Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 11, 2002, 08:50 AM
2thFxr
Sevierville, Tennessee
Joined Jan 2002
779 Posts
Where to buy large blocks of 1# foam?

Does anyone know where I can buy large blocks of the 1 pound foam. where in the phone book would I look for companys that would carry this?

Thanks,
Bradley
Doc Dyer is offline Find More Posts by Doc Dyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2002, 09:18 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,926 Posts
Try www.aircraftspruce.com
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Oct 12, 2002, 10:54 AM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
1 pound foam? Maybe it's 2 pound you are looking for. If so...

I get my white 2 pound expanded bead from a refrigerator vault building company. They make walk-in vaults, like what a 7-11 store has for drinks and such. They have a warehouse stacked to the ceiling with white and blue/pink foam. Just looking at all that foam makes me drool.

Price (as I remember from 2 years ago) was $18 for 4'x8'x2" for white and $28 for blue/pink. Look under "vaults" in your yellow pages. This one here in Dallas is happy to sell their foam but it's not part of their regular business. Other companies may not want to sell their foam.

Good hunting.
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Oct 12, 2002, 12:02 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,464 Posts
The last time I bought a bunch of foam, I called around the various places listed in the yellow pages under "Plastics-Foam" untill I found a place that could deliever 1 pound foam.

Starfoam here in Fort Worth, Tx actually makes the foam billets in house and can make foam billets down to about .8 lb per cubic foot. When youy ask for 1 lb foam, you will get something between .8 and 1.2, usually.

The weight can make a difference on some types of models. A piece of 1 lb density foam that is 12" x 12" x 1" (1/12th of a cubic foot and about the size of a small to medium size wing) would weigh about 1.33 oz.

The same size piece of 2 lb density foam would weight about 2.66 oz.

For almost all wing construction where the foam is sheeted in some way, the lighter the better.

Just something to keep in mind.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 12, 2002, 01:52 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
I just checked my foam - my white is about 1 pound per cube foot and blue about 2.2 pound per cube foot.
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Oct 12, 2002, 06:07 PM
2thFxr
Sevierville, Tennessee
Joined Jan 2002
779 Posts
Thanks,

I think that I found someone in knoxville that has some.

Bradley
Doc Dyer is offline Find More Posts by Doc Dyer
Old Oct 12, 2002, 07:09 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,926 Posts
My second Zagi was the LE version...I already had a replacement tray and motors so I didn't want the full kit. Only later did I discover that that version had the normall EPP on the leading edge but the EPS foam after that was 2 LB foam. That Zagi was a dog, it was too heavy, climb was horrible. My third Zagi was the THL version, that one has 1 LB foam instead of 2...much lighter, that one flew a lot better.

The foam density does make a noticeable difference.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Oct 13, 2002, 04:24 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Dow Blue Foam - 2" sheets (4' x 8') at Lowes. Anyone know what the weight is? (1 LB OR 2 LB?) I have some but am not sure, it seems light though.
Hawker is offline Find More Posts by Hawker
Last edited by Hawker; Oct 13, 2002 at 04:28 PM.