HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2007, 04:08 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Video
Pusher Prop Wash Compensation

Behaviour of a pusher gyro without and with prop wash compensation.

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:27 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,710 Posts
Prop wash test
britinoz is online now Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:40 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
777 Posts
Is this an issue with wash over the tail?
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:21 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,478 Posts
Hmmm ... well my interest is piqued. After looking at the vid several times I am missing what you did to correct 'prop wash' .... but then I am about half drunk.

Nice looking model though.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:56 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
fter looking at the vid several times I am missing what you did to correct 'prop wash' ....
The rotation is caused by the spiral slip stream corkscrewing off the prop and hitting the vertical stabiliser at an angle causing it to generate 'sideways lift'..

Two ways you can fix it either offset the vertical stab or add thrust offset, thrust offset is best because it varies with motor power, so it doesn't upset low power/glide trim as offsetting the vertical stab would do.

If it were be I'd have offset the motor thrust line so that (looking from the rear) the motor was angled to the right slightly (right thrust). Looks like the OP decided to move the entire motor over to the right, this is another way of doing it which should work just as well, but it looks a bit odd.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:20 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,742 Posts
A little left rudder would stop it too. If it's for a gyrocopter it will need a lot of rudder at any rate.

Gord
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:45 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,594 Posts
Only problem with using rudder (exact same thing as offsetting the vertical stab) is that it will only be 'right' at one power setting. One option with computer Tx's is to program in a throttle to rudder mix, that would work well.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:34 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,742 Posts
Yeah, I don't see a moveable rudder on it. Maybe weight shifting like a hanglider. Used to fly those things. You move the bar and wait for something to happen. It was great fun just the same. Lucky I didn't kill myself.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:49 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
The rotation is caused by the spiral slip stream corkscrewing off the prop and hitting the vertical stabiliser at an angle causing it to generate 'sideways lift'..

Two ways you can fix it either offset the vertical stab or add thrust offset, thrust offset is best because it varies with motor power, so it doesn't upset low power/glide trim as offsetting the vertical stab would do.

If it were be I'd have offset the motor thrust line so that (looking from the rear) the motor was angled to the right slightly (right thrust). Looks like the OP decided to move the entire motor over to the right, this is another way of doing it which should work just as well, but it looks a bit odd.
Ahhh .. thank you. I see now. I looked again at the vid and I do see where he offset the motor. I was 'seeing' the back of the black mount as a shadow.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member