying.. (saturday).. tomorrow morning.

So there'll be two SuperCubs in the air.. along with a few others that i'll be bringing along.. like my E-Starter, Magpie AP, (modified) J-3 "pico" Cub and my trusty SlowStick.

How about everyone else...? How's the flying been over there...?

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:34 PM
My flying = SCARY!! ;0)
Dartmouth, MA
Joined Apr 2007
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustypagan
Well... my buddy finally got around to ordering his very own HobbyZone SuperCub. It came in this past thursday. He's flown it twice so far, and he loves the way it flies! Weather permitting.. him and I are going out to do some flying.. (saturday).. tomorrow morning.

So there'll be two SuperCubs in the air.. along with a few others that i'll be bringing along.. like my E-Starter, Magpie AP, (modified) J-3 "pico" Cub and my trusty SlowStick.

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)

It's bad enough that you got ME into this stuff... but now you're dragging Dave into your obsession too!

~Niki~
DustyPagansWife is offline Find More Posts by DustyPagansWife
Old Apr 29, 2007, 03:32 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustypagan

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
Here is a flight i had Friday evening.
http://media.putfile.com/windy-71

How was your flying on Saturday?
Closed Thread