HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:16 AM
Keep 'em Flying!
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Sep 2003
1,388 Posts
Discussion
New Club in Central Florida

After Seeing, Hearing and Reading about all the loss of clubs and internal conflicts I am starting a new thread. This thread is open to anyone who flies r/c planes in the central fl area. I am suggesting a merge of club members, defunct club members, people thinking of joining a club. This forum is to help organize thoughts, get suggestions and get together. It is meant to positive and not bring up issues or problems of other clubs. It is a new thread! We need some space and we need it to be permanant! Too much development has lead to a major threat on the future of our hobby.
I will get the ball rolling....... I heard a rumour that there is active discussion with the city of Orlando to get a permanant field. Anyone heard or know of this? Lets get this thread going and get our A$% a new field! I am tired of reading the AMA success stories of new fields in Iowa or Montana. Its our turn!!
Blacksheepthree is offline Find More Posts by Blacksheepthree
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2007, 05:06 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
Pete,
From what I've heard, problems can and do arise in a "Club". The key is to have a "Facility". The difference is that there are no club meetings, no votes, no board, no politics and no required labor. The "dictator" for lack of a better description, decides everything. He is the legislative, executive and judicial branch all in one. If he is a fair and level headed person, it is the perfect place to fly.
Phillip
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa
Old Mar 16, 2007, 06:16 PM
Keep 'em Flying!
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Sep 2003
1,388 Posts
I have seen that work in other "clubs". Right now my main concern is to get a serious size of property 75 acres or a smaller property backed up against a property that can't be developed (like wetlands). We lost r/c world and other clubs are on the way. It would be a great to know we have a spot that will be there for a longtime for us to enjoy. If the city/county can back it even better.
Blacksheepthree is offline Find More Posts by Blacksheepthree
Old Mar 17, 2007, 08:30 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,714 Posts
You have my support.

Shawn
~SnApRoLl is offline Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
Old Mar 18, 2007, 08:01 PM
Team Broke
Orlando/ Winter Garden, FL
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Interesting !

Jim
fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by fishdeth
Old Mar 29, 2007, 03:43 PM
What, Me Worry?
United States, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
251 Posts
Club Membership

Sure is quiet in here. So I thought maybe I'd stir things up a bit.

From reading posts in several club threads, as well as my discussions with other flyers, it seems that there are quite a few people who belong to more than one R/C club. Some belong to three!!

My question: Why?? I know I'm a bit slow, but I can only fly one airplane at a time. Do you not volunteer your time to help run one particular club or to help maintain one particular club field? Seems like you wouldn't have time if you're traveling around to fly at other club fields. Are you cheating on your primary club when you go to spend time at the others?

It's a free country, but why clog up the rosters at several clubs and shut out flyers who are trying to join just one club? Almost every club in the Orlando area has a cap on membership right now.

So why do folks join several clubs at once?
edbu1 is offline Find More Posts by edbu1
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:12 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Jul 2004
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbu1
Sure is quiet in here. So I thought maybe I'd stir things up a bit.

From reading posts in several club threads, as well as my discussions with other flyers, it seems that there are quite a few people who belong to more than one R/C club. Some belong to three!!

My question: Why?? I know I'm a bit slow, but I can only fly one airplane at a time. Do you not volunteer your time to help run one particular club or to help maintain one particular club field? Seems like you wouldn't have time if you're traveling around to fly at other club fields. Are you cheating on your primary club when you go to spend time at the others?

It's a free country, but why clog up the rosters at several clubs and shut out flyers who are trying to join just one club? Almost every club in the Orlando area has a cap on membership right now.

So why do folks join several clubs at once?

There are a lot of reasons to belong to more than one club.

The club closest to your house might only have room to safely fly only part of your planes, so you join the 2nd club with more room.

One club the sun is in your eyes in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

Plus if you fly at only one place you tend to stagnate in your development in the hobby with the limited info available.

Some planes like grass runways, others need pavement.

Plus it's nice to fly with different people every now and then, there's a lot of good people at every club.

You don't have to devote all your efforts to one place, a little time helping out at each club benifts more people.

Carl
3 club member used to be 4
TEKE is offline Find More Posts by TEKE
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:26 PM
Orlando, Florida
Joined Jun 2005
500 Posts
Well said Carl!
SeaLance is offline Find More Posts by SeaLance