Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 13, 2007, 06:13 PM
Joined Jan 2007
37 Posts
Discussion
Nitro Engine Mods !

Ok. I would like to know what some of the little secrets are to bumping up the performance on these little engines. Is it porting , polishing, timing, piston clearance for more compression , shaved heads ,Pipes, fuels or additives, carbs, etc etc etc or is it a combination of some or all.

I want to try a Thundertiger 46 PRO for fun.

Who wants to tell some secrets that still allow your engine to overperform and still hold together reliably ??

Any suggestions from you nitro engine guys appreciated ?
kel1 is offline Find More Posts by kel1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2007, 06:29 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,202 Posts
since the TT has a nickel plated bore i wouldn't touch the ports. if i had to change them i'd maybe shim the whole sleeve up a bit...

probably the best you could do for this engine is to make sure the squish clearance is no more than 0.025", a properly tuned pipe and maybe a larger bore carb with pressurized fuel supply.

could probably be taken up into YS .45 territory.

dave
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:38 PM
Joined Jan 2007
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT
since the TT has a nickel plated bore i wouldn't touch the ports. if i had to change them i'd maybe shim the whole sleeve up a bit...

probably the best you could do for this engine is to make sure the squish clearance is no more than 0.025", a properly tuned pipe and maybe a larger bore carb with pressurized fuel supply.

could probably be taken up into YS .45 territory.

dave
What is the TT, where do the shims go, how do you pressurize your fuel supply and how do you check your squish properly ?
Can you modify(machine your carb) for better performance ?

Thanks
Kel
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:55 PM
Joined Nov 2006
432 Posts
Make the exshast port 10,000,s of an inch higher and use a mac tune pipe and header, which must be tuned as the instructions will explain. The fuel travels between the cylinder and the block or engine case polish exterior of clyinder sleve and interior on engine case in this area. If the intake port is cut straight thur to camber ___ at bottom trim exterior bottom of intake ort at an angle / ,BUT not all the way to interior, just rounding the corner off a little the clean-up fuel travel path. Now look thur carb while rotating crank shaft, notice the hole that TIMES fuel into bottom of block engine case. I wonder what would happen if that opened sooner or later in relation to top dead center? Hey guy I never actual done any of these mods , so you are on your own. Just food for thought! I have heard of engines set up that compressed the fuel in bottom of block on down stroke some prior to opening the intake port! How would you do that? Would it work? Or should you increase bottom block vacumn prior to the crank openning rotates to carb . Higher nitro fuel. Higher compression ..ie... lower head Hemmmmm
wylieruneyjr is offline Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:49 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,051 Posts
1. (Pet peeve so don't take it personally ) These are glow engines, not nitro engines. They don't even need nitro to run perfectly well. Yes I know, you see all these ads calling them nitro engines but it's almost always for cars and they're chasing the kiddie market .

2. The easiest and most immediate gain in HP is had by using a full length tuned pipe. You need a tacho to set the length but it also helps to have a bit of knowledge of what you're doing and why. A tuned pipe will give far more extra HP than any other type of mods. And it's reversible .

Don't play with the crankshaft timing because it's not critical. There's a huge variation in timings between manufacturers but you'll find the cylinder timings are all very similar. Before doing any mods at all you should have a good knowledge of how they work and what affect a change can have. It's easy to take metal off but a bit hard to put it back on .

wylieruneyjr
All 2 strokes compress the mixture during part of the downstroke and also give a partial vacuum on the upstroke to draw in the next mixture. It's how they work .
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:53 PM
Retired Army Aviator
New Mexico
Joined Nov 2004
310 Posts
Props make a big difference. Lets say a 10/6apc will bring an engine more to life than a master airscrew. What will also help is to tell us what plane.
Cyclic Hardover is offline Find More Posts by Cyclic Hardover
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:05 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT
since the TT has a nickel plated bore i wouldn't touch the ports. dave
I've done exhaust duration port mods on TT Pro36s and they were chrome ( then again I've done it on OS 46VFs and they were nickle, but they were late 80s vintage).
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:39 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder
1. (Pet peeve so don't take it personally ) These are glow engines, not nitro engines. They don't even need nitro to run perfectly well.
I'm with you on this one.

In fact, a glow engine won't even run on pure nitro -- it needs methanol to provide the catalytic reaction with the glowplug filament.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:24 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder
1. (Pet peeve so don't take it personally ) These are glow engines, not nitro engines. They don't even need nitro to run perfectly well. Yes I know, you see all these ads calling them nitro engines but it's almost always for cars and they're chasing the kiddie market .
forgot the promise i made to myself years ago: never post in a thread where "nitro" is being thrown around instead of the proper "glow". even weened my 16 year old brother from the evil word...

maybe i'm getting soft in my old age and need a good old "i wanna put a supercharger and nitrous in my nitro car" thread to wake me up...

dave
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:24 PM
Joined Nov 2006
432 Posts
No offense taken. How can you increase vacumn or pressure in the respect to modifing a GLOW engine for more power? Hummmmmmmm?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:26 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
Put a pipe on it.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:00 PM
Joined Jan 2007
37 Posts
I will be putting the "GLOW" engine in an easy sport 40. Its only my second plane but just wanted a little help with a bit of boost. It sonds like a pipe is the easiest way to go along with higher nitro content.
How much does a half decent tach cost?

Thanks guys
Kel
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:17 PM
Joined Nov 2006
432 Posts
Tower hobbies around 20.00 to 25.00 shipped 15% nitro is plenty trust me. Best fuel for me is Powermasters 15% nitro 15% oil mixed some caster/some synthic. This fuel is called 4 stroke fuel and is blue in color. Gives a few hundred extra RPM,s probable cause of the lower oil content. Most fuels run around 18% oil. Save your money and buy a Jett Engineering Sport 40 or 46. Its fast or maybe the sport 50 real fast or the sport 60LX insane fast It will warp drive your mind and blur your eye sight!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:25 PM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,133 Posts
A Thunder Tiger (TT) .46 Pro is a nice engine. A good and cheap ($15.00) "mod" is to install a Tower .46's muffler on it instead of the stock one. You will gain several hundred r.p.m. without any drawbacks that a tuned pipe will have. Put a 10 X 7 APC prop on it and Powermaster 15% nitro fuel, and an O.S. #8 plug, you'll have a nice airplane with some speed to 'er...
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop