Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 09, 2002, 10:14 AM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
"Blue Foam Sliced"vs Blue Core/posterboard?

I have a hot wire cutter and some Dow Blue Foam 1" thick insulation material 4'x8' sheet.

If this is sliced thin, say 3/16"-1/4" (or whatever) could this be comparable to the "Blue Core" material that is a principle use or the WalMart foam board and perhaps the meat trays? It will cut clean at 1/8" thickness.

I have cut some thin slices, made some ribs out of foam and did a test construction of a wing section. Seems to be fairly sturdy, however, no completed projects yet. Original film could be on one side on some cuts and on others none. But could be reinforced with tape, paper or other materials to increase strength.

Anyone tried this approach, since the "Blue Core" fanfold is not available in my area. Meat trays are, but on the small size. Posterboard somewhat more expensive and trouble(subjective).

Looking at alternatives that might work.

Thanks in advance Bob
BobFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BobFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2002, 07:02 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
414 Posts
Hi Bob, I've been doing some experimenting with blue foam. I've cut it down to less than .02 inches to the point you can see through it. I really think blue insulation foam is an excellent building material. The advantage is the it weighs 2 lbs per cubic foot. It's homogenus which is probably a detractor since as strong or as week in all directions, depending on how you look at it. There are a lot of ways to use the material. Many have carved out fuselages and hollowed them out and covered them with epoxyglass. I personally like to build the structure up from sheets. Something to try is to cut a sheet, lightly sand the fuzz off and then compress to about 75% of it's original thickness. This gives a smoother harder surface to work with.
Using cominations of white foam and blue sheet you can come with a finished weight that is comparalbe to the commercial arfs. Here's an enclosed picture of Scootz. At the time of the picture she weighed 29.2 gms all up.
It's neat stuff. Have fun with it.
Roy
Roy E Oetting is offline Find More Posts by Roy E Oetting
Old Oct 10, 2002, 07:19 PM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,883 Posts
You will see a difference when you cut (hot wire) thin sections as opposed to extruded thin sections.
If you cut the foam on one side you may notice the prestressed side causing distortion. This can usually be countered by cutting both surfaces.
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:44 PM
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2003
26 Posts
Does hot wiring blue foam give off poisonous gasses? I have heard that it could possibly give on cyanide when hot wired.
ryancbr is offline Find More Posts by ryancbr
Old Nov 29, 2004, 01:07 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined May 2004
294 Posts
Hi Ryan, I'm pretty sure cutting any of these foams gives off some toxic gases.
I wouldn't think that blue foam would give off cyanide though since its used as insulation in houses. When I'm soldering and foam cutting I provide ventiilation.
I can still tie my shoes and spell my name.
Roy
RoyEOetting is offline Find More Posts by RoyEOetting
Old Nov 29, 2004, 09:12 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
I've been slicing my own foam from Blue SM as well - it's hard to find Bluecor in Canada. I can still tie my shoes and sign a cheque as well If you're wondering about the weights of foam, check here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8&page=1&pp=50

Here's a pic for ya as well: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=18

Brad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx