HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3 Posts
Discussion
Motor Upgrade for Flyzone Cessna 182???

As the title says, I'm trying to find a more powerful non-brushless option for my Flyzone Cessna 182. It comes with a 380 size motor, but it's just not powerful enough. Anyone know of another option for this plane?

Thanks,
---Dan
DanRC30 is offline Find More Posts by DanRC30
Last edited by DanRC30; Mar 19, 2007 at 10:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:41 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3 Posts
Nobody has any info for me on this? Am I in the wrong forum?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:27 AM
EPP Addict
Nashville, TN
Joined Jan 2006
994 Posts
If you want more power without brushless, add a cell (nicad or nimh) or move to 3s lipo and prop down accordingly. Or, change the gear ratio and re-prop if it is not direct drive. You may need a lipo saver to plug into the ESC so you don't draw the battery too far down. Hope that helps!

Plenty of brushless motors that will give it more oomph for little money... check RCHotdeals and Grayson Hobbies for some package (motor/ESC) deals that are affordable.
LuckyDay is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDay
Old Mar 22, 2007, 03:26 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3 Posts
Unfortunately, going brushless is not an option on this bird. The motor is rubber-banded to a plastic cradle. Yes, it's held on by rubberbands... imagine my suprise when I saw that design!

Anyway, I just want to get a more powerful motor. There's no room for an extra battery cell. Someone must've figured something out for this plane! Someone please help??????

My motor is shot due to a hard crash into a pole... lol! I need to replace it anyway....
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:53 AM
Joined Mar 2007
6 Posts
I have the same plane. . . and the same complaint.

The thread titled "New Product - Hobbico® FlyZone Cessna 182 Skylane RTF" discusses swapping the ESC to get some more power. I'm going to try it.

Also, I found some pictures of one converted to brushless and steerable nose grear in the planes for sale on RCUniverse.

I'm still learning to fly and and I could have avoided several crashes if I had some more power to pull through wind gusts.

Good Luck
Finkenb is offline Find More Posts by Finkenb
Old Mar 30, 2007, 01:53 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,518 Posts
If you want to stay with brushed power, the simplest change would be to use a Venom motor. Its a high efficiency motor that is very popular with the PZ J3 Cub and SuperDecathlon flyers. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUM8&P=7

I would try modifying the plane to take one of the inexpensive TowerPro outrunner brushless motors. E-flite makes a great mounting system. One piece attaches to the firewall and creates "stick" mount. The other piece mounts a flanged motor to the stick.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1915
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1916
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:11 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo L

I would try modifying the plane to take one of the inexpensive TowerPro outrunner brushless motors. E-flite makes a great mounting system. One piece attaches to the firewall and creates "stick" mount. The other piece mounts a flanged motor to the stick.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1915
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1916
This is high-quality advice. Thanks!
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:50 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
I'm going to try a slo-max in mine along with a Pixie esc and a Berg rx.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Dec 10, 2007, 05:41 PM
Marseille, France
Joined Apr 2002
169 Posts
This is my set up for my hobbico cessna 182 skylane:

Motor: e-flite 450 outrunner 890 kv

esc: phoenix 25 A

Battery: 3 cell- 2100mah

prop : apc 9 x6 EP

Results: With this set up, the flyzone cessna flies awsome !!!. The motor pulls 16 A - 165 watts at full throttle compared to 8A - 83 watts with the stock set up, which is not enough for a 1.25 lb plane.
Hasina75 is offline Find More Posts by Hasina75
Last edited by Hasina75; Dec 21, 2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:53 PM
Joined Dec 2007
218 Posts
how did you accomplish this setup? was everything a drop in replacement?
skimstr is offline Find More Posts by skimstr
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:38 PM
Marseille, France
Joined Apr 2002
169 Posts
I did some calculations before doing the upgrade. The stock cessna 182 weights about 1,25 lb and the stock 380 motor provides only 78 to 84 watts of power at full throttle, which is not enough for a 1.25 lb-plane.
You have to give it full throttle to maintain level flight and it is not fun.

As a rule of thumb, a motor should provide 135 to 165 watts of power to make a 1.25 lb- model fly and meet your expectations. So, the E-flite 450 size outrunner motor powered by a 3 cell-lipo with an APC 9x6 EP prop is the right choice for me. This motor can be pushed from 118 watts to 200watts. With this set up, my wattmeter reads about 165 watts at full throttle, which is good enough for me to fly the cessna. I can cruise at half throttle and fly for about 14 to 17 minutes. But, if I push it a little bit to impress my buddy, the flight time will be around 9 to 12 minutes. Usually, I land the plane before the BEC shuts off the motor.

I had to enlarge the battery bay so that any rectangular shape-3 cell lipo pack can fit in. Also, the 450 size-brushless motor is mounted on a Eflite stick mount, which is attached to the firewall.
Hasina75 is offline Find More Posts by Hasina75
Last edited by Hasina75; Dec 21, 2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2008, 10:51 PM
Permanently Signed Off.
Joined Nov 2007
717 Posts
I went the e-flite park 400 970Kv. You can seem my post here, #170
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...12#post9314247

Haven't flown her yet, hoping I got enough power.
nwjt is offline Find More Posts by nwjt
Old Apr 05, 2008, 10:41 PM
Hemet, California
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Mar 2005
1,440 Posts
I've got one for sale on the elec airplane section...just posted it today.

Ken
kctrading
kctrading is offline Find More Posts by kctrading
Old Apr 06, 2008, 05:42 AM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
I picked up an Ultrfly Frio E 10/10 and an Apollo 12 speed control from Tower on Clearance. I removed the stock mount and installed the new motor using some spacers to get the clearance just right, enlarged the battery bay to fit a Flightpower 1345 mah 3 cell lipo. I'm running an APC 8x6 e prop.The motor mods along with my steerable nose gear mod makes this a totally different plane. The cool part about the modifications is the plane looks stock, but the performance is worlds better.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
Old Oct 04, 2009, 08:22 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRC30
Unfortunately, going brushless is not an option on this bird. The motor is rubber-banded to a plastic cradle. Yes, it's held on by rubberbands... imagine my suprise when I saw that design!

Anyway, I just want to get a more powerful motor. There's no room for an extra battery cell. Someone must've figured something out for this plane! Someone please help??????

My motor is shot due to a hard crash into a pole... lol! I need to replace it anyway....
Are we talking about the same plane. I have a brand new FZ Cessna 182. It comes stock with a brushless motor designed to run on a 3W lipo battery. Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for motor upgrades. Mine flies just fine with the stock motor.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw