Old Mar 16, 2007, 02:57 PM
Chesapeake Beach Md.
Joined Mar 2007
87 Posts
Discussion
Beginner says hello and Cheap plane

Thanks to everyone for a great site. I have spent three weeks reading up on
a starter plane for myself. I ordered a Easy Star from Tower a few days ago,
since the two LHS's near me did not have a clue what I was asking for, much less have one in stock. I did check out all of thier trainers, but found nothing similar to the ES.
Well, yesterday I was in a Harbor Freight tool store and happened to see a coupon for a plane and figured I would check it out, since I was there.
I am in the process of putting one of the three together now, will use it as a trainer, before the EStar gets here next week. I will say that for the price of this plane, it was worth a impulse buy. I ran a search here for info and not much to go on, but this is a good thread about it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight+easy+star

If needed here is the coupon from HF for the plane
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...020-A-2212.pdf

Hope this helps some of the guys looking for a cheap RTF, but remember, I'm new to.
Littlestar is offline Find More Posts by Littlestar
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2007, 04:47 PM
Watch out for that TREE!
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
1,458 Posts
Hello Littlestar,

Welcome to RCG and good luck with the plane. Seems like a deal for the price.

John
GD5015 is offline Find More Posts by GD5015
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:17 PM
Chesapeake Beach Md.
Joined Mar 2007
87 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.

I found a 2nd video of the plane in flight, not sure if it is stock, but it looks and sounds to be flown on a fairly windy day. Now, if the rain would just stop.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...k+gopher&hl=en
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:29 AM
Watch out for that TREE!
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
1,458 Posts
It seems to fly quite nice and handle a bit of wind. Climbed out with authority on hand launch. You may have quite a steal there if the quality holds up.

Good luck and good flying,

John
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:59 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,182 Posts
Looks OK for $50. 3 channel plane? How bad could it be? You will want a DC field charger so you can charge and fly at the field.

The ABS body will not likely be as durable as the Elapor foam, but you never know.

Looks like fun.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 18, 2007, 09:49 AM
Chesapeake Beach Md.
Joined Mar 2007
87 Posts
Just finished putting the plane together this morning and fly out the door into the yard for a quick glide check? I will nominate myself for this years DARWIN award.
It's a fairly windless morning, but I live a block off the bay, and a strong breeze can come in at a blink of an eye. So I dart toss the Wild Hawk across the yard thinking she will just glide down to ground in 10-20 yds that I have read about, if all is good.
I stand and watch as the plane just glides away,level to the ground about 23-30 yards now and catches a breeze and starts going higher, Oh Man, can't turn the radio on, its inside, so I.m starting to think it's gone before I even get to fly her. Fortunatly it turned towards a hill towrds the back yard and landed. After that I thinking I need to rethink the size of field for its maiden voyage. Guess I'm just a wuss?
At my age maybe this is to much excitement for me. The radio and plane will be on for the next glide.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2007
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlestar
After that I thinking I need to rethink the size of field for its maiden voyage.
You definitely want plenty of space for your maiden, but the real lesson here is: don't have the plane in the air without a way to access its control surfaces.

Funny story, though--I can picture your face!
ratb is offline Find More Posts by ratb
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:05 AM
Chesapeake Beach Md.
Joined Mar 2007
87 Posts
Thanks for the tip on a charger. Ordered a cheap lipo 2-4 balancer NIMH combo with power supply for 70 bucks. Should keep me going for awhile?
Just gave 1 of the 3 Wild Hawks to a freind, after expressing a big interest. His 60th is this week so made a fantastic gift.
And after my test glide incident, having a freind along, sure would calm my nerves down, but I get a feeling, two newbies might be trouble?

I can post pics of the Wild Hawk, if anyone is interested. Just let me know and at that point I will try and figure out how.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:15 PM
Watch out for that TREE!
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
1,458 Posts
Littlestar,

I been in the OH SH*T! situations, it all seems such a good idea when you start. What could go wrong, right?
I got a good chuckle out of that this morning. Hope the maiden goes well. Let us know.

John
Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:10 PM
Chesapeake Beach Md.
Joined Mar 2007
87 Posts
GD5015
exactly

I been in the OH SH*T! situations, it all seems such a good idea when you start. What could go wrong, right? Dang, thats for sure

Like when I got home and showed my usually mild tempered, loving wife, of 25yrs. what a great deal I got on these planes

Good thing I gave one away, cause I sure did not have the nerve to tell her I had the Easy Star on order.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:39 PM
United States, TX, Conroe
Joined Jan 2007
34 Posts
Hey guys, my wife bought me one of the wild hawks 'bout a month and a half ago, and I tell ya, I've put some bumps and bruises on her, and she keeps coming back for more! I posted a few vids on google. Search for 'homesick gopher'. One of vid links on on the thread already. As far as survivability goes, it's pretty good. I've broken a wing in half, broke the nose off, tail feathers....you get the idea. Having said all that, I had her flying again in less than an hour, and she puts up with it. And she does fly nice. (I live on the texas coast, and if you've got winds less than 15 knots, it's "calm" lol) I've recently put a cvs camera in 'er, and have taken some really nice vids, but for whatever reason, I can't use movie maker to edit them (the cvs requires DIVX). But that's another post...One thing, the hings aren't as good as the multiplex hinges (I just built a minimag), so I've had to replace those. Other than that, she's a beaut! ESPECIALLY for the amount of money you've got to spend. Have Fun with 'er, she can take it!
lestat210 is offline Find More Posts by lestat210
Old Mar 19, 2007, 02:30 PM
Chesapeake Beach Md.
Joined Mar 2007
87 Posts
lestat210
thanks much for posting your videos. I have watched them many times, trying to get a feel for how the plane flies. You did a great job in all areas. As for the Wild hawk,
Its gonna be my starter plane. I mean, heck, for the price its perfect, cause every post above for beginners states-Wait for a calm day cause your gonna WRECK it, and if you fly in wind your gonna Wreck it-. So flat out, I am gonna wreck it. But I got every type of tape and glue packed and ready to go with me for my first flight. First sign of 10 and under wind forcast and I.m on my way to wreck,errr I mean fly it.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 03:33 PM
United States, TX, Conroe
Joined Jan 2007
34 Posts
littlestar, good luck with your maiden. Coupla things to look for in thinking back. Check to make sure that your horizontal stabilizer is parallel with your main wings. My fuselage had a tendancy to 'twist' a little bit, and she'd fly a little different until I 'untwisted' it. Also, the double-sided tape that holds your tail together can be a little suspect; check for security before every flight. Also, are you gonna leave the wheels on? If not, make sure you tape the bottom of the fuse to protect it. I'm sure you have already thought of this stuff, but if not...I hope it helps. Oh, you mentioned that this is your starter plane. If you haven't flown before, have you been working on a flight simulator? FMS is free, and may not be the best graphically, but for model orientation, it works WONDERS! Good Luck, and keep us posted!

By the way, she was flown in the vids completely stock....still is, and I still enjoy 'er!!
lestat210 is offline Find More Posts by lestat210
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:44 AM
Chesapeake Beach Md.
Joined Mar 2007
87 Posts
lestat210, thanks for the great tips. All have been done in in one form or another.
Got a chance to fly her this morning and all went really well till the end.
Found a park, empty, surronded by large groth trees. A littly windy, but tried to stay below the tree line and just cruised around the large field @ 40-60 ft up. Alittle touchy with the throttle slide but got it worked out enough that no crashed plane, but far from smooth flying. Good on my first battery for about fifteen minutes. Pop the secound battery in and start the same scene, but feeling a little more relaxed and flying a little higher, and faster, and then it happened. Kinda looked like the scene in the video where the plane just looped and headed straight to ground, nose first. Like I had no control and could just watch in slow motion. after the plane hit, I started to walk towards it and looked at my transmitter and the red light was staedy on? Dang, I just put fresh alks. in it and maybe had 30 minutes tops on them. Get to the plane and see all flaps in a set position, not returned to neutral, hit the throttle and she is dead? I must have had everything but the kitchen sink and a spare set of AA batteries with me. Had to pack it up and headed back. I figured for sure the batteries in the radio went out but I replaced them and the red light is still on, and no signal to the servo's or controller. Need to look into it.
On a side note. The crash crumpled the nose on the outer sides forward of the battery compartment. I am thinking of reinforcing this forward cavity with spray expandable foam, filling the whole space and making it solid.
Thanks again for the great tips.

?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 03:04 PM
Chesapeake Beach Md.
Joined Mar 2007
87 Posts
Update, took the plane back to HF and they exchanged it, no ?'s asked.
I think I toasted the speed control. Probably due to my eratic throttle trying to fly the plane in tight quarters. There is no public park around large enough that I feel I can fly safely, close by. Got a freind of a freind, yep I know, that has a large farm, so its my next step.