Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:45 PM
Joined Nov 2004
29 Posts
Discussion
Marske Pioneer II or III

Does anyone have the fuse drawn up in Rhino and be willing to share the file? I would like to possibly get a plug cnc'd. Or even a built up fuse would help considerably. Any help would be appreciated.
Bryan bryan.mittons@freemanco.com
Sail-r is offline Find More Posts by Sail-r
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:54 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
936 Posts
BirdOfPlay might be able to help - see third post in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447719
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:35 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,863 Posts
Marske Pioneer IID

I own this one, built back in the early '90s by Bill Kuhlman. I should advise you that it is a difficult sailplane to thermal at altitude, as it is a real challenge to nail down the pitch attitude. The short fuselage (my wife calls this one the "flying egg") makes it hard to tell if the attitude is level. I usually manage to keep the roller coaster pitch excursions to a minimum, but it never does settle down in turbulent lift. Aerotowing can also be bit of a go, if you should scrape a wingtip on launch. The short-coupled fuselage will go sideways quickly, and all the rudder in the world won't stop it.

That said, I do most of my flying with the Marske Pioneer on the slope, where none of these drawbacks are evident. It sure looks weird in the air, and there is no mistaking it for any other glider in the gaggle.

The fuse on mine is made of fiberglass, using the lost foam process, so no plug, unfortunately. Have fun with yours, and do post a build thread when you get it underway.

Don.
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Built Stinson 105
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:55 AM
Joined Nov 2004
29 Posts
Marske Pioneer II or III

Thanks for the replies guys. I have the 3 view and cross sections in AutoCAD so I may end up going with the lost foam route. I was looking for the Rhino file because I have access to cnc and was going to have a plug done.
I read an article somewhere some time ago about the "flying egg". I will keep you posted as I make progress.
Sail-r is offline Find More Posts by Sail-r
Old Mar 15, 2007, 04:47 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy
The short fuselage (my wife calls this one the "flying egg") makes it hard to tell if the attitude is level. I usually manage to keep the roller coaster pitch excursions to a minimum, but it never does settle down in turbulent lift. Aerotowing can also be bit of a go, if you should scrape a wingtip on launch. The short-coupled fuselage will go sideways quickly, and all the rudder in the world won't stop it.
Don.
Don......have you ever thought of putting a "gyro" on elevator? You could put it on a switch so you could control when it "helps"! As far as towing....build a "dolly" for it.....I know they don't look the best....."training wheels" as we refer to them.....but it would eliminate the tow problems.
SZD16 is online now Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:05 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZD16
Don......have you ever thought of putting a "gyro" on elevator?

What an excellent idea! Thanks, Tom, I may just have to try that sometime.
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Built Stinson 105