HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2002, 09:31 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Gym-E, component weights

Just got my Gym-E kit, but haven't started building yet. Started weighing the components before starting construction.

The CF boom weighs 18.3g. This seems a bit heavy for this type of CF rod for such a small plane. Is this boom overkill?

I weighed the leading and trailing edge dowels and found that the two trailing edge dowels differed in weight considerably. One was 2.3g and the other 3.4g. I checked the weight several times to make sure there was no measurement error. Seems like a lot of difference for dowels of the same size. Should I use the heavier one for the center section (heavier = stronger?)?

How many of you have cut holes in the tail balsa to lighten them? My HLG has a V-tail of similar size and has quite large holes in both the fixed and moving surfaces, and it takes quite high forces on launch without any problem.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2002, 09:50 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
The tails and dowels in my Gym-E kit were very light, so I left them alone. I did replace the boom with a 5/16 balsa dowel, but did this knowing it would eliminate the crashworthyness of the fuselage. I thought it was needed to fly in my 60x80 backyard, but as quickly as this thing turns around, it really wasn't needed. Its a dream to fly.
Marcus
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old Oct 10, 2002, 02:21 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Good idea to use the heavier wing dowel on the center section. Yes the boom is overkill. No, it's not an issue.

I know Martin (Dreamer) punched holes in his tail surfaces - you can see that in the pick of his Gym-E in his avatar. However, his is the only one of many I've seen around here (including Todd's personal one) that way.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Oct 10, 2002, 04:38 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Why I did it that way? I'll give you my best Homer Simpson "I 'unno". Really, I don't remember, as the weight savings with just those few holes would be minimal. It looks cool though, doesn't it?

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Oct 10, 2002, 06:11 AM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
Yes, it does look cool. I wish I had done that.

Martin, how did you cut them? Did you use a compass/circle cutter or something else?
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old Oct 10, 2002, 06:53 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I used a compass cutter. I'm glad to know I'm unique

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter