HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:37 AM
United States, IA, Marion
Joined Sep 2006
243 Posts
Discussion
Can't get Esky (CP2) TX to work with simulator

Actually, I can't even get it working with with PPM Thermometer, WinScope, anything....

I made my cable yesterday (triple checked it with a voltmeter) with the SVideo on one end and the mono audio plus on the other end.

I installed PPJoy and SmartProtoPlus.

Followed the install directions.

I never got the "loud audio sound when connecting my transmitter" and when I move the sticks, PPM Thermometer and WinScope aren't registering any signal.

My microphone jack on my laptop is NOT muted.

I am just trying to get this (initially) working with FMS.

Any thoughts or other things to check?
nickbuol is offline Find More Posts by nickbuol
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:14 AM
United States, NC, Dobson
Joined Jan 2007
1,217 Posts
Try takeing a look at this site.

http://www.urbanastronomer.com/bladecp/cable/
RCHSF is offline Find More Posts by RCHSF
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:22 PM
Joined Jul 2006
294 Posts
Although making your own equipment if fun and you have a great sense of pride of you work after it is done and works:

For a little over $10.00, bphobbies has an esky usb cable that directly connects to the TX.
bpd282 is offline Find More Posts by bpd282
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:39 PM
Joined Sep 2006
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd282
Although making your own equipment if fun and you have a great sense of pride of you work after it is done and works:

For a little over $10.00, bphobbies has an esky usb cable that directly connects to the TX.
Direct link:

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=B0928373

Too bad it isn't in stock!

Oh, and another note on another site says:
"p.s.This cable does not work with E-sky 6Ch CCPM transmitter"

Rats!

BPHobbies really shouldn't advertise this under the CP2 section since it doesn't work with the CP2 transmitter.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:50 PM
Joined Sep 2006
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_2007
Try takeing a look at this site.

http://www.urbanastronomer.com/bladecp/cable/

That guy uses a different cable design than the one that I made. I made mine based off of a diagram from another site that showed the wires connecting to two pins on the SVideo end, and not one pin and the outside "ring"... The diagram on the site above is more clear. I doubt that I will put in the resistors, but now it makes sense why it isn't working....

I'll try again tomorrow when I bring my tools back to work with me and rebuild it over lunch.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:30 AM
Joined Sep 2006
243 Posts
Man. I am just stumped. I've reworked the cable, double and triple checked it, and it seems correct. I just can't get anything to work. I also don't get any "sound" when I move the sticks. Microphone is on, speakers are turned up. I am trying this on my work laptop, so I tried a co-worker's (same model laptop). Maybe it is something there. I will have to try this at home on my PC I guess.

Worse case, is there any disadvantage to just buying a ESKY 4-Channel simulator box (EK2-0905A is the model I believe)? I know that the CP2 comes with a 6 channel transmitter, so there has to be some difference, right?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:02 AM
Joined Sep 2006
243 Posts
OK. I found the problem. My cable still wasn't right. I even had 2 other guys at work look over the diagram and verify that I had it correct according to the pictures on the website above as well as another picture I found on-line. I tried it on another computer (not a laptop) and it didn't work. So I did what any normal person would.

I cut off the SVideo end of my cable, and stripped the wires a little, and stuck the one that was the ground (outside on the mono audio plug) into the round slot (outside where the circular connection on the SVideo would be), and then started testing the other 4 pin locations right on the receiver. When I got the noise, I knew how to solder up the cable.

Soldered it up, and then it worked on that PC. Still wouldn't work on my work laptop. So I went out and grabbed the latest drivers for the built in sound on the laptop, and then it worked. I was soon in FMS flying (and crashing). The controls are a bit sensative, and even what looks like a very gentle and controlled landing seems to end in a crash, but whatever. I can still learn orientation and so forth.

Thanks!