HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:20 AM
Jupiter ,Florida
Joined Mar 2007
54 Posts
Question
Iofo on "Wild Hawk" by Harbor Freight

Hello to all , I saw on this website somewhere about the harbour freight knock off of the Easy Star and you even provided a coupon so it cost $75 out the door .
I have been itching to start this hobby as I really like tinkering with stuff . And FLYING what a bonus . So thanks to whoever turned me on to this affordable ."for me" Plane ...
I got it together easy and it does look a lot like the Easy star to me.Beginnner .
I just have a couple of questions about it and have looked some and had no luck yet ... Please if you can help? Where can I get another battery? I Haven't even flown it 1 time yet.(Windy) but think it would be good to have an extra . It seems to be a 7 cell one with markings of Ni-MH AA 1300mAh and 8.4 V then the # 06627 or 06G27.. I have looked some on the net for it with no luck . Seems like a pretty powerful battery 1300 mAh compared to what I have seen . Is there another one I could use ? As big or bigger if I can? Also it came with only an AC Charger . I have seen where there are DC one you can use in the field ???
I know this is long but just one more thing . Is there any way to tell what size motor it has? I can't tell from what I can see of it . Just wondered for future tinkering .
For the $75 this thing costs if it flies at all it's worth it to me . I'm pretty excited to try it out . Just waiting for the wind now . Just like Orville and Wilbur was ... Ha!
Thanks for any help you can give me . I will be looking thru this web site a lot I'm sure . It's very interesting to me . Thanks Again , Don
realllybeginner is offline Find More Posts by realllybeginner
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:03 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
you need to look for a battery with a similar plug (jst etc...) 1300mah and 7 cell.

Try bphobbies.com allerc.com and towerhobbies.com

Could be any brushed motor. 280- 370

Buy a cheap $15.00 power inverter. (dc to ac converter) My 175 watt one will power a couple light bulbs, a hot glue gun, box fan on low speed etc... good for the field and nice when the power goes out in the summer (box fan)
http://www.walmart.com/search/search...verter&ic=24_0
P.S. bring a small extention cord so you can charge out of the hot car.

http://www.precisionaerocomposite.co...gory=Airplanes

Check out hcaa0206 I would call these guy's for motor question etc...Probably the importers.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:17 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jan 2007
304 Posts
Your pak sounds like the same one as the multiplex easy star. best place for extra paks: http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...er=12&model=77

These guys provide super fast shipping, although they seem to be out of stock on the KAN cells for your pak. If the physical geometry of your pak is different from the easy star's, you can just order a custom pak from these guys for whatever you need.

Before you fly your wild hawk, you may want to consider using some 3M reinforced extreme packing tape to reinforce some of the weak spots on the plane. It will likely help minimize damage from crashes, and the wild hawk foam I believe is not EPP, so it won't take crashes as well as the Easy Star can.

Some spots to consider:

1. on outside of fuse around the nose and cockpit area. From a video of a crashed Wild Hawk I have seen, it seems like the fuse walls are pretty thin here. You may even want to go a little further and embed some small carbon rod along each side of the fuse from the nose to just under the wing.

2. run a strip of 1" wide reinforced packing tape along the bottom of the trailing and leading edges of the wing and the tail.

3. place a piece of the wide 3M extreme tape on top of the moulded engine cowl foam.

4. run a strip of 1" wide reinforced tape along the bottom center of the fuse all the way to the tail. Then use some cheap 3" wide packing tape and tape the entire bottom of the fuse. (just one layer).

5. Use 3" wide cheap (ie thin) packing tape and tape the leading edges of the main wings and the tips to minimize foam abrasion.

Do update this post to let us know how you do with the Wild Hawk. I'm pretty interested in this and am considering purchasing one at this sale price.

dave mc
davemac2 is offline Find More Posts by davemac2
Old Mar 20, 2007, 01:51 PM
Joined Jan 2007
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac2
Your pak sounds like the same one as the multiplex easy star. best place for extra paks: http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...er=12&model=77
Their packs arnt very "cheap". Looks like normal prices I would pay at a hobby store, plus shipping.
MedicWill is offline Find More Posts by MedicWill
Old Mar 20, 2007, 01:57 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jan 2007
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicWill
Their packs arnt very "cheap". Looks like normal prices I would pay at a hobby store, plus shipping.
Have you ever ordered from them? I have. Their packs are fairly competitive with MY LHS's. You can get a higher capacity pack from them compared to stock packs at the same price almost. Of course to make it worth your while, you are better off ordering 2 or 3 packs at a time.

cheers,

dave mc
davemac2 is offline Find More Posts by davemac2
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2007
175 Posts
I dont need to order from them to see their prices.
MedicWill is offline Find More Posts by MedicWill
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:43 PM
Jupiter ,Florida
Joined Mar 2007
54 Posts
Thanks so much to all for the advice ... I will try to "Beef Up" the weak areas ... I think I saw the same video ..
The whole fusealedge (?SP) seems to "Twist when I use the rudder and airelon .. Is this normal? should I try to stiffen up the fusealedge? I am just itchin to go fly this thing .. They ought to call florida the windy state ..
Was wondering about the motor -what size it is and how to put in a bigger one . I figure at the price I paid it is probabally not the highest quality one ..
All in all I think i should just not get to carried away and just go flying when I can ... Another Battery would be nice thou ..and a faster charger ..maybe a car one .. Thanks again from an excited newbie.. Don
realllybeginner is offline Find More Posts by realllybeginner
Old Mar 22, 2007, 09:46 AM
Chesapeake Beach Md.
Joined Mar 2007
87 Posts
Excited nebie here to. Just finished prepping my Wild Hawk. I have 1 short flight so far under my belt, no mishap until 2nd battery change and drove it into the dirt. No breakage just a crumpled nose. I followed the above advice for taping and filled the small cavity in the nose with spray foam. I now have no twisting and the tail is good to go. From what I have researched the motor is a 380. The plug on the battery is called a small tamiya plug but the LHS did not have them in stock.
I pre-work the stiffness from the rudder and flap hinge by heating the hinge areas slightly and gently forcing them back and forth to the angled stops.
My first ever flight I had the flap turnbuckle set in the nearest hole to the flap and had a hard time not overcorrecting. I have moved it out to the 2nd hole, seems to reduce the travel of flap some. The rudder seems to give excellent travel when set in the closest hole to the fuselage. I bumped up a prev. post , that has some good help if you have not seen it yet.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657884
Littlestar is offline Find More Posts by Littlestar
Old Mar 26, 2007, 05:00 PM
"No" means "Know"!
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
568 Posts
Wild Hawk- impressions

Ok, I've got to chime in with my impression. I found the coupon and picked up this plane from the local HS (that's Hardware Store, not Hobby Shop ) and flew it this weekend. Initially, I thought it was a pretty cheap knockoff of the EasyStar (which it is) with only a medium level of quality. The EPP wings look ok, but the carboard wing rod looks cheesy. The fuselage assemby is mixed- cheap glue that is missing in a couple spots. The elevator and aileron pushrods are mounted well, and the horns look flimsy, but adequate. The EPP hinges are stiff at first, but loosen up reasonbly well. The horizontal stabilizer and elevator are a good size, with adequate throw, but the rudder looks too small. The servos are a bit slow, but seem strong enough to actuate the tail surfaces.

Assembly was a breeze- install the tail with the already attached double sided tape, install the charged battery, center the servos, adjust the clevises and attach to the control surfaces, insert the wing joiner and install the wings, and your ready to go. The wheels aren't really needed if you fly on grass like me.

First flight was a dud- using the center hole on the control horns gave inadequate control. I landed after an aborted circuit around the park and nosed the plane in. Rudder control was almost non-existent. The fuse separated a bit where the glue was light, and the canopy pin came off, but no other real damage.

I changed the clevis position in the control horns, rubber banded the fuse and canopy and launched for a second flight. This plane does not like wind, and it took me bit of time to work my way out of the ground turbulence. Rudder control was improved, but still just barely adequate. After about 20-30 seconds of fighting for altitude, I broke out of the ground turbulence and began to rise. Another 20-30 seconds of full throttle and I was a couple hundred feet up and 500-1000 feet upwind. I cut the throttle to turn around back to the launch area, but I was still rising. Wouldn't you know it, I caught a thermal! In 60 seconds, I had nearly doubled my altitude. Now I'm panicking a little. No flaps, a janky rudder, and I don't really know the handling characteristics or strength of this plane. I don't want to stress the wings too much, and I don't want to spiral out of the thermal. Enventually, I work my way out and back to overhead of my launch area. This was no easy task- the rudder is way too small for precise movements. And this plane floats FOREVER. I actually had to go around twice before I got into the right position to land. I came in hot and forced the plane into a slide. Not optimal, but acceptable.

Next day, with a reglued fuselage gave similar results. This plane thermals at the slightest hint of an updraft. Great, until you have to come down. It's downright SCARY trying to manuever it into the right position to land it.

The good: Inexpensive RTF plane that thermals like crazy. Speed 400 motor and prop combo seems adequate.

The bad: Slow servos, questionable wing rod, stay out of the wind.

The ugly: Rudder way too small- will result in lots of crashes for beginners.

That being said- I bought two more- one to train friends, and one for an aileron conversion. I'll modify the rudder on the one I have now, and see if performance improves.
an85yalie is offline Find More Posts by an85yalie
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2007, 07:51 PM
"No" means "Know"!
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
568 Posts
After looking at the Easy Star Fan site (http://www.mpx-easystar.de/index.php...tpage&Itemid=1) I see that Harbor Freight and SD (Chinese Manufacturer) incorporated many of the mods that flyers have been adding to their EZs:

Wheels for landing on paved surfaces
Larger Rudder (although still too small for my liking)
Better motor cooling.
an85yalie is offline Find More Posts by an85yalie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2007, 08:53 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
For any of you newbies out there that haven't discovered the search engine, there's a longer thread on the Wild Hawk here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight+wild+hawk
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Dec 06, 2007, 11:35 PM
Joined Nov 2007
2 Posts
Wild Hawk Battery's

Realllybeginner Try www.batteryspace.com I found it on a user group checked it out got 2- 8.4 v 1200mah for my Firebird for 20.00 1/2 what others wanted I got 6 now I can fly all day. Good luck
Fly Rat is offline Find More Posts by Fly Rat
Old May 24, 2009, 08:11 AM
Joined Jan 2009
11 Posts
Dear :

For this plane clouds fly (AXN floater Jet) ,we can supply the best price in the world:

More info: http://www.rc-model.cn/802.htm

wellcome to contact me(my name is Leo) for distribute or deal ,I will give you the best price: email/msn: chinarchobby@gmail.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clouds fly(AXN floter jet) is one of our hot sale plane, more you can refer : http://www.rc-model.cn ,thanks.
Newstar is offline Find More Posts by Newstar
Old May 24, 2009, 11:08 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
The battery isn;t the same as the Easy Stars. 7 cells, rather than 6 cells, 1300mah rather than 1200 mah, and a smaller connector: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/161617.asp
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jul 04, 2009, 10:07 AM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
Clouds Fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstar
Dear :

For this plane clouds fly (AXN floater Jet) ,we can supply the best price in the world:

More info: http://www.rc-model.cn/802.htm

wellcome to contact me(my name is Leo) for distribute or deal ,I will give you the best price: email/msn: chinarchobby@gmail.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clouds fly(AXN floter jet) is one of our hot sale plane, more you can refer : http://www.rc-model.cn ,thanks.
That's an unusual name for a plane. I went to the site and watched the video of it flying. It's very fast. Do you have a 4 channel version of it? With the speed it gets having ailerons would be a plus for it.
Russ The Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Russ The Flyer