HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2007, 03:23 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,596 Posts
Yea that's what it shows on the plans. But the wheels I made have a brass tube that fits the steel axle perfectly. So... couldn't solder on a brass tube of the same dia as the steel axle. If I had made the wheels brass hub, a size larger that would have worked. Didn't check the plans for the method of locking on wheels, till I had the wheels done. Ended up working pretty good anyway. While not cricket they hubs look pretty game. Just got done staining them a few times.

erich
erich is online now Find More Posts by erich
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2007, 05:52 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,596 Posts
Speaking of the wheels. Just found some photos I had taken of the actual spinning 'o' the wheels. Figured someone might find it interesting how it's done.
Last edited by erich; May 10, 2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old May 10, 2007, 06:20 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
erich :
Quote:
Speaking of the wheels. Just found some photos I had taken of the actual spinning 'o' the wheels. Figured someone might find it interesting how it's done.
Thanks for posting that but how do you get them out of the jig when you are done ?
And do you do one side and then the other or do you do both sides at one time ?

SEEYA, TIM
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old May 10, 2007, 06:39 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,596 Posts
Just get a hammer and smash the jig.

Naaahhhh. Well I suppose you could. Unless you want to use it again.

Here's the story: 3 of the 4 supports in 1st photo, are glued to bottom balsa piece and to a 2" brass tube same dia as the hubs brass tube. Then a steel wire about 2 1/2" long is slide into 2" brass tube. The 4th support is NOT glued in, it slides into a slot (as all the supports do), when it butts up against 2" brass tube, a couple of T-pins are placed to hold it there. Course this is done after the ply outer ring (one in photo with the slots for the string) is put in place. Hub (which is 5 tiny wood rings and a 3/4" brass tube) is then slide over steel wire till it rests on top of 2" brass tube. Then when wheel has been strung, the pinned support is removed, the steel wire is pulled out, and finished wheel is slide out.
Pretty clever huh. Got it from a company called Aerodrome.

Been checking out your F3B, looking mighty fine, the exhaust would look pretty good in white, my 2 cents.

erich
Old May 11, 2007, 08:02 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,596 Posts
Staining

Applied something called Minwax. A one step stain an polyurethane thing. Used antique walnut satin. Had to put on 4 coats before I got a slight polish to the parts. Used a brush on the N struts, found it hard not to get runs that way, so started applying the stuff with paper towels. That seems to work better. Anyway got the N struts, axle hub covers and aileron couplers all stained up. Next the undercarriage.

erich
Old May 12, 2007, 04:34 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,596 Posts
Undercarriage complete

Wheels and undercarriage thingees stained and assembled. Hey this thing looks almost like it might work, wheels spin and everything. Will have to make sure locking hubs don't come loose while taxing or something. Would be pretty embarrassing to fly overhead and have a wheel fall off, not to mention the difficulty in landing. Once saw a full size AT6 land with just one front wheel, wasn't graceful. After the wood strut covers were glued on, wrapped the soldered areas with some white braided string, and then soaked the whole mess with 12 min epoxy. Hopefully this not only makes the joints look better, but reinforces them also. Am prejudiced no doubt, but to me the whole thing, looks pretty good.

erich
Old May 12, 2007, 08:44 AM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
erich :
Quote:
wrapped the soldered areas with some white braided string, and then soaked the whole mess with 12 min epoxy. Hopefully this not only makes the joints look better, but reinforces them also.
Im sure it will strengthen it also and you can probably take a small wire brush and knock some of that shine off.
Quote:
Am prejudiced no doubt, but to me the whole thing, looks pretty good
I dont know if I would say pretty good, AWSOME!!!! maybe.

SEEYA, TIM
Old May 12, 2007, 08:59 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,596 Posts
Tim

Thanks for the wire brush tip. Seems to work. Awsome is probably better applied to an F3B I know of.

erich
Old May 12, 2007, 09:45 AM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
erich :
Quote:
Thanks for the wire brush tip. Seems to work. Awsome is probably better applied to an F3B I know of.
Thanks for the compliment but yours really is awsome too because thats a lot of detail work you have done there.
And looks great !!

My plane is a F2b by the way.

I noticed you wondering how you could do your roundels earlier a few post back and you werent really wanting to paint.

Well I was the same way so I drew a circle with a compus on some white, red, and blue Century 21 and then cut them out with sissors.
Its not as easy as I just made it sound but you can do it and it looks like painted cloth when your done.
I guess because Century 21 is painted cloth !

If you have a glass top on a table or something.
A little trick I discovered to get the Century 21 to lay flat without moveing around was to take the plastic film off and wet the glass and stick the Century 21 to it and then use your compass to draw the circle.
I stuck a thin 1/64 plywood piece under the very center to stick the compass to.

Here are a couple of pictures.

SEEYA, TIM
Old May 12, 2007, 10:50 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,596 Posts
Tim

Thanks a lot for the screw job. Jut got em. F2B huh... not F3B, well look at this way, I gave your plane a promotion. Great idea on the roundels. Where did you get the century 21 stuff? More important what is Century 21? Looks like it might be an iron on film. Cut the ailerons away a long time ago. Already got them covered. I noticed you got a big square hole on the end of your right wing. Doesn't that make it fly kinda funny?

erich
Old May 12, 2007, 11:09 AM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Century 21 is just another brand of iron on fabric.
It's painted and isnt transparrent as most other fabrics.
I still like Solartex better but the Century 21 is good too and looks like a paint job.
You can get it at Towers or your local hobby shop.
Here is some blue at Towers
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB196&P=7
Excuse me I see now that it is actually 21st Century !!!

Also it comes in both a film and fabric !!

SEEYA, TIM

PS I forgot
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the screw job. Jut got em.
Your Welcome !!
Old May 12, 2007, 11:33 AM
Southampton ,England
Joined Oct 2006
770 Posts
your roundels are upside down you know...........
adamtc is offline Find More Posts by adamtc
Old May 12, 2007, 01:29 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,596 Posts
Glad you pointed that out, Adam, like a lemming, I would have copied Tim and goofed up the roundels too. So just to make sure will put little arrows pointing up, on mine. Will probably go with Solartex, can get that easily. But instead of the red, white and blue, may try green, black and yellow. Mostly cause I have those colors already.

green air
erich
Old May 12, 2007, 03:23 PM
Southampton ,England
Joined Oct 2006
770 Posts
Ah the little known squadron of jamacian sopwith pups!! ya man.

Nice work erich!! I assume you will also have a dreadlocked pilot to go with it?
adamtc is offline Find More Posts by adamtc
Old May 12, 2007, 03:49 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,596 Posts
Here, he, she, it be. Looks even better then dreadlocks. Believe it was a member of the bobsled team too. You know, the guy with the little song, before take off. And speaking of take off.....

gotta go fly

erich