HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:44 PM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Discussion
Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (part I)

Okay, it seems that the HobbyZone SuperCub is steadily becoming one of the top 5 "most bought" beginner planes out there. So why not make a thread specifically for those who need some help with there SuperCub's right?

Let's try to keep this on topic please.. because we all know how often the topic tends to stray in these forums, lol.

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Last edited by thedustypagan; Apr 30, 2007 at 01:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2007, 05:00 PM
Joined Feb 2007
20 Posts
Great, thanks! This will be very helpful as i bought one last week (first plane).

I'll kick things off with a question - Regarding the landing gear, should it "snap" in securely at all? Mine is just resting in the slot provided. Is this correct?
NovaSensei is offline Find More Posts by NovaSensei
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:12 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSensei
I'll kick things off with a question - Regarding the landing gear, should it "snap" in securely at all? Mine is just resting in the slot provided. Is this correct?
Try to pull on the landing gear gently. If it stays on, then it's okay. If it comes off, then it's not okay

I don't have a Super Cub, but it should snap in, though.

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:19 PM
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Yup.. it should fit securly in the slot.

Edit: Slso, alot of people recommend putting some 5 minute epoxy inside the slot where the landing gear goes, to help keep it nice and secure.
Last edited by thedustypagan; Mar 20, 2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:42 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Try gently pinching the wheels together as you put it into the slot... then release it.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:22 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
The Cub is just a great all around flyer and even makes a great camera platform... (you just have to find a way to keep the prop out of view )
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:23 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Great idea on setting up the Super Cub thread!

About the recent posts...

Landing gear: Yes, pinch it in, as in pull the wheels together, and let it go in. It should go smoothly (somewhat). It took me a bit to figure that out myself.

Camera: Nice setup! What sort of camera is it, and how did you attach it? And how do you make it snap photos?
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:27 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2006
566 Posts
I used one for months as a trainer and enjoyed the hell out of it! I suggest lots of packing tape on critical areas (others with more recent experience please chime in) such as the leading edge and where the rubber bands hold down the wing (also in front and behind the area of the wing where it fits into the fuse).
Dave Matison is offline Find More Posts by Dave Matison
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:38 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Yeah, I'm about to put some into the wing areas, too. Good idea. Especially in the rubber-band areas, it sure can get nicked out there...
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:40 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Dave,

One more question: How long did you use it before you felt comfortable moving to a second plane? And what did you get after that?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:40 PM
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38
The Cub is just a great all around flyer and even makes a great camera platform... (you just have to find a way to keep the prop out of view )
You'd think you'd have a considerable amount of drag due to that camera setup. Does it affect your supercubs flight, or performance in any way?

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:41 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustypagan
You'd think you'd have a considerable amount of drag due to that camera setup. Does it affect your supercubs flight, or performance in any way?

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
Yeah, why not put it where the battery compartment is?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:47 PM
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
Yeah, that's where i'd put it too. But you have to admit.. that must really be an eye-catcher when it's flying around in the air. People that happen to see him flying would do a double take, and wonder what the heck that was, sticking out of the top of the plane like that. I'm sure most would assume it's an antenna or something to that effect.

Smokescreen38.... you have to get a video of you flying that setup. I just have to see how that looks while it's flying, lol.

Nice use of imagination in designing that camera rig though.

Fun and safeflying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:22 AM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,195 Posts
Quote:
I put my 5 in 1 camera just behind the batt compartment and pointed it down slightly so the prop would not be in shot.

http://media.putfile.com/sc002
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:30 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Camera: Nice setup! What sort of camera is it, and how did you attach it? And how do you make it snap photos?
Thanks. Its the Verbatim 5 in 1... While it will shoot stills, it excels as a super light weight video camera with decent quality.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421745

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustypagan
No doubt... but the Cub only flys at about 15mph anyway (my esitmate) and you really don't feel the extra drag. I still was able to ROG, climb and glide with no problems and with no obvious detriment to flight times. The camera is light and the CF rod weighs nothing...

There are a number of places where you can mount the camera, this one offered the best view of all the ones I tried... and as far as I know, no one else has done this yet. Pulling the top anti-crash sensor provided a perfect mounting spot too.

My favorite clips are the ones where you just hold one direction for as long as possible at a nice high altitude. It gives the illusion of being on a real plane.

This plane is a real workhorse though with some power to spare, even with the stock power system. I imagine it would make a good tow vehicle for gliders too.
Closed Thread