HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What do you think I should do?
Fix Up the Airstrike 4 20.00%
Get an Easystar 15 75.00%
Other - please post your idea in this thread 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:24 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Poll
What do you think I should do - Get an Easystar, or ''fix up'' my Megatech Airstrike?

Well, I bought a Megatech Airstrike as my first plane, yeah, I know..........it was a bad idea, but that was about two years ago and since then, I never successfully flew the Airstrike. So, I never really learned how to fly a three channel plane yet

Even after 1,300 posts on this website. I think I have enough knowledge about flying, though

Well, I was thinking that I should get a proper beginner plane to learn how to fly on, so I was thinking about getting an ARF Easystar for $57. I have all of the equipment to get a variety of planes, so I don't need to worry about getting a Tx, charger, ect.

But if I get the Easystar, it will cost me about $130 to build it. So, I was thinking about ripping all of the heavy electronics out of the Airstrike and installing some HS-55 servos, a brushless motor, and all of that good stuff in it

That would only cost me about $60. So, what do you think I should do? Get an Easystar, or ''fix up'' my Airstrike.

Also, if I put all new, lighter electronics in my Airstrike, do you think it will fly better?

P.S. Here is the thread about my Airstrike.

Thanks,

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Last edited by BD Flyer; Mar 20, 2007 at 02:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2007, 05:57 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
I think you should invest in a TRAINER plane and also look for a club in your area who might have some folks willing to help you out. Also a flight simm is a great idea to give you a little more help. FMS has a free down load that I've been playing with.

So yes, get an Easystar, I hear it's a great trainer plane as is the Hobbyzone Supercub or the Hobbico Superstar EP which is Balsa.

Then, box up that airstike and send it to me to fix up.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:58 PM
United States, PA, Shippensburg
Joined Dec 2004
468 Posts
I have an airstrike that I got as a first plane and had lots of fun with it. Even more fun when I fixed it up with a new receiver/speed controller, hitec servos, speed 300 motor and a lipo pack and it is very powerful. It is great! I can get 14-17 minutes flight time. Full power climb to 35 m and reduce power and it still climbs. I'd vote to fix it.
ariesmars is offline Find More Posts by ariesmars
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:01 PM
Just add water!
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Joined Aug 2005
468 Posts
Get a T-Hawk!

I LOVE that plane!

Tom
Tommyr is offline Find More Posts by Tommyr
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
My recommendation, IF you have a nice large area to fly in is to get the Easy Star ARF. There's no reason it should cost you $130.00 though to get it airborne. They come with a very adequate 400 sized motor that will work very well with 7 cell NiMh batteries of around 1000 - 1100 mAh. One of these batteries will weigh a tad over 5 ounces, and that's just about what you need to get a nice center of gravity with the Easy Star. Whatever servos you have now in your MegaTech should work just fine.

Build the EasyStar bone stock, stay away from the un-needed rudder mod, don't attempt to take the looseness out of the wings, use CA and kicker to put the fuse halves together, and use epoxy to attach the stabilizer to the plane. Then take it out and have some fun in the wind. They like the wind. They like calm too.

Just my opinion...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:26 PM
Joined Apr 2005
997 Posts
Chuck nailed it. The stock configuration is a beautiful flyer and about the only mods I've seen that really seem to be worth doing are going to 3s lipos and APC props...but that's NOT necessary.

The Easy Star LIKES to fly, and it LIKES beginners. There are all sorts of other planes which might suit you very well, but experience says the EZ has the best chance of giving you what you need...success in the air.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:42 PM
SE, OH
Joined Nov 2006
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyr
Get a T-Hawk!

I LOVE that plane!

Tom

Yuck! Sorry, but I started with one of those.... it's now in a land fill somewhere ....

Then got an Easy Star. Great plane. Teaching myself to fly with it. Just love it. Now I have a Mini Mag too. Very easy planes to learn with. Good luck with whatever you try.

Baytel
baytel is offline Find More Posts by baytel
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:27 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Alright, thanks guys!

I think I am going to get an Easystar, but I might try to fly my Airstrike again (stock). If I do fly the Airstrike again and I crash it badly, then I will just get an Easystar.

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Closed Thread