HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2007, 03:59 AM
Southampton ,England
Joined Oct 2006
770 Posts
Tim,

Its the differnce between constant pitch props and tapered props. APC produce the mass of there thrust in the first couple of inches from the centre and taper away towards the tip to control tip speed drag. This ensures overall rpm remains high. A constant pitch prop generate huge drag at the tip and can bring the overalll rpm down as a result. Ideal for big fat slow powerful models.

Looks fantastic erich. Like your linkages. Ill use that in my next project. Flew my pup last night till dark. Lovely. I must get someone to do a film for you and Tim. I managed to get it hovering into a nice 8 mph wind. Your 40fs will be fine up to 8-10 mph before it gets interesting.
adamtc is offline Find More Posts by adamtc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2007, 12:33 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Yea... well that tapered prop looks pretty ugly, but am still going to use it, if I ever fly this plane. Noticed there's almost no pitch or width at the tip of the APC prop, which probably accounts for the reduced drag there. Checked with a local hobby shop, the mounting holes for a new 56 Saito is exactly the same as my old 40. Carbeurator and all that is in same location also. So if worse happens I can switch to the larger engine without to much bother, except for the cost. But for now am staying with ye olde Saito 40. Your pup can fly that slow (8 mph), wow that's great. Just love slow flight. Well gotta get back to building. But, we'll be a waiting on that film.

erich
erich is offline Find More Posts by erich
Old Jun 05, 2007, 01:41 PM
Southampton ,England
Joined Oct 2006
770 Posts
hell in the right wind shes stationary!
Old Jun 06, 2007, 08:00 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
You sure it's not a helicopter your flying.

erich
Old Jun 06, 2007, 08:03 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Tail dragger

Made a little more progress toward a finished plane. Added the tail dragger wire thing. Glued on with 5 min epoxy. Front end of this has a 1/4" long section of the 1/8" dia wire inserted into fuselage. To help align, drilled out rear of wood triangle and added a small length of a toothpick, which got inserted into fuselage bottom, making aligning a cinch.

erich
Old Jun 06, 2007, 09:31 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Adam :
Quote:
Its the differnce between constant pitch props and tapered props. APC produce the mass of there thrust in the first couple of inches from the centre and taper away towards the tip to control tip speed drag. This ensures overall rpm remains high. A constant pitch prop generate huge drag at the tip and can bring the overalll rpm down as a result. Ideal for big fat slow powerful models
Thanks for that exsplanation, I kinda thought that might be it but it was just a thought.
Now that I see you think it as well, then I feel confident that the way it is.

Erich :
Yes ! do give your Saito .40 a chance because my Saito .45 I was telling you about several post back is very old and worn.
It may be a .30 now for all I know
Quote:
Your pup can fly that slow (8 mph), wow that's great.
You are not going to beleive it Erich !!!
These Pups will fly at what I guess may be 2 or 3 mile and houe with no wind.
They litterally float and if your engine doesnt idle good then it will be hard to get down.
Unless there is a little headwind to help you out and set it down.

Thats why I think that if your Saito .40 is powerful enough then it will be great because it should idle down enough to where you can land in no wind.

Adam , Video's would be cool if you get some.

SEEYA GUY'S , TIM
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Jun 09, 2007, 06:19 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Covering Finished

After all control lines were hooked up, was able to cover bottom rear fuselage. Did some cleaning up of the wing saddle area. Hooked up throttle control rod to servo. So....the plane is covered. Just need to do a few more small touch ups. Then can get on to hooking up engine. And reinstall the wheels.

erich
Old Jun 09, 2007, 06:25 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Tim

Feeling better all the time about using the Saito 40. Am getting pretty anxious to fly this bird. Shouldn't be to long now. Kinda crazy but I'm much better at getting to the build table than to the flying field. Yea we gotta get Adam to make that video. Really want to see him hover his Pup.

erich
Old Jun 09, 2007, 12:22 PM
Southampton ,England
Joined Oct 2006
770 Posts
Yep she hovers and did me proud yesterday against a flair se5a. That was until the throttle jammed at tickover and I had to land her in the rough almost out of sight. Damn thing wouldnt land!!!!

Wish I did have my camera as we had some lovely models turn up and made a difference from all the ARTF trainers. An old chap turned up with 2 beauties built to a standard I have never seen. Tissue covered and as smooth as silk. All the hinges were sewn and the fuselages were transparent .Very joint was visible and perfect.

Made up for someone stoving a nice spit into the runway at full power.
Old Jun 09, 2007, 03:13 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Adam and Erich :

First let me tell you that I dont know how true this story is but it is something I read somewhere.

The Pup & Se5a could fly so much slower than most all the other planes of that ara that one dogfight manuver was to drop the throttle and let their aponent pass them up and as they past them they would drop their tail and shoot up at their aponent.
Suposably it worked pretty good but again I dont know that for sure because I dont remember where I read that.
Pretty cool though if its real.

I got a little footage of my Pup and my nephews DR 1 flying together but I dont know what I did when I saved it but I tried and tried and I cant upload it for you guys to see.
BUT !!!
If you go to our club site http://www.houstonsportflyers.com/home and scroll about half way down and look to the right you will see in red writting "NEW" and right next to that in green writting "VIDEO ARCHIVES".
Click on that and when the page comes up our video is called (Bi-Tri Planes)

I dont know why the guy editted it out but we were actually dogfighting !!
Maybe we were to high up to tell, maybe thats why he editted it out. "I dont know"

Erich in one of those fly byes we were pretty slow and you can kinda tell my nephew is haveing trouble staying with the Pup. He starts porpousing a little and my Pup is still steady and flying. So they do fly slow, you will like your Pup.

SEEYA GUY'S , TIM
Old Jun 09, 2007, 04:33 PM
Southampton ,England
Joined Oct 2006
770 Posts
nice one tim!!

your right about the fighting tactics. The dr1 used to be able to draw level to the side of the enemy, give it full rudder jaw, go sideways, open fire and then dive away.
Old Jun 09, 2007, 05:36 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Not bad, even music. Liked the shots coming down over runway, could see the triplane doing a little rocking motion. Kinda looked like there was a little dogfighting going on. Would be pretty cool if you can get the guy to edit in some machine gun fire, when the planes are in the right positions. Wish I hadn't seen the video, now I gotta get this plane out there, AND build a DR 1.

erich
Old Jun 09, 2007, 07:08 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Adam :
Quote:
The dr1 used to be able to draw level to the side of the enemy, give it full rudder jaw, go sideways, open fire and then dive away.
Cooool ! I didnt know that, I will have to tell my nephew !

Erich :
Quote:
now I gotta get this plane out there, AND build a DR 1.
HA! HA! HA! Now you have to build a Tri-plane !!

Erich, I forgot to tell you in my last post, (I guess because it was getting kinda long) but You are very good at covering, even on your wing saddle you dont see no big ugly wrinkles and I always get them there.

SEEYA GUY'S , TIM
Old Jun 09, 2007, 08:19 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Tim

I better be (good at covering) had about 30 planes to get the hang of it. Believe I finally got the hang of it at about number 28. Had most of my upbringing with Monokote, and if you can keep that from wrinkling, Ultracote and especially Solartex is almost EASY.

The triplane will have to wait a little while, am finishing up a glider called Houston Hawk, at the moment. Had built the wings 2 years ago, hated the fiberglass fuse that came with it, soo..finally decided to make a wooden one. Another week and it will be done. Than maybe will get to that triplane, although really like your F2B too.

If anyone is interested here's a link to the Hawk plane: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691892

erich
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:04 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Engine

Have installed engine and hooked up most of the controls and things.

Photo 1: The red lead is the remote plug line (goes from remote plug to engine plug..duh). White braided line is plug ground, goes to one of the engine block bolts (NOT the mounting screws). Fuel line loop is fill line, loop is for slack needed when filling tank. You can see tank and the carb fuel line just to left of needle valve adjust (long black extension).

Photo 2: Remote plug in upper left corner, should be easy to access, when starting up. You can see here where ground lead is attached to engine. Air pressure line goes to tap on exhaust. Just below this is the throttle connection. Was a pretty tight fit. Would have been a little easier if carb had been in front of engine, oh well, it's in there now.

erich