HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2007, 02:52 AM
Torrance, CA
Joined Apr 2006
37 Posts
Discussion
Help! Is F-27C Stryker Right For Me?

Howdy all,
I'm sitting here with a brand-new F-27C stryker, and I can't decide if I should keep it! I would love if you guys could give me a quick opinion whether its for me.. Let me tell you my situation:

I have had a blast flying my first plane, an Easy Star, for the last year. I've done slope and park flying. Now I want to buy either the B or C variant of the RTF Stryker. Due to a temporary $230 deal on the brushless C, I bought one, but I think I should return it for a B because:

1) It goes 80 mph (or based on what i've read here somewhat less).

2) I've only had experience flying the Easy Star with rudder/elevator and the FMS strykers. Thus I will probably crash it or lose it due to its great speed.

3) The LiPo batteries are more fragile than NiCad, and I will ruin the battery quickly and have to buy a new one.

Should I opt for a B variant instead since it has NiCads which aren't as fragile?? It would probably be easier to control as well at only 50mph.

In contrast, could I be totally wrong and maybe I should stick with the F-27C? Perhaps I'll be fine with flying at decreased throttle until I get the hang of the Stryker? It sounds like it handles ok at slower speeds. Also am I being overly dramatic about the fragility of LiPos (It does seem that the design has the Lipo wedged in quite nicely and protectively)?

Please help me make up my mind! I'd love to go maiden this F-27C but I'm scared! Should I go for it? Thanks for all the great posts on the Stryker so far.. I await your expert advice!

rchmc
rchmc is offline Find More Posts by rchmc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2007, 03:54 AM
Joined Feb 2007
35 Posts
rchmc,
While I am no expert and the Stryker and a Slinger are the only "planes" I have flown, I would say keep the C. First, you don't HAVE to go 80MPH. You can go just as slow as the B. But I am sure you will want to go faster than the B can go after getting used to it. The lipo that the RTF comes with fits nice and snug in the compartment, so it is pretty protected. Youre gonna want to buy more battery packs as one just isnt enough, and you are not going to want to fast charge a lipo.
RCPilotSki is offline Find More Posts by RCPilotSki
Old Mar 14, 2007, 04:23 AM
That's gonna leave a mark
USA, OR, McMinnville
Joined May 2006
82 Posts
Is F-27C Stryker Right For Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchmc
Howdy all,
I'm sitting here with a brand-new F-27C stryker, and I can't decide if I should keep it! I would love if you guys could give me a quick opinion whether its for me.. Let me tell you my situation:

I have had a blast flying my first plane, an Easy Star, for the last year. I've done slope and park flying. Now I want to buy either the B or C variant of the RTF Stryker. Due to a temporary $230 deal on the brushless C, I bought one, but I think I should return it for a B because:
rchmc
I really learned to fly on the Stryker! I've had the "A", "B" and "C" variants and now am on my Second "CB" (Custom Built) Variant! My first plane Was a PZ Challenger, I could fly it almost anywhere, space permitting! But after a couple months was pretty boring, hence the stryker "A"! If I knew then what I know now, I would have skipped the A and B and went straight to "C"!
The "C" can fly fly slower and faster than it"s predecessors with it's lighter wingloading and Bushless/lipo combo, it won't struggle to get on the wing like the A and B versions! Plus it's Z-Foam (an EPP blend particuler to PZ) that glues back together really well. I used 5 min Epoxy! Others use Goop or FS Super Glue!

If you've been flying for a year, you should be able to keep track of oriention pretty well. But the Stryker does tend to get rather small coming and going directly towards/away from yourself!

Quote:
1) It goes 80 mph (or based on what i've read here somewhat less).
rchmc
Remember you don't have to go WOT, but after a few flights you will!

Quote:
2) I've only had experience flying the Easy Star with rudder/elevator and the FMS strykers. Thus I will probably crash it or lose it due to its great speed.
rchmc
The FMS stryker is hader to fly than the real one! If you do crash it, it is usally easy to repair and a new fuse is only $19!

Quote:
3) The LiPo batteries are more fragile than NiCad, and I will ruin the battery quickly and have to buy a new one.
rchmc
I have only lost 1 lipo in a stryker, ESC failed and nosed in from 300+ ft AGL! You'll want more Batts anyway, waiting to fly while a batt charges is real slow time!

Quote:
Should I opt for a B variant instead since it has NiCads which aren't as fragile?? It would probably be easier to control as well at only 50mph.
rchmc
Also has heavier wingloading with less power and shorter flying time!

Quote:
In contrast, could I be totally wrong and maybe I should stick with the F-27C? Perhaps I'll be fine with flying at decreased throttle until I get the hang of the Stryker? It sounds like it handles ok at slower speeds. Also am I being overly dramatic about the fragility of LiPos (It does seem that the design has the Lipo wedged in quite nicely and protectively)?

Please help me make up my mind! I'd love to go maiden this F-27C but I'm scared! Should I go for it? Thanks for all the great posts on the Stryker so far.. I await your expert advice!
rchmc
I'm no EXPERT, but I believe if you've been flying the same plane for a year then you should be able to handle a Styker! IMHO she's a great plane and I think you should keep it!
caliber305 is offline Find More Posts by caliber305
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:19 AM
United States, NC, Newland
Joined Nov 2005
92 Posts
I liked the Stryker brushless(friend has one),but I've decided on the Hobby-Lobby Thunderbird. It's completely covered(like econocote)& looks a lot better & tougher than just painted foam, & with DF it should fly off grass instead of having to try a hand-launch...
1funwingflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1funwingflyer
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:49 AM
Torrance, CA
Joined Apr 2006
37 Posts
Thanks for the great replies guys! RCPilotSki and caliber305, I think you've made a compelling argument for me to keep the C! I'll just start out slow and hope the Lipo never gets battered..

Mmmmmmm, that Thunderbird is a good looking plane, 1funwingflyer.. i'll have to keep that in mind for the future
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:24 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
Keep the C.

It really stable and flies pretty darn slow too. Takes wind like a champ!

Here's a little slower flying Vid. Don't mind the SPLAT. I just lost it in the sun.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656050

Have Fun!
Andy
I.C.O.N. is offline Find More Posts by I.C.O.N.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:46 PM
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
I went from an easystar to a stryker C. To sum it up... it did not happen. The stryker is not near as tough as the easystar. It is much more difficult to launch. That is where, I had my trouble. Launching a brushless stryker with your hand inches from the prop is an entirely different proposition. I had two successful flights. Then I nosed it in on the launch and the entire back end broke off. I repaired it, but plane was never right. If you have someone with experience that can help you out you would probably be OK. I would not try it alone. The plane you should definitely buy is the superfly from superflyrc.com I do not think there is any better bang for the buck. I wish I had bought it before I bought the stryker. I can now fly anything.
tekajo is offline Find More Posts by tekajo
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:16 PM
Purples a fruit
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,283 Posts
i had one stryker. and i did like it at the time. and for the price. instead of buying the whole thing i bought the parts and built mine. its only 20 bucks for the fuse and nose and a few dollars here and there for the other parts.

if you have the radio gear and are wanting to save money and get used to a stryker then thats another way to go. i flew mine on the stock motor you can get for 10 bucks and eventually burned it up. i put on a bl motor and it was much faster. you can get the stryker parts and a bp21 motor and cheap esc and have a plane that isnt as fast and climbs reallly good.

but since you have it fly it, have fun. find someone to help you launch it if you are worried. i'm really comfortable launching all types of planes and as long as you give it a hard level throw it glides long enough to fire up. you can also do a side arm throw with the motor running, trick is to let go smooth with out spinning the plane like a Frisbee.

the superfly is an awesome plane. also there is the superflea and the BRAND new hyperflea. but the fly is sooo dead stable. its a really awesome flyer.

superflyrc.com
punkrockd is offline Find More Posts by punkrockd
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:15 AM
Torrance, CA
Joined Apr 2006
37 Posts
F-27C's Maiden Flight!

Thank you for all the information, everyone. It really helped curb my indecisiveness to see some opinions here about the Stryker.

After all I decided to keep the brushless F-27C and I just took her out for her maiden flight. It was AWESOME.

I had a friend launch the bird and "hard level throw" really did work. As soon as it was released I gave it some juice and it shot into the air and immediately became responsive to my inputs. O what a joy it is to fly that plane! I estimate I kept the throttle at ~40% most of the time, but I did get a couple of high speed passes and of course some awe-inspiring vertical climbs.

One thing I wanted to test was the required glide time to land it.. and I found that that beast glides forever! luckily I gave myself quite a straight-away to find this out, and my first landing overshot where I wanted to land it even though I gave it probably 300 feet of gliding space. My 2nd flight was equally smooth and so far she hasn't sustained more than scuffs from landing.

In conclusion, this was an upgrade I'm glad I made and I think I'm going to get along with my Stryker "C". Thanks again for the advice!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:16 PM
Joined Jul 2004
658 Posts
It's so tempting... F27C PNP is $134
should i do it?

What prop size is the stock C version using? Might as well order some...
Thanks
CaptEvo is offline Find More Posts by CaptEvo
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:49 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
Prop is a 6x4 stock. I like the stryker C so far. I have beat the heck out of it and she is showing some wear and tear but still flies all right.

If you have the cash I would build one. Get a nice 35-45A ESC and some HS81's or 65MG's. There are many options for the motors too.

The stock Parkzone elects are Descent for the price but not great in durability or performance.

Fun Plan though. And rchmc is right about the glide. I took it up about 200' and had a good 30-40seconds of free flight down.

Where did you find it for $134? I might have to get another one!

Andy
Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:21 PM
Joined Jul 2004
658 Posts
thanks icon.
i was ginna build one but it'll come up with about the same cost.
and since i don't have much building time, pnp would fit me better.

ultimatehobbies.com
have to click on buy it to see price... lowest i've found. free shipping too.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:24 PM
Joined Jul 2004
658 Posts
hey icon,
was it apc prop came with it or parkzone prop?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:34 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
They are branded by Parkzone.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 01:32 PM
Torrance, CA
Joined Apr 2006
37 Posts
Well, I've been thoroughly enjoying my Stryker C and have had about a dozen flights with no crashing (just "rough landings" ) and I think I've convinced my buddy to get a Stryker C PNP so that we can try the sonic combat module.

Our only hesitation is whether he can use his existing Neon 3 Channel radio with the stryker. The PNP version says "minimum 4 ch radio required" but I'm not sure why? Is that because you need the 4th channel for the sonic combat module? If that's the case I believe we can just buy the 4th channel upgrade for the Hitec Neon tx. Am I missing something, or would his Neon SS with this toggle get a Stryker C into the air for some sonic combat?

I greatly appreciate any sonic combat veterans' advice!

rchmc