SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2002, 07:56 PM
Mega Motor Man!!
Richmond, Va
Joined Oct 2002
403 Posts
Super 77 And Zagi....

Got a new Zagi kit waiting to be assembled.. All I can find it the new Super 77.. From what I understand, if I spray it into a cup, and stir it around for a while, the acetone will evaporate and I can use it to join the two wing halves... can also use it the same way to install the spar.. Has anyone had any adverse effects from spraying the wing prior to the tape install?? I read to spray far away and in light coats... Please help.. I'm going to buy a big saw and chip California off the map for making us use this new junk.. THANKS!!!!
SmoothSL is offline Find More Posts by SmoothSL
Last edited by SmoothSL; Oct 11, 2002 at 03:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2002, 08:09 PM
United States, WI, Wausau
Joined May 2002
365 Posts
Ok, i reciently had this problem also... First, look at the hardware store for a smaller bottle of the old 77, it took me a while, but it was there. Also, if you just spray the new stuff from a good distance away, the acetone (i dont know to to spell it) will evaperate (like i said) and all will be well. Just test it on the extra piece first though, peace!
seanpr123 is offline Find More Posts by seanpr123
Old Oct 10, 2002, 08:29 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
Make sure also to look behind the products in front. Most large stores don't rotate their older products forward, so the old stuff is often in back!

-Brett
AirVenture is offline Find More Posts by AirVenture
Old Oct 10, 2002, 08:35 PM
Mega Motor Man!!
Richmond, Va
Joined Oct 2002
403 Posts
I've been all over, Wally World, a few Home Depots, and a couple Lowes.. K-Mart doesn't sell it here.. And all the new stuff.. Wish I would have known a long time ago... Oh well.. Thanks for the info though.....
Old Oct 10, 2002, 09:01 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,987 Posts
Also check the fabric stores like "Joann's", and the craft stores like "Wagner's". I've found it at both places.
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
Old Oct 10, 2002, 09:38 PM
Mega Motor Man!!
Richmond, Va
Joined Oct 2002
403 Posts
Wish me luck, here I go!!!!!

Ugh, this junk is sticky!!! Not sure how it will turn out.. But it's sitting there waiting for me to break it somehow... Anyhow, so far so good.. I did test it once and it was eating it up a little, but the next test proved ok.. So well see.. Would have been a lot easier had I been able to find the right stuff..
Last edited by SmoothSL; Oct 10, 2002 at 10:25 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 09:02 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Why not use epoxy to join the wing halves and install the spar?
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Oct 11, 2002, 10:43 AM
Mega Motor Man!!
Richmond, Va
Joined Oct 2002
403 Posts
I was under the impression that epoxy weighed significantly more than the Super77.... Maybe I'm wrong.. What kind of epoxy should I get, and what should I stay away from.. Thanks....
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:36 PM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
Put together a Zagi THL last week using the new 77 spray. Not a problem - just spray from a distance (2' should do fine, you'll just get the sticky stuff ALL OVER THE PLACE)

It's my 5th Zagi assembly, and I've used 30 min epoxy for all kits to join the wings. However, the THL does have a different foam from the LE & 3C kits, so you should experiment on the jig pieces first. For instance, the EPP section will take household goop, but this burns right through the other foam of the THL. Be careful or you'll end up with a shorter wing - actually, my second THL flew great w/ 1" melted from the roots.

Anyway, good luck in the construction. It may do you some good to use a silicone glue to join the nose and epoxy for the rest, as epoxy shatters when you crash enough.
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:36 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,574 Posts
3M spray on EEP OK! on EPS CAREFUL!

What kind of Zagi did you get? if it's the 3-C and all EPP you are fine, spray away! But if you have any of the others with the EPS leading edge bonded to the EPS (styrofoam) body, then yes, be careful.

Another place I found that has the OLD 3M is Mitchaels craft stores.

CJS
CactusJackSlade is online now Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Oct 11, 2002, 01:20 PM
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Jun 2002
1,191 Posts
I found a few cans of the old stuff in a small local hardware store. They seem to have a slower turnover of inventory and still had a few cans of the good stuff.
Boz
bosley is offline Find More Posts by bosley
Old Oct 11, 2002, 01:23 PM
Mega Motor Man!!
Richmond, Va
Joined Oct 2002
403 Posts
Hey guys, great news.. Went to Michaels craft store and they don't have the old can, but it's a new Purple & Black can.. It mentions on the cap that it contains less than 75% VOC's.. Now before you say this is the wrong one.. I have also seen the same can at Wal-Mart.. The one at wal-mart said it contained acetone, this one with the VOC warning does not contain acetone.. All components are:

Cyclohexane
2 - Methylpentane
Dimethyl Ether
Isobutane
Propane
3 - Methylpentane
2,3 - Dimethylbutane
2,2 - Dimethylbutane
n-hexane and other hexane isomers...

Can someone verify on the old can if this is the same?? Thanks!!!!
Old Oct 11, 2002, 01:28 PM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
Pretty sure that's the old one, as the new one distinctly has acetone as the primary ingredient.
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Oct 11, 2002, 01:48 PM
Mega Motor Man!!
Richmond, Va
Joined Oct 2002
403 Posts
Great, now you guys have something else to look for when you go into the stores.. It distintly says junk about VOC's on the cap.... Good luck!! It comes in both small and big cans.. Both have the VOC warning..
Last edited by SmoothSL; Oct 11, 2002 at 01:50 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 02:16 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Although I historically use S77 for joining winghalves together, a Polyurethene glue called Elmers ProBond works great as well. A little bit on a slightly damp surface will cause the ProBond to foam like crazy and force itself into the foam for quite a ways. Also great stuff for glueing in spars with but you need to be careful about not forgetting to tape over the glued area to prevent the foam from going everywhere. It's sandable, just not much fun to do.

I went on a shopping spree when I found out they were changing the formula. Home Depot in Colorado still has the old stuff on the shelves as of last week. If you hunt around the shelves you can generally find it behind everything else.

Matt
www.yourzagi.com
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl