Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 18, 2007, 07:30 PM
seymour indiana
Joined Nov 2006
64 Posts
Discussion
what is the best beginner rc airplane?

hey everyone I am looking for a cheap RTF rc airplane that flys good. this is for one of my cousins. he wants to get into rc flying. Also the plane could be an ARF and if so what would be a good radio he could use for future planes. He needs it to be durable also. THANX
dktflyer is offline Find More Posts by dktflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2007, 07:32 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...08&postcount=4

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Mar 20, 2007, 03:47 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,195 Posts
Get the Multiplex Easy Start RTF or ARF.

If you get the ARF, the Spektrum DX6 is a good package for this type of plane.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:05 AM
Joined Mar 2007
52 Posts
BTW, everyone can't fly easy star RTF plane because it's RC frequencies are not allowed in all countries. Here in Estonia we have to use 35 and 40MHz, easy star from hobby-lobby is something 75MHz and I didn't find any 35MHz
tola555 is offline Find More Posts by tola555
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:27 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,195 Posts
tola555,

The question was from a person in the U.S. so this is not a concern.

I am sure if the Easy Star RTF is sold in Estonia it will be sold with a locally legal radio frequency when purchased from a local supplier.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 09:21 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1 Posts
any changes/updates/suggestions?

I am new to this forum. My son has an obsession with planes and flying and really wants an rc plane. I am thinking of getting him one for Christmas. I've been doing lots of research and this forum has been wonderful.

I was just wondering if there are any updates to the suggestions for the best beginner planes. I want to start with an RTF model.

From the suggestions, I have it narrowed down to the Easystart RTF, Wing Dragon or Super Cub.

My son is really into things being "realistic looking". Of the 3 choices above, the Super Cub probably looks the most realistic. The Super Cub's newest version has "anti-crash technology"

However, I want the best overall plane. There are 2 models of the Wing Dragon, the newest model "always flying" has free replacement parts for a year.

Then there is the Easystar RTF that looks great too.

Any comments or suggestions? I have a friend who flies rc planes so I am hoping to get my son some good training instruction to get him started. Thanks to all.
stanwclan is offline Find More Posts by stanwclan
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:14 AM
Norfolk, MA
Joined Nov 2008
77 Posts
The Super Cub is very easy to fly, parts are inexpensive/readily available, it is easy to repair and looks pretty good.

You can also get the x-port modules which extend the fun a bit for anyone; drop module (toy bomb or parachute dude), combat module (can electronically dogfight with another plane) and the LED light module (for fun flying at dusk).

Another thought would be to purchase a PC flight simulator. I like Clearview ($39 for life). It is easy to load/run and there are a lot of planes available. It will save you money in the long run.
fishingdan is offline Find More Posts by fishingdan
Old Oct 30, 2009, 01:26 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,195 Posts
Any of the 3 your mentioned would be good choices. I think the Super Cub will make him happy. Get it at a local hobby store so you know where to go for parts.

I would suggest a second battery pack and 2 spare props. You will end up buying them anyway, so you might as well get them now and be properly outfitted from the start.

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC FLIGHT
Downloadable PDF
http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/ev...ng-e-power.pdf

Down load this e-book as well.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 01:46 PM
Texas Buzzard
McAllen,Texas
Joined Mar 2004
1,034 Posts
Easy Star

If your winds are less than 10 mph GET AN EASY STAR.

BUT - enlarge the movable rudder . Add on more rudder so it is 150%
of the original size. Balance as per instructions.
Texas Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Texas Buzzard
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:01 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2011
91 Posts
Best beginner RC airplane:

In my opinion the best RC airplane to start with is the Wild Hawk.
Here it is-
http://www.nitroplanes.com/rtfwiha54el3.html

This aircraft is basically an EasyStar copy; however it is a lot more affordable with the same airframe quality and flight characteristics. The aircraft comes RTF for 80 US dollars, with the addition of shipping the final price is around $100.

The only part that needs assembled is the tail, and it already has double sided tape applied to the individual pieces. The supplied electronics are also great; there is no need to replace the Rx or Tx in the aircraft. Range on the stock TX is around 3,000ft.

The aircraft can easily stay airborne for 20min as well, and with careful throttle management I have kept my WildHawk airborne for more than 30min on the stock 1,300mAh battery.
-All of the members of my club have the WildHawk, and everybody is happy with it. It may just be luck, but no body has had a QC issue at my club, they all fly great.

Overall aircraft performance + and –

Pluses+

*Cruise speed = 15-20mph (smooth slow speed for beginner pilots)
*Flight time~20min (30min with conservative power/glide)
*Aircraft is stable and self leveling
*Large wingspan and bright colors make it easy to see, (max altitude I have taken it is 2,800ft)
*Aircraft wings are removable for easy transportation.
*The propeller is located on top of the aircraft, keeping it save from hard landings.
*The stock motor supplies a lot of power.
*Uses a Ni-MH battery (Good for a first airplane, considering Lipo batteries require special chargers and are more prone to start fires if not handled properly)

Minuses-
*Aircraft NEEDS weight added to the nose to gain the best performance. The Center of Gravity should be directly in the middle of the wing spar.

*Low G force limits, can’t handle abrupt G loads without flexing or breaking wings.

*The supplied charger is rubbish; I don’t recommend charging the battery with it. It is a good idea to invest in a good charger that will work for Ni-MH’s

PS- THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: The channel set up on the aircraft is not correct for the 27MhZ channel listing system. For example a WildHawk aircraft Tx with 27.145MhZ is listed as channel 08, however it is really channel 04.
Check this web page for proper channel-frequency assignment; this is especially important if flying at a club with other 27Mhz aircraft.
http://radiocontrol.wikia.com/wiki/27_MHz

Good luck, and happy flying!
Rogue_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Rogue_Pilot
Last edited by Rogue_Pilot; Jul 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling errer
Old Jul 29, 2011, 04:14 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2011
301 Posts
People also love the HobbyZone Champ as a first airplane. It's much like the Super Cub except smaller. It has the same easy flight characteristics, and you can get everything you need to fly in one box for less than $100. I've never flown one, but there are so many glowing reviews of it on this and other forums that it obviously has a huge following.

The nice thing about either the HobbyZone Champ or the Super Cub is that most local hobby stores have spare parts for either, so if something breaks you don't need to order something and wait for delivery. (And many of the parts are easy to fix with tape or glue.)
WombatControl is offline Find More Posts by WombatControl
Old Jul 29, 2011, 04:18 PM
Spain, Aragón, Huesca
Joined Apr 2011
135 Posts
+1 for the Hobbyzone Champ. Awesome little plane !!!
artisan23 is offline Find More Posts by artisan23
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:59 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
You guys understand that the OP started this thread in 2007? :P
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:36 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
You guys understand that the OP started this thread in 2007? :P
Bring back old threads from years ago and people will complain. Start a new thread when there is already 40000 of the same threads and people will complain. New folks can't get a break on internet forums......
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:49 PM
RC Newb/Gorilla Glue User
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
I know this beginner loves his (very durable/easily reparable) Champ.
WingNut64 is online now Find More Posts by WingNut64