HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:58 PM
Joined Apr 2005
302 Posts
Build Log
Mig 1.44 MFI Build Guide

Mig 1.44 now available on Ebay. Search "Mig 1.44" This is the build guide. If you've build jet foamies before, you're in luck. This one is really easy because it only uses 2 servos, mounted in the wings. The airframe has a wingspan of 28" and length of 36". I have flown just about all of the other foamy jets out there and I could not believe I created the best one I have ever flown. Why???? Because when I threw the prototype for the maden flight, it went straight. I mean right where I pointed it. Like 1 click of trim was maybe all it took. It rolls like it has 4 channels. It can do amazing stalls and flat spins. Turns easily and manuvers sharply. Best of all, the elevator doesnt catch on the grass and break when I land(those who know know what I mean). I have so much fun with this jet, I never expected anything as good as this. I fly mine with a mega 16/15/3 at 30 amps with a 5.7x3 prop and a 1800 and 2000 3cell.

Parts you need to complete:
-brushless motor
I recommend a mega 16/15/3 or 4. I like speed. Also little screamer, any motor you can use a stick mount for and fit no bigger than a 7 inch prop. My plane AUW was 21oz. The foam only weighs 8oz. 300 watts per pound is good
-brushless sped control
-2 micro servos(hitec hs-55) or stronger
-reciever
-control horns for elevons
-piano/music wire about 1/32
-carbon fiber tube .21 dia about 22" long
-packaging tape
-hot glue
-sand paper
-servo mixer or elevon mixing on your radio
superscott is offline Find More Posts by superscott
Last edited by superscott; Mar 21, 2007 at 03:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:09 PM
Joined Apr 2005
302 Posts
pics

finished prototype
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:12 PM
Joined Apr 2005
302 Posts
step 1

FIRST sand all leading edges to a point. get to know the pieces. Careful bending the foam. squish it first, then bend. The side of the foam with the writing on it bends better on the outside. But the other side without writing on it, sands better.

Glue the fuselage sides to the top of the bottom piece so the bottom piece edge fits in the slot on the side fuse piece. Glue both sides.
Last edited by superscott; Mar 14, 2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:14 PM
Joined Apr 2005
302 Posts
step 2

Glue front bottom piece. Slide it into the slots and glue in place.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:24 PM
Joined Apr 2005
302 Posts
step 3

Laminate the nose pieces and canopy pieces all together. Laminate the canopy sill pieces all together. Draw canopy outline first and cut away the big chunks first, then sand to shape. Cut and sand the nose first to get some practice. Wait to do final sanding until they are both mounted on the jet. Glue the 2 long narrow exaust tube pieces together. Pre-bend the engine exaust tubes slightly at first and work them into their shape. I glued and taped them.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:29 PM
Joined Apr 2005
302 Posts
step 4

Lay the top piece on top of the wing so it fits, then trace the outline of the top piece onto the wing. Good time to put the carbon tube in. About an inch from the elevons and about an inch or a bit more from the wings. straight across. Cut a channel, then tape over one side. Flip the wing over, pour in the glue into the channel then lay the tube in the slot. then tape over that side. The tube placement is not critical. geeze!
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:30 PM
Joined Apr 2005
302 Posts
step 5

Slide the fuselage onto the wing. Line up the outline on the wing to the fuselage as best as you can, and glue it down. Stick the intake seperator in the middle of the intake. Sand elevons attachment point at a 45 degree angle so to make a hinge. Wrap elevons in packaging tape because the laminate will peel up. Wrap the wing where the elevons attach too, so no laminate from the foam will peel up. then use packaging tape for the actual hinge.
Last edited by superscott; Mar 20, 2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:56 PM
Joined Apr 2005
302 Posts
step 6

Glue on canard wings to their respective spots (I marked the side of the fuse with 2 dashes) with their top and bottom sills sanded. Fit the canopy into place. Trace around the bottom of the canopy using the fuse side as a guide. cut away the excess and sand round. Canopy should end up about flush with the top canard sill. Carve out some of the underside of the canopy if you cant get your battery to fit. I use velcro to hold batteries onto the plane.
Last edited by superscott; Mar 20, 2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:03 PM
Joined Apr 2005
302 Posts
step 7

dry fit your motor to make sure you can get it between the exhaust tubes. Peel the foam where the stick mount will attach to the wing. Give a good 4 inches of stick glued to the wing. Glue it all down. Run your speed control wire. I like to mount my servos pretty close to the control surface to eliminate the wire bending. But now you can kind of get an idea of how the craft is going to balance, so if you need to move the servos forward for weight, do so. Cut places in the wings for the servos, glue into place and tape over to make smooth. Mount your control horn about 1/4 to 1/2 way down the elevon. If you mount it too close, the elevon will flap. If you mount it too far back you don't get a lot of movement. If you're goung fast then 1/2 way is good. Connect all the rest of your electronics, test everything to make sure it works properly, AND CHECK CG now.

CENTER OF GRAVITY is between 7 and 8 inches back from the front of the bottom intake piece. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. Airplane must balance on this spot or it will fly like crap or not fly at all.
Last edited by superscott; Mar 26, 2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:12 PM
Joined Apr 2005
302 Posts
step 8

The rudders follow the same line and run right down the middle of the finger that protrudes from the very back. The back of the rudder bottom lines up with the back of the exhaust tubes. Use the rudder angle guide. Glue on the fuse top piece and the long narrow exhaust tube, connected to the back of the canopy.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:15 PM
Joined Apr 2005
302 Posts
glue on the underside rudders exactly underneath the topside, but NO angle. Straight up and down.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:18 PM
Joined Apr 2005
302 Posts
Sand all the edges of the fuselage and the top exhaust tube, finish sanding flush the canopy and nose.

any questions comments concerns, feel free

superscottorama@yahoo.com
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:20 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
Do you have any plans available for download?

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 15, 2007, 02:57 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Nov 2004
674 Posts
Nice model ,....it reminds me of my model
mesnick
mesnick is offline Find More Posts by mesnick
Old Mar 16, 2007, 04:55 PM
Joined Apr 2005