SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 14, 2007, 04:21 AM
Warbird Junkie
Joined Jan 2007
293 Posts
Discussion
How do you install the ailerons on a GWS Corsair?

It seems very difficult, and it seems that it can't be done without bending the wire. If you do that, the aileron won't move staight up and down; it will have pull to the left and right as well, right?

The instuction manual is such a help. "Install aileron rod and glue down tubes." Gee guys, a little help please?
woody429924 is offline Find More Posts by woody429924
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:29 AM
It's a really big number.
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
The trick is to cut the tube into 4 bits and equally space them along the wire and 'bow' the wire around the bend (not bend the wire with a pair of pliers etc). It does work, but with a bit of wire under constant spring like that can bind easily and is pretty high friction all the time.

What most people do is stick a separate servo in each wing.
Googleplex is offline Find More Posts by Googleplex
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:34 AM
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Yup...I just installed a GWS Pico servo in each wing and was done with it.

Jimsky
jimsky is offline Find More Posts by jimsky
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:39 AM
Is it SEFF yet?
Florence, AL
Joined Jun 2006
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleplex
What most people do is stick a separate servo in each wing.
That is my plan too. Sounds like the best way to avoid trouble.
reg3 is offline Find More Posts by reg3
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:43 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
When done properly though, the stock arrangement does work fine. Extra wing servo equals more weight and more cost.
J
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:35 AM
rhyl
Joined Jul 2005
181 Posts
i bet the wire weighs more than a servo. i used 2 9gram servos
twchdyn is offline Find More Posts by twchdyn
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:49 AM
Union County, New Jersey
Joined Apr 2006
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twchdyn
i bet the wire weighs more than a servo. i used 2 9gram servos
You are correct. At least, the net change was not as high as would have been expected. Those torque rods are heavy.

I put the rods in originally, but just didn't like how they behaved afterward. So i pulled the wires and put two servos in the wings. Now I am ready to pull those out and put them back in the top of the wing instead. But the plane behaves much better with the two servos (in my case). I think you'll find close to a 50/50 split of people that liked the stock set-up and people that worked around it.

I'll tell you how I did it though. I didn't cut the tube in small pieces. The longer tube gave me more holding power without the epoxy running past the ends of the tube and fouling the rod. I used one full tube each on the center of the wing end, and the aileron end. I glued both spots at the same time and then used a 1/8" thick scrap of balsa to push the rod into the bottom of the channel. I found that pushing it at the deepest part of the bend was all it took to get the whole thing to sit down. I wasn't smart enough to tie it down or anything like that. I held it for an hour!!

Good luck. It's a nice plane. I think you'll like it at least as much as the Ultrafly you've been playing with. It should come out a lot lighter.
alienx is offline Find More Posts by alienx