HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2007, 06:30 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Discussion
Cessna 182 Maiden Video on the Website.

Have only been able to fly once since November so with all the planes to maiden it looked like a great day with wind when I left for the field blowing 8 mph. So when I get to the field the big flag is standing straight out and according to the airport wind is now 12mph and gusting! Not my idea of the best maiden conditions but decided to fly anyway. First up the Hyperion Piper Cub 10e. Got it airborne and immediately it was obvious there is no way this flys anything like scale speeds. Tried to slow it down and on the first downwind turn the cub went into a tip stall death spiral and crashed destroying the plane back to the wing. Not worth repairing! One down and one to go...... Set Cessna on the rough parking lot and on ROG the flimsy front LG tried to collapse and chipped both blades of the prop. It wasn't badly out of balance so flew it anyway. Plane has the semi-symmetrical wing and is quite aerobatic. The flaps are very effective. Plane needs more down thrust as it wants to go into steep climb under full power. on landing the front gear again tried to collapse causing the plane to nose over. You can hear the wind in the video. Jackie is about as rusty as I am and missed most of the loops and all the rolls. I forgot to warn her when I applied full power as the plane accelerates like a 3D model. Cessna details and video on the website. www.boomerseflight.com Regardless it was nice to get on the sticks again. Hope to maiden more tomorrow but will depend on the wind gods!
As usuall comments welcome.............
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:04 PM
All electric, all the time!
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
What was the brand is the Cessna?

Thanks - Chris
QuietRCFly is offline Find More Posts by QuietRCFly
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:20 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRCFly
What was the brand is the Cessna?

Thanks - Chris
This one:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLUS4&P=7
Reinforced LG with carbon rod CAed and wrapped to original gear. Now perfect. Still will dampen landing shock. Added some downthrust. With a more normal motor the original downthrust would probably be OK but my geared Himax 4200 develops 42+ oz thrust or about double what the plane weighs!
boomer
Old Mar 18, 2007, 07:09 AM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
boomer,
As always it looks great! From watching your vids it looks like you always get in the air real quick for a second right after take off I thought you were going lose it. Great flying boomer.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Mar 18, 2007, 01:05 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybuster
boomer,
As always it looks great! From watching your vids it looks like you always get in the air real quick for a second right after take off I thought you were going lose it. Great flying boomer.
Mike
Mike,
My theory is scale ROG's are for after the plane is flying well and trimmed out. Of course flying the maiden in 12+mph winds doesn't really lend itself to trimming out the plane! I like to get well clear of the ground ASAP and so I carefully check out the plane before maiden for any misalignment. I figure I can react fast enough to correct any excessive torque problems on ROG. Only once has that not worked well for me. A few years ago I did a scratch built I had overpowered about 3 to 1 and on full power ROG maiden the plane and the prop rotated at about the same speed in opposite directions totally destroying the plane before I could get the power killed. Wish I had had a video of that one!
boomer
Old Mar 18, 2007, 04:32 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Well so much for any maidens today! It's raining AGAIN!
boomer