HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Should Military personel get a discount?
Who cares, quit whining! 14 8.48%
ABSOLUTELY give military people a discount! 73 44.24%
NOPE, they dont need special treatment. 48 29.09%
Give MILITARY, POLICE AND FIRE FIGHTERS a discount. 30 18.18%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:57 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Trader Rating: 57
Poll
Military Discounts? Your opinions please!

So whats the deal with that?

The only site I know of that ALWAYS offers a discount to military personel is Grayson Hobby (Excellent stuff too I might add).

Maybe just free shipping or something to the guys in the sandbox. Maybe a option upon check-out to donate a buck or two to an account to buy planes/parts etc... to send to deployed guys. Or maybe just a constant 5, 10 or 15% discount. Their sacrifice, and their families, deserve something!

And while Im at it, Fire Fighters and Police Officers should get something too! Heck, as an example, while moving my family from Ft. Rucker to Ft. Campbell we stopped at a hotel for the night. They REFUSED to give a military discount, but offered me 10% off the room price for having a stupid SAMS CLUB card! Now THAT is disgusting IMO. Needless to say, we didnt stay at the Red Roof Inn.

There are a few others who have donated stuff and gone out of there way to support some soldiers, especially deployed guys, but, for the most part no shops offer a discount to our troops!

Just a quick list of companies who I know for a fact have helped out with donations...

www.hobbylobby.com
www.fmadirect.com
www.trickrc.com
www.edgerc.com
www.superflyrc.com
www.castlecreations.com
www.toddsmodels.com
(if I forgot anyone PLEASE PM me, you deserve some recognition for helping "the guys" over there)

What do you all think?

Laine

EDIT: Here is a VERY LARGE list of companies who offer Military Discounts. Post number 175 of this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6&page=7&pp=25

Laine
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Last edited by lmopar69; Jun 09, 2007 at 11:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:07 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Trader Rating: 177
My local Hobbytown USA gives a military discount--as much as I dislike shopping there, I appreciate that they offer it. I don't believe they do an online discount, however...It would be tough to "verify" for online transactions.
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:07 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
Trader Rating: 32
I mean no offense by this....

But why should military get a special discount?
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:12 AM
GRAYSON HOBBY
Grayson, GA
Joined Oct 2003
1,087 Posts
Trader Rating: 49
Hey..I just sent a case over of USB sims to my old Units' BDE HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugequark
I mean no offense by this....

But why should military get a special discount?
No dollar amount can ever repay or thank a solider, marine or airmen or their family for all the sacrifices he/she makes for our freedom, but if they can stretch their budget from discounts, then its the least I and every other retail store can do.
Lt.Smash is offline Find More Posts by Lt.Smash
Last edited by Lt.Smash; Mar 14, 2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:14 AM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
I agree, you really dont deserve a special discount because of military service. Thats why you are paid. The same arguement could be used for almost any profession. I.E. teachers deserve a discount because they teach kids.
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:15 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,521 Posts
Trader Rating: 191
Well the fact that they willingly lay their life down on the line for those of us here is reason enough for me.
I have a son in the Navy and even though with what he does he is not in direct combat there is the fact that you go where they tell you to. And he could have just as easily been sent to a combat position. The fact that they volunteer to serve there country means a lot to me.
Anyone can be hurt or killed in the service.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:20 AM
GRAYSON HOBBY
Grayson, GA
Joined Oct 2003
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzardwarrior7
I agree, you really dont deserve a special discount because of military service. Thats why you are paid. The same arguement could be used for almost any profession. I.E. teachers deserve a discount because they teach kids.
School supply stores "DO" give teacher discounts.

FYI its not a Govenment Mandaite..Its the prerogative of store owners.
Last edited by Lt.Smash; Mar 14, 2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:31 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
Trader Rating: 23
Yes, But I think EVERYONE should get a discount.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:31 AM
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Aug 2004
1,178 Posts
Trader Rating: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Smash
I don't think this example really applies.

Teacher = School supply discount
Military personnel = Hobby supply discount

While I appreciate the sacrifices that soldiers and their families make, they did willingly sign up. While it's certainly a nice gesture to give discounts to these folks, I don't necessarily believe they deserve it. Now if we're talking discounts on body armor or weapons, I'd say hell yes.
StrangeGager is offline Find More Posts by StrangeGager
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:34 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
Trader Rating: 32
Quote:
Exactly. School supplies for teachers. I'm just curious what the RC hobby has to do with military service.

I am in no way saying I have a problem with an RC vendor giving the military a discount. But the title of tis thread includes "What gives?" Almost implying that a vedor is doing something wrong by NOT offering the military a discount. I recently bought several rounds for friends of a friend who were in the milatary. Although small and insignificant, it was my way of showing them my appreciation for what they do. But had I not bought them several rounds, would they have had a right to complain? Should they in turn have said "Hey, we're at a bar and we're in the military, how come nobody is buying us rounds? What gives?"
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:46 AM
GRAYSON HOBBY
Grayson, GA
Joined Oct 2003
1,087 Posts
Dunkin Doughnuts give the Police free coffee...

So

Teacher = School supply discount
Military personnel = Hobby supply discount
Police Officer = Free Coffee

This can go on and on.. Plan and simple I do it to show my gratitude.

All 'clubs' and organizations give each other discounts all the time for members past and present..
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:05 AM
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Aug 2004
1,178 Posts
Trader Rating: 80
Quote:
Dunkin Doughnuts give the Police free coffee...

Ah, I see. I always thought the police hung out at donut shops for the free doughnuts. Who knew...

Anyway, you're doing a great service by giving military discounts. I'm sure it has something to do with being ex or current military yourself. But I still don't think anyone deserves it, nor do I think vendors are obligated to give discounts to anyone.
StrangeGager is offline Find More Posts by StrangeGager
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:26 AM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Stevens Aeromodels offers discounts
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:52 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Trader Rating: 181
This is a free country and military service is entirely voluntary. Everyone has their own motivations for choosing their profession whether it be for income, paid education, adventure, patriotism, idealism, etc, but it is their choice and they are being fairly compensated in different ways. I greatly appreciate the risks and sacrifices our service men and women undergo for their choice of profession, but I also appreciate all the other good citizens who contribute enormously to our society (teachers, LE, Firemen, Public Services, Engineers, Medical, etc.). Again, this is a free society and nobody is entitled to anything other than one's individual rights as spelled out in the 1st 10 amendments to the US Constitution (aka "Bill of Rights").

Giving discounts for hobby items is a nice gesture by vendors who choose to do so, but IMO it should not be expected of them. Discounts given to servicemen for work related items is more appropriate and helpful considering that many of our servicemen deployed to combat areas often have to purchase their own supplemental equipment (eg, body armor, Aimpoint Comps and EOTechs, rail interfaces for their M4's, NVD's, larger cal sidearms, etc.) to get the job done right as some standard issue equipment may be inadequate for the task at hand. Again, it shouldn't be expected.

I would be opposed to anything mandating special privileges or benefits to a select group of citizens, in effect creating a class of "super citizens" which flies in the face of the fundamental principles this country was founded upon. All citizens are considered equal in the eyes of the law.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:16 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,327 Posts
Trader Rating: 96
I agree with DoubleTap completely. Military service is what it is, something an individual made a choice to do.

Regarding the comment about stretching their budgets (military families) really doesn't make sense in the RC realm to me. If their pay isn't sufficient to support their families then they certainly do not need to be spending on RC goods. Yes, military pay may not be as good as the private sector, but they did sign up for it and they need to deal with it.
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
Closed Thread