Old Oct 10, 2002, 12:31 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Discussion
A Quiz For My Intelligent Friends

Brain Teaser Quiz
(1) There's one "sport" in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends. What is it?
>
(2) What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?
>
(3) Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?
>
(4) Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?
>
(5) What fruit has its seeds on the outside?
>
(6) In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?
>
(7) Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw." They are all common. Name two of them.
>
(8) There are fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name half of them?
>
(9) Where are the lakes that are referred to in the "Los Angeles Lakers?"
>
(10) There are seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. Taking a base on balls-a walk-is one way. Name the other six.
>
(11) It's the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh. What is it?
>
(12) Name six or more things that you can wear on your feet that begin with the letter "S."
>
Scroll down for the answers. Don't cheat! <--
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> "Answers To Quiz"
>
>
> 1. Boxing.
>
> 2. Niagara Falls. The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.
>
> 3. Asparagus and rhubarb.
>
> 4. Baseball.
>
> 5. Strawberry.
>
> 6. The pear grew inside the bottle. The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the whole growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.
> 7. Dwarf, dwell, and dwindle.
>
> 8. Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.
> 9. In Minnesota. The team was originally known as the Minneapolis Lakers and kept the name when they moved west.
>
> 10. Batter hit by a pitch; passed ball; catcher interference; catcher drops third strike; fielder's choice; and being designated as a pinch runner.
>
> 11. Lettuce.
>
> 12. Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, snowshoes,
> stockings.
>
> ...Well, now you know! Feel any smarter?
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Oct 10, 2002, 12:45 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
4. Cricket and baseball. Heck, cricket even has penalty runs.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Last edited by rpage53; Oct 10, 2002 at 01:47 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 02:23 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,690 Posts
Gack....

1) Boxing? I'm no sports buff, but I'd assume that in a KO, the loser knows he's been defeated, as well as the winner knowing he's won. Even the spectators seem to be able to figure it out before an announcement is made.

2) I guess I'm stupid, but how are Niagara falls moving backwards? If the rim is dropping, the falls are shrinking, not reversing.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Oct 10, 2002, 04:53 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
2) I guess I'm stupid, but how are Niagara falls moving backwards? If the rim is dropping, the falls are shrinking, not reversing.

The land behind them are being eroded away and the falls are moving backwards. I saw this on discovery channel a few weeks ago...
Old Oct 10, 2002, 06:18 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,841 Posts
Re: A Quiz For My Intelligent Friends

(11) It's the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh. What is it?
>
(
> 11. Lettuce.
> ...Well, now you know! Feel any smarter? [/B][/QUOTE]How about banana for # 11?
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Oct 10, 2002, 07:08 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
I grew up by Niagara Falls.
Because of a hard cap rock the falls have moved away from Lake Ontario for thousands of years without getting particularly lower or wider. The present location is at a bend that could have resulted in a long rapids at the American side, but the Army Corp of Engineers fixed that.
At some point they will drain Lake Erie.

And we have a few Kiwi growers here in Victoria. They grow kiwis inside the bottle. (the fruit not NZ'ers).

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Last edited by rpage53; Oct 10, 2002 at 07:16 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 08:15 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,524 Posts
1. boxing, if there's a KO the contest HAS ended

11. banana, sometimes sold dried (processed)
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Oct 10, 2002, 09:54 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Now remember folks, I never claimed to be intelligent, it was you all that are the smart ones!!
Don
Old Oct 11, 2002, 02:12 AM
Oxford, MS
Joined Apr 2002
1,134 Posts
How about Paintball for #1? Only the refs keep score and issue penalties. In fact people don't even know the score usually till about 10 minutes after the game sometimes longer. I guess you'd have to consider paintball a sport at least it's been on ESPN.

For #5 how about passion fruit? All the seeds/fruit is on the outside.

For #12 add one more for Sabo as footwear. Also responsible for the word sabotage when peasents threw their wooden shoes called Sabo into the machines. Also Silver since women wear rings on their toes. Or maybe Sterile Gauss if their foot got cut. Or Scholze (sp?) footpads?

For #7 perhaps Dwelling: as in a persons house or home. Vs. to dwell on something or the be dwelling over something.
Hopperfly22 is offline Find More Posts by Hopperfly22
Old Oct 11, 2002, 09:30 AM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
There is processed banana baby food, but no processed
lettuce baby food.

#1 could also be ice skating, platform diving, etc.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Last edited by DNA; Oct 11, 2002 at 09:50 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 10:52 AM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
I get my lettuce all chopped up in neat squares along with several other vegatables that have all been washed in some sort of 'fruit fresh' and placed in a bag labled "Fresh Salad." Does that count as processed lettuce?
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:18 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,310 Posts
Brain Teaser Quiz
(1) There's one "sport" in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends. What is it?
Cannot honestly answer this one as I saw the answer when copying and pasting the questions

>
(2) What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?
Mount Rushmore

>
(3) Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

Rhubarb, Asparagus

(4) Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?

Baseball??

>
(5) What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

Strawberry

(6) In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

Dehydrated before being squeezed in there?

>
(7) Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw." They are all common. Name two of them.

Dwarf, dwindling,

(8) There are fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name half of them?

Full stop, comma, colon, semi colon, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation mark

(9) Where are the lakes that are referred to in the "Los Angeles Lakers?"
no idea

(10) There are seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. Taking a base on balls-a walk-is one way. Name the other six.
absolutely no idea - WAG would be if he is hit with the ball, if the pitcher completely misses the catcher and if there is an over throw or misfield of some type

mustard and cress?

(12) Name six or more things that you can wear on your feet that begin with the letter "S."
shoes, skis, skates, socks, stockings, sandals, stilletoes, snowshoes, scent ,

How'd I do Don?

Leccy
leccyflyer is online now Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:23 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Cullen
How'd I do Don?
I think you failed because the answers are in the first post.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:28 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,310 Posts
Re: Gack....

Quote:
Originally posted by Megowcoupe

I'm a bit embarrassed about not thinking of Niagara Falls

AFAIK pretty much all waterfalls retreat Sam, that's how they end up with a gorge in front of them. They tend to be undercut in the plunge pool and the rock face collapses.

I'd imagine that Mount Rushmore monument is retreating as well though. Do they have to recut the Presidents' features every now and again??

I don't know about baseball but the bowling side in cricket can be either defensive or offensive, as can the batting side. So to me cricket wouldn't fit the definition.

Good quiz Don.
leccyflyer is online now Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:31 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Cullen

How'd I do Don?

Leccy
Better than I did Brian, better than I did...
Don