Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:33 PM
Svizzera, TI, Chiasso
Joined Apr 2006
7 Posts
Puppeteer from Switzerland

Hello guys, my name is Ruggero and I write (a little) from Switzerland, sorry for my english (google ), but would like to introduce my Flair Puppeteer.
I learned a lot by reading this useful topic. Thank you all for what you have written and what you taught me.

more photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/Ruggero...lairPuppeteer#

and video
Flair Puppeteer - GAM Stabio Switzerland (3 min 13 sec)

ciao e grazie
Ruggero"
RuPa is offline Find More Posts by RuPa
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2011, 03:43 AM
I was 1eyed But I fixed that
Central Coast NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2007
1,568 Posts
Verrrry nice build. Thank you for posting.

I am just starting a build so this will be very help full I hope.

Cheers Phil
HUMPHREY1957 is online now Find More Posts by HUMPHREY1957
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:03 AM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
puppeteer undercarriage mounting?

I've just acquired a partly built puppeteer. Fuselage, wings, tail, are completed and covered. I need to build and mount the undercarriage, but the plans don't seem to show the details. Just how does the undercarriage mount on the fuselage and wings? It would be very convenient to be able to easily dismount the lower wing from the fuselage for storage and transport using the wing mount bolt. The undercarriage needs to be easily detached to do this. How's it supposed to be held onto the body/wings?
RobinE is offline Find More Posts by RobinE
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
The stock gear is VERY short and VERY wide. I replaced this with something a bit more scale. On both the stock and my custom gear, the music wire cross-pieces slot into slotted beams in the fuse and embedded into the wing. They are held in with four plastic or brass tabs. It's pretty basic. And yes you have to remove the gear to take off the lower wing. The good news is that you only have to removed the rear tabs and then the gear will swing forward allowing your to remove the wing.
abufletcher is offline Find More Posts by abufletcher
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:33 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Nov 2010
63 Posts
The undercarriage sits on two recessed hardwood blocks, and is held in place by four plastic keepers, which are held in place by self tapping screws.
Have included a pic of my electric converted PUP.
Will try and post some more helpful pics for you tonight.
Ortho10 is offline Find More Posts by Ortho10
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:56 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Nov 2010
63 Posts
Sorry about the poor picture quality, but my Pup is in winter storage in a rather poorly lit loft.

The wing is not in situ, but you can just behind the cowl; the slot in to which the front part of the UC sits; and the holes for the self tapping screws.

There is a similar slot on the lower wing.

If you cannot see these on your model it could be that:
a) You need to remove the covering
b) The blocks have been put in the wrong way up, hence no recess
c) Mine is an old version of the kit and things may have changed.
Ortho10 is offline Find More Posts by Ortho10
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:17 AM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Undercarriage mounting and inter-wing struts

Many thx Ortho10 for heading into the loft for those pics, and to abufletcher for the tip about the UC folding forward. I have the slot on the front of the fuselage but cant see the one under the wing. I've also found the four plastic tabs in one of the boxes. I'll have to dig around a bit to find the wing slot. I need to demount both wings for easy transport and storage, so I'll look around for some miniature knurled nuts for the body to upper-wing strut fastenings.
The next question is about the embedded attachments for the inter-wing struts. The hardwood struts have never been finished... it was a work in progress. In my case the attachments points on the lower wing have broken off. They were very thin and brittle plastic (much thinner than credit card plastic) and with a distinctly home bodged look. The inter-aileron connecting tabs are metal. Just what material were those inter-wing strut attachment points meant to be? I have the feeling they should be reasonably robust to withstand my rough first landings (maybe even a wing tip touchdown).
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:09 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
The strut attachment points on the original kit were metal and you were supposed to solder an M3 nut onto each one. Then you pass an M3 bolt through a hole in the end of the strut and thread it into the soldered nut.

By the way, you might find this video I made of the building of my Puppeteer informative.

Building the Flair Puppeteer (2 min 16 sec)
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:41 AM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Thx abufletcher. That's a great video and a beautiful build. I can (briefly) see answers to many of my questions. Did you ever do a picture gallery? I'm going to open up the wings and do a rebuild of those strut ends.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
I built my Puppeteer from start to maiden in six week, because I desperately needed some WWI biplane experience. I added my build into an already running thread on various Puppeteer builds (on RCU):

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25...17/key_/tm.htm
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
By the way, did the prior builder put servos into both of the lower wings? The original plan (as I recall) uses a single servo in the fuselage with a bellcrank operation. That almost always results in a LOT of slop on the ailerons. Much better and much easier to just have a servo in each (lower) wing.