HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2009, 05:04 AM
Cheshire
Joined Aug 2009
117 Posts
Hi fellas.

Just found this thread. I also have a Flair pup. I am fitting an Enya 60 4 stroke and have really had to butcher the front end to get it in! I have made a recessed firewall further back and put the engine upright with the head sticking out the top ever so slightly. I bought the plane half built which was a mistake. I wish I had started it myself then I would have got the fuse straight! I've had to rebuild the back end and redo some work on the wings, bit of a mission but its getting there! I'll post a pick when I can soon.

Iain.
batcho99 is offline Find More Posts by batcho99
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2009, 05:16 AM
Scott Quinn
Nottingham UK
Joined Oct 2006
249 Posts
Hi Iain,

Its quite a long isnt it? . . . I um'ed and arh'ed for ages about whether or not to go for the upright option I think it was having it poke out the cowl and having to cut a chunk out of the side out for the exhaust as well that persuaded me to go for the side mount. Also with a small amount of right thrust which comes about be offsetting the engine mount by 5mm on the firewall the cylinder head fits inside the cowl nicely and with the SC52 on the side the throttle control was simple etc . . . I only paid 70 for my Pup and it's and electric minter . . . But ripping out the firewall and making new was gutting - thank the lord for Permagrit sanding tools.

Be sure to post when your done eh? Good luck . . .

Scott.
siddus is offline Find More Posts by siddus
Old Sep 04, 2009, 06:25 AM
Cheshire
Joined Aug 2009
117 Posts
Hi Scott.

Yeah its not nice cutting your lovely model up! I literally got a saw out and cut away the old wooden mounts. I've used a plastic one now. I've still got some filling in with balsa to do but the main work is done. I could do with a bit of pipe to produce a new exhaust manifild so I can pop the exhaust straight out of the bottom near the u/c but i'm not sure where to get some of the correct dimensions?

I will defo put some pics on when i do them, i'll set up a photo bucket or something.

I still need to finish the rest of the plane off too, its been a long project, amongst others! I 'm building quite a few at the mo and haven't got enough time. Got a new baby too!!!

Iain.

Last edited by batcho99; Sep 04, 2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 03:25 PM
Cheshire
Joined Aug 2009
117 Posts
Pics added above
Old Sep 04, 2009, 03:37 PM
Scott Quinn
Nottingham UK
Joined Oct 2006
249 Posts
Iain,

Good work there dude, the engine rocker cover doesnt look that out of place, I know what you mean about other project etc, im building a 100" Martin Mars water bomber at the moment (literally) other projects keep forcing me away from her . . .
Old Sep 04, 2009, 03:43 PM
Cheshire
Joined Aug 2009
117 Posts
Thats a big bird Scott! I can't keep up with my projects, i'm addicted to them, yet I never have enough time. Just a very busy time at the mo. They'll get there eventually. I've worn not to start anything else until the pup and my gyro are finished
Old Sep 04, 2009, 05:14 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
You guys are doing some nice work there on those Pups !!!

Sid, that Water plane you are building is fantastic !!!!!

Seeya guy's, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Sep 07, 2009, 04:01 PM
Scott Quinn
Nottingham UK
Joined Oct 2006
249 Posts
Finally got to fly my converted pup today . . . Magic! simply magic . . .

The 10 slog to change the firewall to recess and shoehorn the .52FS was so worth it . . . with a 3300mah sub C rx pack to lead we required, flies really nice on a 12x6 wooden zinger prop . . .

Scott.
Old Sep 07, 2009, 05:43 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Looks fantastic in the air Sid !!!

Congratulations !!

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:01 PM
Cheshire
Joined Aug 2009
117 Posts
Hi Scott

Are you still flying the Pup?? I promised myself that i wouldn't build anything else last year until I finished my pup but I ended up building a Tony Nijhuis Spitfire!! I'm bad I know. Thats all finished along with a few other projects so I have finally devoted the bench to the pup, and its not coming off the bench until its finished! I mean it this time!!!

Iain. I'll keep you all posted.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 05:32 AM
Cheshire
Joined Aug 2009
117 Posts
Hi.

Has anyone got the dimensions for making the u/c on the pup please? I can't find that sheet of the plane anywhere?? I also dont seen to have the original wire so i'll have to bend my own.

Thanks.

Iain
Old Oct 06, 2010, 02:20 PM
UK, Durham, Durham
Joined Jan 2001
138 Posts
I've almost finished repairing a Puppeteer which i bought (in pieces) from a friend. It's got a '70 4 stroke in it, which will be great for when I fly it off the water.
I made a mod to the u/c to get a more 'scale' and less 'squat' look to it
Graeme Hogg is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Hogg
Last edited by Graeme Hogg; Oct 07, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 06:12 AM
Goaflier
Burnley, Lancashire and Goa India.
Joined Jul 2008
123 Posts
Electric Puppeteer.

Can anyone tell me how to easily replicate the machine turning on the cowl of my Puppeteer? I tried it many years ago with a small rotary wire brush on my Dremel but it didn't turn out too well and I am sure someone by now must have found a simpler way.
Also - any suggestions for easy method of making the decals - favourite at the moment is using Solartrim applied using the soapy water method. The Flair decals are too thick and its difficult to put them on without wrinkling when you get a bit of double curvature.

Have electronised my Pup and found it to be an easier conversion than I anticipated.

Lots of thanks. H.
Harry Pickles is offline Find More Posts by Harry Pickles
Last edited by Harry Pickles; Nov 08, 2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: correct spelling....
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:54 AM
Goaflier
Burnley, Lancashire and Goa India.
Joined Jul 2008
123 Posts
Puppeteer - decals.

Sorted out the decals problem. I made the circle cutter to the instructions on the rear of the Solartrim wrapper using 1/4" dowel and 1/2" square beech engine bearers and before you laugh - I know its a bit Industrial --- but ----It works a treat. H.

Just in case anyone else wants to make one ---- Here it is.
Harry Pickles is offline Find More Posts by Harry Pickles
Last edited by Harry Pickles; Nov 15, 2010 at 06:16 AM. Reason: addition
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:23 PM
Stourbridge UK
Joined Jul 2009
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pickles View Post
Can anyone tell me how to easily replicate the machine turning on the cowl of my Puppeteer? I tried it many years ago with a small rotary wire brush on my Dremel but it didn't turn out too well and I am sure someone by now must have found a simpler way.
Also - any suggestions for easy method of making the decals - favourite at the moment is using Solartrim applied using the soapy water method. The Flair decals are too thick and its difficult to put them on without wrinkling when you get a bit of double curvature.

Have electronised my Pup and found it to be an easier conversion than I anticipated.

Lots of thanks. H.
Harry re the machine turning on the cowl,you could use some dowel,whatever size you need,make sure end is right angle to the side put it in a drill and dab some fine grinding paste on the end and lightly apply spinning dowel onto aluminium for desired effect.Practice on some scrap first would be my recommendation though.
HTH
John
fly-navy is offline Find More Posts by fly-navy