HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:09 AM
I'M OVER HERE NOW
Joined Mar 2007
89 Posts
Discussion
Rc Warship Combat

does anyone here participate in rc warship combat?
if you dont know that it is, go to youtube and search "rc warship combat"
donanton is offline Find More Posts by donanton
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2007, 03:05 PM
I'M OVER HERE NOW
Joined Mar 2007
89 Posts
dam umi youre on every friggin message board that is for rc warship combat
Old Mar 14, 2007, 03:07 PM
I'M OVER HERE NOW
Joined Mar 2007
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
did that boat sink or just bob there?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:53 PM
Hunt County, Texas
Joined Sep 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donanton
does anyone here participate in rc warship combat?
if you dont know that it is, go to youtube and search "rc warship combat"
Most definitely, of the Big Gun variety.

JM
johnmca72 is offline Find More Posts by johnmca72
Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:27 PM
Boston area
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
Great plcture LoL
Powder_monkey is offline Find More Posts by Powder_monkey
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:23 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donanton
did that boat sink or just bob there?
The combination of a foam filled supersturcture, and the air trapped in my water tight box allows the boat to sink, and then just bob in the water like that.

The boat used to roll over and sink, but I re-ballasted the boat at some point in it's career, and now it just goes neatly down stern first.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:07 PM
I'M OVER HERE NOW
Joined Mar 2007
89 Posts
doesn't the foam make your ship illegal
Old Mar 16, 2007, 12:27 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,832 Posts
Not if you go by the rules...
Old Mar 18, 2007, 01:46 PM
Midshipman Under Guidance
SUNY Maritime
Joined Mar 2007
268 Posts
Mwc

Glad to see there are some people here that are involved in what looks like an awesome hobby. Have wanted to get involved myself for years but no money to speak of yet...still in college, but trying to get some Naval Arch kids around to possibly start somethin up here...not sure though cuz in NYC...we're kind trapped by the city.

Nivek
MUG1982 is offline Find More Posts by MUG1982
Old Mar 19, 2007, 02:34 PM
I'M OVER HERE NOW
Joined Mar 2007
89 Posts
anyone know where to see pictures or video of an rc boat or submarine firing torpedos?
are there any rc combat clubs that allow torpedos?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 06:15 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,832 Posts
Torpedos are typically single fire pieces of 3"x 1/4"diameter rod in 1/72nd scale. They don't go to far, usually less than 12 feet.
In 1/144 scale, they are often represented by large ball bearings.
None of the torpedos in "rc combat" are powered.

Our sub guys called "no Joy", because the destroyer captains could lob about 6-8 ball bearings straight up into the are, and arc them down range around the submarines. If a referee saw that the bearings dropped within a foot of the submarine, it was called sunk. The "hedge hog" weapon typically sunk the same submarine three times a battle.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 03:48 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
Torpedos are typically single fire pieces of 3"x 1/4"diameter rod in 1/72nd scale. They don't go to far, usually less than 12 feet.
In 1/144 scale, they are often represented by large ball bearings.
None of the torpedos in "rc combat" are powered.

Our sub guys called "no Joy", because the destroyer captains could lob about 6-8 ball bearings straight up into the are, and arc them down range around the submarines. If a referee saw that the bearings dropped within a foot of the submarine, it was called sunk. The "hedge hog" weapon typically sunk the same submarine three times a battle.
The Sub guys were right to declare "no joy" because the rules unfavorably stilted the kills significantly to the destroyer side.

Hedge Hogs were an improvement over depth charges but they were a 'contact' kill weapon, they did NOT detonate in proximity like a depth charge did. So the rules for your hedge hogs should be that a round must actually make contact with the sub, not just land near it.

Subs would be tricky to work with in RC combat like this, especially since they would be forced to operate on the surface.

It would be possible to simulate a depth charge run on a submerged sub with strobed LED's triggered by the DD captain. If the photo pickup on the sub is within the range of the strobe, it immediately rises to the surface 'dead'.

A hedge hog would be hard to work with against an underwater target unless you used something like 'jacks' or caltrops to simulate the round and had some thin foam atop the sub for them to stick into. If a shot came close, the judge could force the sub to surface and if it had a jack stuck in it, it was 'sunk'.

It can be done but it would be hard, and in my opinon not worth the effort. Subs were more effective in commerce raiding than surface engagements. They were a pain in surface engagements but they were a tactical, not strategic weapon when placed in a fleet engagement. I'd just keep them out of the fun to make it more fun. Just my $0.02 there...

I'd love to join one of these combat clubs but I don't have the time or funds to travel to any of them in operation.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks